Quantcast

Page 1 of 87 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Odyssey - Official Thread

Megadrive Star Odyssey - Official Thread

It seems like the canned US version of Blue Almanac, Star Odyssey, is the next Super Fighter Team game, L@@K:

Star Odyssey add
    Star Odyssey demonstration

The soundtrack seems decent and it's an interesting theme of the game, but daaaamn. Look at these random encounters (4:38 onward):

Last edited by Zebbe; 11-15-2010 at 05:06 PM.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Nameless One

great to know, kudos to Super Fighter Team
    Sega Genesis Collector in Mexico.

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar
    Last edited by retrospiel; 11-15-2010 at 05:19 PM.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

I notice the lack of logos and even brand names owned by Sega ("Gen" and "MD" instead of "Genesis" and "Mega Drive"). This wasn't the case with LoW and BP. Perhaps SFT had a call from Sega's lawyers... or perhaps they are just playing it more on the safe side nowadays. Or something else.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

There can be only one. WCPO Agent synbiosfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    The soundtrack seems decent and it's an interesting theme of the game, but daaaamn. Look at these random encounters (4:38 onward):
    I'm actually quite pleased to here you say that

Too many random encounters has effected my feelings about a few games.
    Diabetes sucks!

I am amazed not only to see a Japanese Mega Drive game localized but also to see it using the original cover artwork!

But yeah, no mention of "Mega Drive" or "Genesis". Maybe because it's only an ad to present at the show ? or maybe Hot-B / Starfish demanded it. Or it's like you said and they are just more careful now.
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

If this is for real, then I declare it to be awesome. I wanted that game back when it was bring advertised in Mega Play/EGM/whatever magazine it was, then it vanished. To finally get to play it, in English, would be great.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

I wonder if Superfighter's licensing of th game is the "thing that came up"".

I really hope they can fix the random encounter thing though,
    I just can't play games that consist of 95% grinding.

Gromble of pirates...? Outrunner Bramsworth's Avatar

So I'm assuming this is what happened to the game when drx had gotten that translation in his proto release a couple years back, but said he couldn't release it for reasons he didn't want to get into.
    I'm Pro A'can

Even though I'm not into RPGs, I do wonder whether Super Fighter Team will base the translation on the unreleased Blue Almanac version or do a different translation that is possibly more faithful than what could have been.

I'm not sure how involved they are with Hot-B/Starfish whether they would fix up the problems or something but to get permission from a Japanese company to translate an old game must be pretty big.

Looks sort of interesting. I'm only a little surprised though.

OT, but why hasn't SFT hasn't released Magic Bubble yet, as they've owned the rights for some time? Great game, I'm sure people would want it, and I wouldn't think there's too much they could do with it (it's all in English, several different types of game mode, etc). Just curious.

a.k.a. hombreimaginario Outrunner synapse's Avatar

Uh... I don't really like the look of this game... Both gameplay and graphics look quite dated. But anyway, is it really that interesting? I mean, an officially released game that gets translated and... that's pretty much it? Don't get me wrong, I'm always glad to see "new" MD releases but... isn't this the kind of thing that would (usually) get a free download as a rom patch?

Quote Originally Posted by synapse View Post
    I mean, an officially released game that gets translated and... that's pretty much it?
    Um, no:
    You can buy it and put it in your shelf along with the rest of your collection.
    And you can play it on real hardware without the need of a flash cart.
    And it might have some improvements that the average fan translation would not have had.
    And it comes with a manual.
    And you don't need to pay someone a lot of money for a repro with amateurish cover artwork and inkjet printed insert.
    And it might help to bring over more of the Japanese games that were left behind back in the Mega Drive's heyday.
    Last edited by retrospiel; 11-17-2010 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    Um, no:
    You can buy it and put it in your shelf along with the rest of your collection.
    And you can play it on real hardware without the need of a flash cart.
    And it might have some improvements that the average fan translation would not have had.
    And it comes with a manual.
    And you don't need to pay someone a lot of money for a repro with amateurish cover artwork and inkjet printed insert.
    And it might help to bring over more of the Japanese games that were left behind back in the Mega Drive's heyday.
    I Agree now If only I could give you more rep.

Thread Information