• Gunstar

40 44.94%
  • Hard Corps

42 47.19%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Konami Treasure: Contra III/Gunstar Heroes/Hard Corps

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 16bitter View Post
    Your analytical ability: just another example of speciation versus specious logic.

Which pretty much deals with the majority of your, somehow, text-screech paragraphs.

Maybe menstruation should be thrown in. As a poll option.

Well, the idea of you insulting someone on the grounds of sagacity is about like Trig Palin calling someone stupid.

Time away is called Hollywood. On the weekend.

AKA having a life.

Foreign concept?

Who said it was my favorite?

Nobody, and no one. I'll let you figure out where you fit in.

You deny that the two differ rather radically in design philosophy?

Yet, wasn't this a big part of your argument to the side of 'Hard Corps'?

Still waiting for 15+ year old games to become new again.

And somehow assuming that the post was written for you.

I still find it wholly amusing how you constantly use age as an insult, on this board. So inept.

And what outpaces any ostensible or specific argument as far as age is likewise something that you standardized as central to your viewpoint: fanboy emotionalism.

The general flow of the two games is markedly different, as accidentally pointed out by you in one of your talking points: e.g. 58 Bosses.

As far as that moment, specifically, it's a big setup that is quickly segued -- it takes seconds -- into an action sequence that is all about obstacle-based platforming that can be played at a breakneck pace.

Not the best of examples to your side, in other words. Just a hint.

Mm. That leaves 2/3 of the game as...a non-boss rush experience. By your own count. (oh, wait)

Further, one of the biggest differences or issues in 'Hard Corps' is just how often it stops the screen dead for another boss confrontation.

Level 4 of 'Alien Wars' is of constant movement. Certainly there are moments like this in 'Hard Corps' as well, but there are so many that aren't like this.

A problem? Perhaps. Certainly a difference.

Versus an entire game designed around this precept.

That you for some reason take as an insult. A personal affront.

Notice the question marks. There's a reason they're behind the descriptions -- as in, they're questioning their veracity.

Pretty basic on the logic and grammar scale.

The two characters are very bland. They may be archetypes -- rather inescapable, perhaps -- but I don't think they're immediately iconic in any way.

I suppose not many people could live up to your awe-inspiring mad skillz, seeing as how a rather constant complaint about the game is its difficulty.

Much as I'm sure most people wouldn't be able to win a Magic: The Gathering tournament.

Life goes on. Assuming too much?

Well, we've already established that you're someone who confuses your emotional needs with fact, while likewise being innumerate.

But thanks for the reminder.

It seems to me that one plays more like classic 'Contra', while the other plays like a Genesis action game that's trying to one-up Treasure.

It was an example of gameplay differences.

As far as being emotionally overwrought, don't project your own pathologies onto me:

Hm. Back to discussing your bathroom habits. Seems you equate them largely with self-worth.
    Thank you to whoever banned this guy lol

Banned by Administrators

Don't know, seems like he would have fit right in.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

He makes some good points though.

Where's the Reaganesque jingoism and xenophobia? This feels like a U.N. Hate Crimes commission by comparison.

The previous games were very American -- influenced by big action blockbusters and the hegemony they proudly advertised (or questioned, whatever) -- while 'Hard Corps' feels far more Japenese, more like 'Akira'+'Snatcher' (both 'Blade Runner' ripoffs, yes, but through a more Japanese filter or lense); dystopian chic with a more cartoony feel from the Manga side of the ledger.
    This is more subjective, but I prefer the tone of the previous games too.

Often, this creates the side-effect of a game that literally stops for minutes at a time from one screen to the next, whereas the 'Contra' games before have a more constant sense of advancement by way of action-heavy running. This is also, I think, why the game gets hammered so often for its difficulty. It wasn't built to be game only of reflexes, but instead of constant boss confrontations that require pattern recognition.
    The game is pretty static. Once you have the patterns down, most of the game becomes trivial. I've heard Contra III has more of a mix of RNG and static patterns and is better for it - not that I've played Contra III yet to confirm this but the good dudes over at Shmups forum think this so I'm inclined to believe them. And a couple of the bosses do spend a lot of time willy-waving which does kill the pace a bit.

As for Metal Slug, the only ones that can compete with the Gunstar, Contra HC and Alien Wars are 1 and X IMO. Metal Slug 3 can get stupid and the final stage is definitely dumb.

Out of Contra Hard Corps and Gunstar Heroes I might even prefer Gunstar just on account of it's more 'on the fly' reflex-based randomness. Now I need to get a Super Famicom going to see what the fuss is about
    Last edited by OverDrone; 10-16-2017 at 01:30 AM.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Gunstar is a bit better balanced with its weapons to me
    Once you get the laser + homming weapons the game gets way too easy: you just have to let the shoot button pressed and move around the screen avoiding shoots very one in a while, it gets dull very fast.
    I try to avoid this combo but sometimes it is too temmpting
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Once you get the laser + homming weapons the game gets way too easy: you just have to let the shoot button pressed and move around the screen avoiding shoots very one in a while, it gets dull very fast.
    I thought double green was even more OP than green-blue.

To me, Gunstar Heroes is the best of the bunch. And unlike many here, I like its art style.
    Hard Corps is better than Contra III and the japanese version of it, with life bar, is better than the american harder one.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    play expert. Homming laser is too weak to be of any use on expert.

Quote Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
    To me, Gunstar Heroes is the best of the bunch. And unlike many here, I like its art style.
    Hard Corps is better than Contra III and the japanese version of it, with life bar, is better than the american harder one.
    Ultimately, the best MD run & gun is Batman & Robin
    And I say that as a huge fan of both C:HC and GH
    Last edited by Ryoandr; 10-16-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Isolated Warrior Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Hard corps, and not the bitchmade jap version either! mmmmMericuhh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoandr View Post
    play expert. Homming laser is too weak to be of any use on expert.
    This.

And it constantly homes in on parts of bosses which don't take any damage.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Nameless One

Contra 3 is not a bad game, but the other two are more enjoyable IMHO...

In my opinion (as someone that is not so fond of shooters/run 'n guns) Gunstar Heroes transcends the genre, while the others don't.
    -Meu blog sobre Mega Drive/Genesis.
    - no youtube.

I think I like Contra 3 the best, even when it felt a bit short with only 4 side-scroller stages those are really good, and the overhead stages are fun to play solo. Hard Corps' is definitely solid with a lot of content but the level structures are a bit lacking for my tastes, a ton of bosses but the stages aren't as good as 3. Gunstar is probably my least favorite, bit too long for me, I don't really like the dice palace or the shmup level, not a fan of the weapons, not a fan of a life bar instead of 1 or 2 hits death, bosses are spongey with anything other than the boring homing+flame combo etc.
    Lately I've played Metal Slug X quite a bit and it's probably the run 'n gun I've enjoyed the most so far.

For me its impossible to choose whether Hard Corps or Gunstar is better. They are both masters at what they do. Gunstar is a bit easier to just pick up and enjoy but Hard Corps is so loaded full of characters and branching paths.

GH is a amazing game... cool weapon system, fun to play and amazing use of MD hardware
    but HC its more complete and a richer experience for me...
    Cool level design and bosses, alot of routes and stages following your choices on the story that's affects the ending and the playthrough
    the weapon system is not too innovating than GH but each char delivers a unique experience of gameplay with your own strategies in each boss
    and is not easy you see these qualitys in anothers games on that era and even today so my vote is HC

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Skullkid's Avatar

Hard Corps has the best 1 player experience, Gunstar has the best multiplayer experience.

Thread Information