Genesis 32X
    Saturn model 2
    Genesis model 3
    Dreamcast
    FC3 Plus
    Gen Core (sonic version)
    Megadrive Gopher

Quote Originally Posted by Elusive View Post
    Ecco the Dolphin sums it up nicely. It's not a game for your kids, unless you want to mentally traumatise them.
    Agreed! This game was so mysterious to me as a kid. I never got past the first level, so I never actually got to the really creepy, mystical parts of that game until I was an adult. A big part of the eerie factor was the music, which was so atmospheric. Less horror and more just a general unsettling feeling.

Also as a kid, I was scared to play Mortal Kombat because of the gore and Altered Beast because of the animal transformations (I was a pretty sheltered child).

As an adult, I guess Haunting Starring Polterguy and The Immortal would still qualify, as they were pretty violent and gory as well.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

The transformations in Altered Beast were definitely creepy to me as a kid. That very fact, however, intrigued me much more than it pushed me away. In the end, moments like that are likely why I saw "the Sega" as such an insurmountable mountain of cool, and why I became fixated on getting one.

Actually, I could say the same for Mortal Kombat too. Not so much the Genesis version, but the arcade game's creepiness similarly intrigued me. What always stood out in particular was the first time I saw Scorpion harpoon someone and reel them in, and the seldom seen but thoroughly haunting "game over" screen which featured the camera's deliberate descent through the gore-stained tomb of The Pit.

My balls are so wet right now.

Death Adder's minion

I was always terrified of the game over screen on F-22 Interceptor. As a kid, I did what I could to not die just so I wouldn't have to deal with it (I otherwise enjoyed this game immensely back then).

Seen at 1:01 in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTbdN8rh5ug

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Since the Sega CD was brought up, I remember an image, in a magazine I had at the time, of Rise of the Dragon(which I guess the SCD version adopted the subtitle: A Blade Hunter Mystery), where this mohawked woman was freaking out from some sort of drug abuse, or something. The image itself was creepy, but I believe that led to a gruesome death scene to boot.

Nothing on the genesis ever scared or creeped me out. Hence my avatar. I grew up on horror at a young age. Genesis was the first system I owned and played when I was five in the early 90's.

My recollection of being creeped out or scared in a game wasn't until resident evil and silent hill on PS1.

Nameless One

One of the creepiest moments to me was Shinobi III's third boss:

Attachment 10442

Chakan is a game that has a very dark mood. Don't like to play it at night because it makes me feel depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paige View Post
    I was always terrified of the game over screen on F-22 Interceptor. As a kid, I did what I could to not die just so I wouldn't have to deal with it (I otherwise enjoyed this game immensely back then).
    Yes! I'd be OK with the EKG machine flat-lining like that, but did they really need to show a creepy skull on the display, too? I always got the feeling my pilot burned his face off during the crash. It's surprisingly disturbing and unexpected considering the rest of the game.

Formerly segafan1989 Master of Shinobi 4Runner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
    the scariest thing i've ever seen on a sega genesis is a 32X
    Hahahaha, that was a good one!

In Sonic Spinball there was a giant monster that would try to eat Sonic in the first level if he stood on the podium at the bottom too long.

Otherwise I usually am not scared of anything in a game and back when I was a kid those Wallmasters from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask did scare me for a little while, and in the PS1 Frogger those giant spiders give me chills.

Default Slightly off topic?

Well, I have found some creepy stuff caked inside Genesis cartridges (and outside). The worst was this tough to identify, swirly-brown, cottage cheese-looking gunk I found on a copy of Elemental Master that I got from a thrift store 15 odd years ago. This mildew scented crap was all over the pins too! One of my friends with me at the time remarked that it "looks like you got some dirty caulk up in there", and we laughed about that for like 10 minutes. The folks working there stared at us like we were going to rob them.

Anyways, it didn't smell that bad (like a moist basement) and although it was a pain, I managed to get it all off (and part of the label unfortunately). Still works fine today.
    Last edited by Jump Space; 07-09-2015 at 12:19 PM.

I don't recall anything on my Mega Drive, but something did happen on PC that I'd like to share in this topic. We were playing the original Alone in the Dark (spoilers for the ending of the game ahead!!) and finished all puzzles and went for the front door. Carnby left the house and headed for the taxi cab. You'd then get a shot where you'd see the driver's head from behind. After a short while he'd turn around, reveal being a baddie, laugh, and drive off. That's not how it went for us. We were looking at the back of the driver and in the second he was turning around - some vital part in the computer went out with a loud bang, we jumped in our seats.
    Of course it sucked that the computer was dead, but we still talk about our best Alone in the Dark experience ever!

Nameless One

I have a couple of memories of my own:

1) My first two games when i was 7 years old were Sonic 2...and Alien. From the latter one, there is a non-standard game over where if you run out of time, an alien comes out of the stomaches of the unfreed prisoners. When i saw it for the first time, i was so scared that i started shaking...and my parents banned the game away from me, preferring the epyleptic Sonic 2. I never played Alien again to this day, although now i'm almost 30 and i may manage to witness the sequence without a blink. I just prefer to not try.

2) As a kid, i was refusing to play Revenge of Shinobi because of the game over screen. Which is quite standard, as you should know. But the manual stated that if i die, my kidnapped girlfriend would be killed as well, and i definitely wouldn't want to take the risk of witnessing that. So no game at all, just to be safe.

So yrah, i was quite the impressionable child. I'm less impressionable today, but i'm still the "better safe than sorry" type of guy.

A Fabio Gunstar Wildside Expert moonmaster1's Avatar

Totally forgot about this thread, well cool! I got another one but and its not discussed often. Since its not a licensed game.

I went to a convention at the flea market today and went to a vendor booth selling game reproductions with a tv and console so you can try before you buy. Stuck on which game I wanted more, I vowed to come back in a bit and make up my mind.

I come back later and find that a girl wanted to demo AN ORDINARY SONIC HACK! Mind you the TV is on at full blast.So every creepy tune, every jumpscare and distorted noise blared into my hear as I vowed to look away from the sega screen every time after the first playthrough. Quickly I bought a copy of Mortal Kombat 2 Unlimited and went about my business.

The scariest thing is I hear rumblings over at sonic retro that the game is being reworked and possibly finished. Oh no.

Thread Information