Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonic CD Enhanced Soundtrack v2

PimpTaxi is real 2401 Master of Shinobi PimpUigi's Avatar

Sonic Sonic CD Enhanced Soundtrack v2

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?7kcsmvu270am8ka (also includes a high quality version of the Sonic CD intro FMV, as well as a region hacked Sonic CD JP iso + cue file [cue file can be used for any sonic CD image])

Sonic CD is the greatest 2D Sonic of all time.
    Featuring 78 levels, two complete OST's, and the Super Peel Out (AKA best Spin Dash ever)
    It's also the fastest of the 2D Sonic games (thanks to the Super Peel Out,) with the best Time Attack records totaling 10:56'29

The reason this differs greatly from my old custom soundtrack is because I was searching around the net one day, and found there were a handful of 12 inch versions of Sonic CD US tracks, and there were also unused loop bits in the JP Sonic CD beta.
    I've decided to integrate these 12 inch tracks, and JP loop bits into my custom soundtrack, to make an enhanced soundtrack.
    JP songs will now loop virtually seemlessly in MP3 players, if you so choose to leave them on endless loop. There is still a slight pause in the game.

Also, due to many PM's and requests, I've included a region hacked JP Sonic CD ISO image that will boot off of US Sega CD's

---
    Tracks listed in order of file names, and any enhancements noted.
    Sonic02: JP Boss music - with loop bit added in (track is not used in game)
    Palmtree Panic "P" Mix: US
    Palmtree Panic "G" Mix: JP (with JP "P" Mix intro)
    Palmtree Panic "B" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Collision Chaos "P" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Collision Chaos "G" Mix: JP (Metallic Madness "G" Mix with loop bit added in)
    Collision Chaos "B" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Tidal Tempest "P" Mix: US
    Tidal Tempest "G" Mix: JP (JP Tidal Tempest "P" Mix with loop bit added in)
    Tidal Tempest "B" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Quartz Quadrant "P" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Quartz Quadrant "G" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Quartz Quadrant "B" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Wacky Workbench "P" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Wacky Workbench "G" Mix: US (custom 12 inch mix)
    Wacky Workbench "B" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Stardust Speedway "P" Mix: US
    Stardust Speedway "G" Mix: JP
    Stardust Speedway "B" Mix: US (12 inch version)
    Metallic Madness "P" Mix: US
    Metallic Madness "G" Mix: US (Stardust Speedway "G" Mix - 12 inch version)
    Metallic Madness "B" Mix: US
    Boss Music: JP (JP Final Boss music with three US laugh sets added in)
    Final Boss Music: US
    Title Screen: US (edited to not cut itself off)
    Time Attack: JP
    Stage Clear: US (edited to flow and be short enough to not cut itself off)
    Speed Shoes: US (tempo sped up from 44100 to 48000, length changed from :22, to :20 seconds long)
    Invincibility: JP
    Game Over: US
    Special Stage: US
    Little Planet: JP
    Intro: JP
    Credits: JP

Total tracks
    Total JP: 20 (59% of total)
    Total US: 14 (41% of total)
    ---

---
    Custom soundtrack intended for people who would prefer to use the US version ISO out of their love for Sonic Boom.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nr64tbtutkex4nb

This version of the soundtrack exists to provide the US version with its own soundtrack.
    This is because the US version plays the Stardust Speedway "G" Mix when you race Metal Sonic in the Good Future. The JP/PAL version always plays the "B" Mix when you race Metal Sonic.

Another problem, is that DA Garden, and Time Attack use different tracks depending on the version of the game. The US version actually uses its DA Garden music for the time attack theme.

Collision Chaos "G" Mix: US
    Stardust Speedway "G" Mix: US (12 inch version)
    Metallic Madness "G" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    (not used in US version) Time Attack Track: US Little Planet
    Time Attack/Little Planet: JP Time Attack
    Intro: US (custom 12 inch mix)
    Credits: US (custom 12 inch mix)
    ---
    The JP version of Sonic CD always plays the Stardust Speedway "B" Mix during the race with Metal Sonic.
    The US version of Sonic CD allows you to restart any stage from the beginning at the cost of a life. This is useful for time attacking past and future stages from the level select.
    The US version also has less slowdown than the JP version.
    Last edited by PimpUigi; 01-03-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture View Post
    It's not "I like big boobies, where's a pic of Jennifer Love Hewitt!" it's "I like big boobies, and this Sonic character has them. Score!!"

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

HUH?
    Last edited by zetastrike; 08-23-2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: poor choice of picture
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

This is probably awesome; but unfortunately I strongly prefer the Japanese soundtrack over the US one, so this enhanced US soundtrack would just be lost on me. lol

Also, due to many PM's and requests, I have done two extra things.
    1. I've included a region hacked JP Sonic CD ISO image that will boot off of US Sega CD's
    ^Wait -- What's the diff b/w that and the ISO image used for ur other awesome enhanced versions? I thought the Sonic CD ISO image was exactly the same for the JAP and US versions (and ur enhanced versions), with only the soundtrack diff b/w the diff versions...

2. I've created an alternate enhanced soundtrack that includes enhanced Sonic Boom songs for people who liked them
    No thanks, I HATE Sonic Boom. lol

The ISO image wasn't actually in the rar file before.
    So it's the same one you have.

I also dislike Sonic Boom overall.
    I like it in small doses, but it really has no place in the intro or ending videos.
    I only included them as alternate files for people who do like/love Sonic Boom (go figure?)

The new loop bits in the JP tracks should be interesting for you : )

It's not "I like big boobies, where's a pic of Jennifer Love Hewitt!" it's "I like big boobies, and this Sonic character has them. Score!!"

The two Sonic CD ost's are both awesome, though I think the Japan one sounds better and is more fitting for a Sonic game. Your project sounds cool, but I don't think the two ost's would mix well with each other. I figure just keep the Japan tracks together and the US tracks together. I personally prefer having the US iso with the Japanese ost so the stardust speedway G mix plays during the metal sonic race.
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PimpUigi View Post
    The ISO image wasn't actually in the rar file before.
    So it's the same one you have.
    Oh good. Thanks for clarifying!

I also dislike Sonic Boom overall.
    I like it in small doses, but it really has no place in the intro or ending videos.
    I only included them as alternate files for people who do like/love Sonic Boom (go figure?)

The new loop bits in the JP tracks should be interesting for you : )
    Yes the new loop bits is a very cool idea (haven't checked it out yet tho). The new version itself sounds awesome; it's just that I really don't like some parts of the US soundtrack to begin with, so the enhanced US soundtrack wd just go over my head, sadly. lol

Each of ur previous enhanced versions of Sonic CD have ALL been awesome. But to me personally, the real hidden gem is the all-JAP version, which u also helped me get my grubby paws on. IMO it is quite the hidden gem of the Sega CD itself, b/c so many people must have only played the US version & never even knew about the JAP version, w/ its FAR superior soundtrack IMO. Much more fitting to the game, much more experimental, trippy, etc. And there's no Sonic Boom thank god lol

I believe the JP OST to be the superior one as well.

However IMHO it does have down sides.
    Like Palmtree Panic "G" and "P" are basically the same.
    Some of the tracks like Wacky Workbench "G" or Metallic Madness "B" are basically, bad tracks...
    And then there's tracks that make no sense. Such as the boss music, or the stage clear music.

The US soundtrack on the other hand, is by large bad. However, it does certain things just as good, and a few things better.
    And the things the JP OST has that don't make sense, the US version does them so they make sense.
    That's why combining them is so cool.

It's just so cool that there's two soundtracks to cherry-pick from to make the best possible soundtrack. (which I believe to be my JP intended version)

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    ^Wait -- What's the diff b/w that and the ISO image used for ur other awesome enhanced versions? I thought the Sonic CD ISO image was exactly the same for the JAP and US versions (and ur enhanced versions), with only the soundtrack diff b/w the diff versions...
    The Japanese version had different internal cues such as the time attack music and Stardust Speedway boss music as listed above. Also, if you just swap the soundtracks, the US version will still have the same music play for the ending FMV (and probably for the intro FMV too, but I haven't confirmed this). The PC version actually does use the CD tracks for this, so it isn't a problem. I have a theory that switching the binary files (e.g. "BADEND.bin") will fix this, so you can have all the Japanese music with the US version of the game.

The US version also waits longer to fade out after tallying your scores.
    10 seconds vs. 6 seconds or so.

I think the JP version is the better one to play, since it only plays the "B" mix of the music for the Metal Sonic race (as I believe it should, but it's cool that the US version designed both "B" and "G" mixes to be the boss music, it would obviously make no sense with the Japanese "G" mix being used) skips to the next stage faster, and lets you have the proper intro and ending FMV's without editing an iso file.

I think the US version is the best for past and future time attacks thanks to its exclusive feature of letting you reset a stage at the cost of a life.

I believe the JP OST to be the superior one as well.

However IMHO it does have down sides.
    Like Palmtree Panic "G" and "P" are basically the same.
    Some of the tracks like Wacky Workbench "G" or Metallic Madness "B" are basically, bad tracks...
    And then there's tracks that make no sense. Such as the boss music, or the stage clear music.

The US soundtrack on the other hand, is by large bad. However, it does certain things just as good, and a few things better.
    And the things the JP OST has that don't make sense, the US version does them so they make sense.
    That's why combining them is so cool.

It's just so cool that there's two soundtracks to cherry-pick from to make the best possible soundtrack. (which I believe to be my JP intended version)
    I always thought the Japan boss music destroys the US one. The US track is just a bunch of sound effects, while the Japan one makes good use of clips and sounds appropriate. I also like racing metal sonic to the Japan Stardust Speedway G mix. I've always thought the Japan ost captures the feel of the levels a lot better, like Collision Chaos escpecially. It really takes the Genesis Sonic sound and improves on it. The best example of the Japan ost being way better is the Quartz Quadrant present track. In the J ost its a beautiful track with four different movements. The US track is generic guitar grinding. That's really the problem with the US ost, it sounds all generic and depressing. Not fitting for a character like Sonic.

Exactly. I agree completely.

But the JP OST drops the ball at Stardust Speedway "P" and "B" mixes (same thing with Metallic Madness thanks to the terrible sampling done to otherwise good tracks)
    They don't fit the stage at all, and don't even fit Sonic.
    This is where the US soundtrack picks up where JP fumbled. Having "P" "B" and even "G" mixes that own for Stardust Speedway, have a Sonic feel, and aren't just generic.

You can see most of the stages I use the JP tracks, the US tracks are mostly used for generic stuff you often hear, like stage cleared, speed shoes, or game over.

I would listen to the tracks side by side, as well as play the level with each track to see which fit best.

Sports Talker

I always thought the Japanese soundtrack made more sense, since all the tracks for a single stage are different mixes or arrangements of the same composition. The US soundtrack only did this in a few places. The US soundtrack was of course much darker sounding. That boss music freaked me out first time I heard it (has anyone else noticed the subtle differences between the normal and final boss musics in this version). I do think that the US had better vocal tracks, though. The songs in the Japanese version were way lamer. And what was with them using the title screen theme for time attack? The D.A. Garden track works way better.

Sonic

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=38I0VEAI (also includes a high quality version of the Sonic CD intro FMV, as well as a region hacked Sonic CD JP iso + cue file [cue file can be used for any sonic CD image])

Sonic CD is the greatest 2D Sonic of all time.
    Featuring 78 levels, two complete OST's, and the Super Peel Out (AKA best Spin Dash ever)
    It's also the fastest of the 2D Sonic games (thanks to the Super Peel Out,) with the best Time Attack records totaling 10:56'29

The reason this differs greatly from my old custom soundtrack is because I was searching around the net one day, and found there were a handful of 12 inch versions of Sonic CD US tracks, and there were also unused loop bits in the JP Sonic CD beta.
    I've decided to integrate these 12 inch tracks, and JP loop bits into my custom soundtrack, to make an enhanced soundtrack.
    JP songs will now loop virtually seemlessly in MP3 players, if you so choose to leave them on endless loop. There is still a slight pause in the game.

Also, due to many PM's and requests, I have done two extra things - on top of adding in the JP loop bits and 12 inch tracks.
    1. I've included a region hacked JP Sonic CD ISO image that will boot off of US Sega CD's
    2. Now included is an alternate enhanced soundtrack that includes enhanced Sonic Boom songs for people who liked them

---
    Tracks listed in order of file names, and any enhancements noted.
    Sonic02: JP Boss music - with loop bit added in (track is not used in game)
    Palmtree Panic "P" Mix: US
    Palmtree Panic "G" Mix: JP (with JP "P" Mix intro)
    Palmtree Panic "B" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Collision Chaos "P" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Collision Chaos "G" Mix: [[Depends on the soundtrack used]]
    Collision Chaos "B" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Tidal Tempest "P" Mix: US
    Tidal Tempest "G" Mix: JP (JP Tidal Tempest "P" Mix with loop bit added in)
    Tidal Tempest "B" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Quartz Quadrant "P" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Quartz Quadrant "G" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Quartz Quadrant "B" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Wacky Workbench "P" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Wacky Workbench "G" Mix: US (custom 12 inch mix)
    Wacky Workbench "B" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    Stardust Speedway "P" Mix: US
    Stardust Speedway "G" Mix: [[Depends on the soundtrack used]]
    Stardust Speedway "B" Mix: US (12 inch version)
    Metallic Madness "P" Mix: US
    Metallic Madness "G" Mix: [[Depends on the soundtrack used]]
    Metallic Madness "B" Mix: US
    Boss Music: JP (JP Final Boss music with three US laugh sets added in)
    Final Boss Music: US
    Title Screen: US (edited to not cut itself off)
    Stage Clear: US (edited to flow and be short enough to not cut itself off)
    Speed Shoes: US (tempo sped up from 44100 to 48000, length changed from :22, to :20 seconds long)
    Invincibility: JP
    Game Over: US
    Special Stage: US
    Little Planet: [[Depends on the soundtrack used]]
    Intro: [[Depends on the soundtrack used]]
    Credits: [[Depends on the soundtrack used]]

Total tracks included in JP version
    Total JP: 20 (59% of total)
    Total US: 14 (41% of total)

Total tracks included in US version
    Total JP: 17 (50% of total)
    Total US: 17 (50% of total)
    ---

---
    JP Soundtrack

Collision Chaos "G" Mix: JP (Metallic Madness "G" Mix with loop bit added in)
    Stardust Speedway "G" Mix: JP
    Metallic Madness "G" Mix: US (Stardust Speedway "G" Mix - 12 inch version)
    Little Planet: JP
    Intro: JP
    Credits: JP
    ---

---
    US Soundtrack

This version of the soundtrack exists to provide the US version with its own soundtrack.
    This is because the US version plays the Stardust Speedway "G" Mix when you race Metal Sonic in the Good Future. The JP/PAL version always plays the "B" Mix when you race Metal Sonic.

Another problem, is that DA Garden, and Time Attack use different tracks depending on the version of the game. The US version actually uses its DA Garden music for the time attack theme.

Collision Chaos "G" Mix: US
    Stardust Speedway "G" Mix: US (12 inch version)
    Metallic Madness "G" Mix: JP (with loop bit added in)
    (not used in US version) Time Attack Track: US Little Planet
    Time Attack/Little Planet: JP Time Attack
    Intro: US (custom 12 inch mix)
    Credits: US (custom 12 inch mix)
    ---
    The JP version of Sonic CD always plays the Stardust Speedway "B" Mix during the race with Metal Sonic.
    The US version of Sonic CD allows you to restart any stage from the beginning at the cost of a life. This is useful for time attacking past and future stages from the level select.
    The US version also has less slowdown than the JP version.
    Holy ****!!!
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26764&dateline=128258  8271

Quote Originally Posted by H. Dunlin View Post
    I always thought the Japanese soundtrack made more sense, since all the tracks for a single stage are different mixes or arrangements of the same composition. The US soundtrack only did this in a few places. The US soundtrack was of course much darker sounding. That boss music freaked me out first time I heard it (has anyone else noticed the subtle differences between the normal and final boss musics in this version). I do think that the US had better vocal tracks, though. The songs in the Japanese version were way lamer. And what was with them using the title screen theme for time attack? The D.A. Garden track works way better.
    I disagree about the vocal tracks, especially the ending theme. The JP vocals are so much more thought out and inspiring IMHO.
    Like,
    "Extraordinary thing can happen if you believe in yourself
    You've got to have some faith in yourself, if you want respect from your friends
    When you feel tight, Look at yourself
    Inside your heart you will find a special place to unwind
    When you feel right, Look at yourself
    Inside your mind you will see - Cosmic Eternity"
    Or,
    "Toot, toot, Sonic Warrior
    Deep in space and time
    Toot, toot, Sonic Warrior
    Forever in your mind!
    Nothing can survive, the will to stay alive
    'cause if you try, you can do anything"

I also like the way I did it, with the 3 inch Sonic Boom track for the title screen, and the JP screen theme for the time attack, so they have different songs.
    And then Little Planet is still exclusive for DA Garden, and everything has a place.

Much better that way.
    Another reason the custom soundtrack is so perfect.
    Last edited by PimpUigi; 10-17-2010 at 04:48 AM.

Any plans on reuploading this seeing as megaupload has be taken down

Thread Information