Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Todd's Adventures in Slime World

The biggest with the port wasn't with the sound, but with the frame rate. I found the frame rate to be really choppy. The Genesis was able to do better than this. It's more like shitty programing to me.

Edit: OK, the sound was pure crap. If I was doing the review, I would gave the game a 5 for horrible sound effects, horrible frame rate, and time to time it's hard to move Todd around.
    Last edited by ThunderForce; 07-10-2006 at 11:53 PM.

I think the music in Genny Slime World was just straight MIDI conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by RaveFury
    Soooo... Why is Todd bouncing around in Slime World anyway? From the looks of one of the screenshots, he seems to be some sort of military man sent in to clean up the Silme World threat.
    From the manual:

GET READY FOR THE "SLIME" OF YOUR LIFE

Space exploration has become a means for recreation. Couples have spent their weekends finding new planets. From out of the woodworks come reports of strange new worlds in wild new solar systems. The furthest reaches of the galaxy are now so familiar, and every day space seems a less foreign place. Until that fateful day when documents arrived in Todd's office.

Todd was getting antsy sitting behind a desk. He had been without a mission for almost six hours when his counterpart Rooney came rushing in with a manilla folder. Sweat was flowing off Rooney's cheeks and his eyeballs were practically sprinting from his skull.

"Todd! Todd! Todd!"

"Calm down," Todd replied. "What is it? What's that in your hand?"

"It's orders, I think, Todd. Hurry! Open it up."

"OK, OK. I'm just as excited as you are. Before I open this, put your eyeballs back in your head. Who knows, maybe we'll get out of this cubicle," Todd replied.

Things like this happened almost on a daily basis. The space exploration business was thriving as the planet Earth become more and more boring to the human intellect. Seeing earthly locations was old-hat... everyone had had enough of the Grand Canyon and the Great Wall of China. As Todd pulled the envelope open his hands got covered with the clear glue-stick indigenous to manilla folders.

"Man, I hate this slime! Orders always come right down the hall, which I open immediately so I can get off my rear. Why do they put this goopy stuff all over it?"

"Read it, read it! I'm in suspense, Todd."

"Alright. It says: The displacement equipment established on Beta Delta in the Gamma Mu Eta system has had signs of life forms on a newly discovered blue-green planet nearby. The planet is un-explored, but it is made up of some unknown semi liquid material. We are to report immediately to Beta Delta with our life-support suits.

"Can you believe it? Beta Delta! Gamma Mu Eta. Those places are soooo far away... we'll be gone for generations!" Todd announced gleefully.

"Whoooppeeee!!!" Rooney exclaimed!

Todd grabbed his key and a stick of chewing gum, then shut out the light. He knocked down one side of his cubicle as he raced behind Rooney. He turned around quickly to see a chain reaction of cubicles falling and people moaning. "Man, I love this job!"

Little did Todd and Rooney realize that the Slime World already claimed some victims. The globs of green, blue, and red slime gurgle around now, expecting new victims who hope to colonize its seemingly docile surface. But the planet awaits their arrival to challenge their survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Fighter17
    The biggest with the port wasn't with the sound, but with the frame rate. I found the frame rate to be really choppy. The Genesis was able to do better than this. It's more like shitty programing to me.
    That's not a frame rate issue or anything of the sort -- Todd walks around and climbs everything at a decent clip, but I think the lack of animation frames and the way the game scrolls and focuses on Todd help give it a "slow look."

Wow.

Now I know why i shouldnt look at the scores only when i do random purchases.

"hmmm, slime world, that got a decent review on Sega-16 didnt it?"

Oh well. Pays 2$ on ebay. Waits a week and tries it.

This is by far the worst game I own for the system. The music is causing my ears to implode, the graphics are like some on already mention 8-bit standard. The animations are sword of sodan style and ...... I REALLY REALLY HATE IT!
    Euro... Trash... Girl

Quote Originally Posted by winona
    This is by far the worst game I own for the system. The music is causing my ears to implode, the graphics are like some on already mention 8-bit standard. The animations are sword of sodan style and ...... I REALLY REALLY HATE IT!
    Have you really sat down and played it, or are you that turned off by the poor graphics and sound? It really is a fun little exploration game -- the level design is great and the various modes keep it interesting. Also, as bad as the graphics are, I disagree that they're Sword of Sodan bad. Slime World packs far more sprites on-screen along with larger levels and many more routes to take. The only thing Sword of Sodan has over it is sprite size and color depth.

I have always stayed clear of games withouth smooth controlls. Slime World seems almost random in how your charachter oozes across the screen.
    Euro... Trash... Girl

Oh, I just thought that I should point out that the review is excellent, eventhough I dont agree with it at all
    Euro... Trash... Girl

Thanks. That's fine that you disagree. It's hardly a system seller. Personally, I find the somewhat clunky control is needed for the game, and once you see how valuable it is that you can move Todd and aim him almost frame-by-frame, you begin to appreciate it. Lots of dangerous tunnels require just the right shot to clear a safe path, and loose Contra-like control would be horrible for this sort of game and make it so much more difficult.

Master of Shinobi ary incorparated's Avatar

This game suck Ballz(out of a cristmas tree)i have it on my lynx on that its almost too obvious 8 bit and btw wasnt the lynbx 8 bit instead of 16 bit it looked ass ugly and even the best looking games couldnt compete with altred beast.This game suck and certianly if you go and look what a genesis can do compare it to ristar or to hang on or to italia 91 it looses no matter what so just very poor programming this game has nothing a shinobi from 89 has,same for sensible soccer as for this one in graphics and i think for the sound it uses 2 channels of the psg Yuck Avoid this slow slow crap.,

I guess I have to start considering this a guilty pleasure, cause I really enjoy playing it. In fact, it's one of the first games that I went after when I started buying up my old Genny games again.

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

I do agree this game has a strange kind of charm.

Nice thread resurrection btw. Only been 6 years, lol.

Todd's Adventures in Slime World rocks on the Lynx. I've always heard the Genesis version isn't as good, though I haven't tried it myself. Of course, no way the Genesis can allow for 8-player multiplayer action like the Lynx version.

And contrary to popular belief, there were some great looking games on the Lynx, TAiSW being one of them

Thread Information