Quantcast

Page 123 of 151 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 2262

Thread: Official New Game Genie Code Thread

Changing characters is a great idea for a code (I didn't even know about Abu). I've spent a little time on it but no luck so far. If I come up with anything, I'll let you know.

You are correct, the "free movement" code is based on the map mode in the debug menu, and the "kill all enemies on screen" code is replicating the dark wonder lamps.

Thanks for testing the codes!

You're welcome Tony Thanks for looking into possibilities for an Abu code

GelmiR, I've started working on codes for Pirates of Dark Water and I have a question. How does the Gravity Potion work? I've selected it in the pause menu and gone back to the game and when I press C, he starts flashing and it seems like he's invincible, but I don't see anything related to gravity happening (like jumping higher or free movement). Is that how the Gravity Potion is supposed to work?
    Last edited by Tony H; 05-27-2019 at 04:20 PM.

If that's the one I think it is, you have to double-jump left or right to jump really far in that direction. It's pretty much the only potion I use in the game
    Edit: Just checked, it's the one.

Quote Originally Posted by GelmiR View Post
    If that's the one I think it is, you have to double-jump left or right to jump really far in that direction. It's pretty much the only potion I use in the game
    Edit: Just checked, it's the one.
    Ahhh, just tried the double jump and it works. Thanks for the help. Might be able to make a code or two with that info. :-)

Interesting note, it appears that the codes for both versions might be interchangeable. Haven't tested these new codes on both versions yet, but my older codes do work on both.

Pirates of Dark Water (Genesis) (May 1994) Game Genie

A5VT-AA8C
    Hit enemies from anywhere (in front of you). Has only been tested with the sword.

DJEA-AA7G
    Access level select (and character select). Just start the game like you normally would and you will be taken to the level/character select screen.

XEHA-BA98
    Start a new game with 99 of every item, the upgraded sword, and everything else in the pause/item menu. Code must be turned on when you start a new game.

AAFA-AA94
    Always get Niddler when you call him.

Looks like it's time to do some Pirates of Dark Water replaying These look very interesting, thanks!! I have to say I will be helping some friends move in the next couple of days, so I won't be around as much. But I will still be doing some testing tomorrow morning. Will let you know how they work out!

Did some quick testing and have seen some stuff that interesting to mention. But I want to do some more testing first. For now, some info/testing on this code:

AAFA-AA94

You made the code, so you probably know how it works :P But I like to figure it out, too. You seemingly start with zero items, but I think you actually have 100 Minga Melons? In any case, after calling Niddler once, you get 90 Minga Melons. It takes off 10 every time you call Niddler. I doubt anyone will call Niddler 10 times, but of course I did. It "resets" to the invisible 100 Minga Melons after having done so, though. So yeah this code works great
    One more thing on this code, when after having called Niddler and selecting the map screen the game showed that I was at the Janda Town level. Which is (I think) level 5? While I was actually in the 1st level. From the map screen, I could then choose one of the next levels. Will do some more testing, but right now it seemed that I could skip from level 1 to the levels that are available after level 5. Also saw some sprite/color issues with some enemies, but not sure yet which code causes this. Will do some more tomorrow

GelmiR, try adding this code to the other Niddler code (use both codes. I'm not at home right now so can't test, but this code might help.

AMDA-LA2E

Thanks! Added the code, here's my findings so far:

A5VT-AA8C
    Hit enemies from anywhere (in front of you). Has only been tested with the sword.
    Seems to work pretty good, but I want to do more testing (also on bosses) in the next couple of days.

DJEA-AA7G
    Access level select (and character select). Just start the game like you normally would and you will be taken to the level/character select screen.
    No issues, works great.

XEHA-BA98
    Start a new game with 99 of every item, the upgraded sword, and everything else in the pause/item menu. Code must be turned on when you start a new game.
    What I can tell so far, is that some of the potions have ?? instead of 99. Though they actually are 99, as they cound down to 98 after having used one. While the options/pause screen shows the player to have everything, this isn't actually the case. At least, not for the missing piece of Ren's half-sword. It's in the screen, but Ren's sword doesn't receive the power-up. It's supposed to give him a full sword (short cutscene should take place before obtaining it), making his attack stronger. If you are interested in seeing it, I think the password DSILLER starts off Ren with his full sword, and will show that small cutscene as well.
    Coins are not registered. Even though the player has 99 coins, I've seen characters respond me to saying that I have no money. Also while there is at least 1 boss that takes all your coins after beating him (in the Andorus level, fairly late in the game), the player will lose all keys and coins at the start of each new level. I think for the keys, that's just how the game is coded. But for coins it doesn't make sense.
    Still want to do more testing with this.

AAFA-AA94 + AMDA-LA2E
    Works, and calling Niddler and then going to the map screen doesn't make the player be in Janda Town. Can you believe I actually forgot that you were able to go back to the map screen after calling Niddler? At times after completing a level, you will be able to choose from 2 levels as your next one. After calling Niddler and going to the map screen, you can abort the level and pick the other one. Been ages since we used that, I'd forgotten Anyway, still works the same with the Minga Melons, not sure if that was intended - but it works!

I've had some sprite issues in Janda Town. But it only happens if I jump over Zoolie. He's a character you aren't supposed to skip anyway, you have to interact with him. But I always jump over him for fun. That's when some of the next enemies have sprite-color issues. Haven't figured out which codes do that. But again if that's the only time it happened (want to do full playthrough) it doesn't matter, as you're not supposed to skip him anyway.

Fun facts on this game; It's based on the cancelled cartoon of the same name. But unlike the SNES version (and the series), the Mega Drive / Genesis version actually has an ending. I don't know if the missing piece of Ren's sword was in the cartoon episodes (don't think so) or if it was ever planned to be in it

Been fun so far, thanks Tony!

Edit:
    I added a screenshot of the enemy that has his colors messed up. Zoolie is on the left, and it seems like the enemy on the right is using his color palette? I wouldn't bother looking into this, as I have no idea if it's even one of your new codes that does this. It may even be a code I already had, that I just never noticed. Will do more testing to find out. And again, if you play normally and talk to Zoolie, after which he disappears, the enemies will have their own color palettes anyway. At 2:45 in this video you can see the location of the screenshot:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezS1XxhQMp0
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GelmiR; 05-30-2019 at 03:28 AM.

Thank you so much for the awesome testing, GelmiR. Here is a code that I originally wasn't going to use, but it may be useful. It's the same as the "Start with 99 of everything" code, but with a value of 1 instead of 99. You can not use both codes at the same time since they both modify the same ROM address. There are only a few items added with this code, but I think it does the short cut scene for when you get the upgraded sword...

Pirates of Dark Water (Genesis) Game Genie

AEHA-BA98
    Start a new game with Vitality Enhancer, Stone Elixir, Vortex Magic, the upgraded sword, and a few other items. Code must be turned on when you start a new game.

EDIT: Just tested and it does the sword upgrade cut screen as soon as the game actually starts.
    Last edited by Tony H; 05-31-2019 at 12:18 AM.

You're very welcome I plan for this to be the last day I help move my friends - they're so inefficient, LOL.... So weekend starts this evening, and I'll do some more testing tomorrow thanks for the new code! As for the start with 99 code, I think it only displays having the sword and coins, but not actually having them? Could it be like Addams Family Values where you had one code to display the items, and needed more to actually use them?

More testing for Pirates of Dark Water:

A5VT-AA8C
    You need to face the direction the enemy is in. I've also seen it work when you double jump (somersault) at/towards them. This code is very useful against bosses.

XEHA-BA98
    This code is fun, but I wouldn't recommend it for a playthrough. If you get over 100 potions, it will "reset" to 10 potions. Coins are not recognized as being in the player's posession when needed, and both keys and coins will be missing from the player's inventory upon loading the next level.

AAFA-AA94 + AAFA-AA94
    Works perfectly, though I haven't been able to figure out what's going on with the "go to map screen" function. When I was able to choose from levels 2 and 3, it took me back to only being able to select the 1st level. But then, it's a useless feature anyway, which is probably why I wouldn't remember it. Levels 2 and 3 are Citadel and Port of Pandawa. If Citadel was too hard, you could call Niddler and pick Port of Pandawa instead. But I would never do that personally, as you'd still have to play Citadel anyway. So if you just stay away from the map screen, players can call Niddler at anyway and change the player character.

AEHA-BA98
    Start a new game with Vitality Enhancer, Stone Elixir, Vortex Magic, the upgraded sword, and a few other items. Code must be turned on when you start a new game.ou
    You also start with a couple of Treasures of Rule:
    - The one you get from Tork in Bobo Mountain (level 4)
    - The one you get from Mantus in Andorus (level 6 or 7, depending on player choice)
    - The one you get from Bloth on the Maelstrom (level 8)

As for the sword piece, it does show up in the pause menu and the cutscene does play, but the Ren character still has the half-sword. I played through the game and picked up the power-up (it's hidden in the Sunken Bridge level), and the sword would turn full - without showing the cut-scene again

I've seen the sprite color-palette issue on the same and on one other location. It only lasted a few seconds though. I'm afraid I haven't been able to figure out which code(s) cause this. But it's not a big deal, I think - nothing game-breaking.

This was fun, thanks again for the codes

Edit PS: I take it you had no luck with Aladdin for an Abu code?
    Last edited by GelmiR; 06-01-2019 at 05:54 AM.

GelmiR, I had several questions for you, but you answered all of them in your last post. Can not thank you enough for your notes! I'll make some code description changes and add them to the site. I think I'm going to leave out the AEHA-BA98 code (the one that shows the (false) sword upgrade cutscene). I'll add the "Start w/99 items" code, but will make some changes to the description. I'm also going to spend some time and see if I can figure out a better version of that code (no guarantees). I lucked out with the current "Start w/99 items" code because there was a single instruction that normally set all of the "item" quantities to zero. Changing the instruction to a different value lets you start with more, but obviously needs some work to get it to work correctly. I'm going to try a different approach next. The old code is used when the game is first loaded. I'm going to see if I can figure out a way to get it to work during game play. If it's possible, it will probably take more than one code, but will be worth it if it works correctly.

I spent some more time with the Abu code but failed. Not saying it isn't possible though.

You're welcome Tony I like doing it, and this is one of my favorite games. Good call, without the sword power-up, the AEHA-BA98 code doesn't really add anything. The start with 99 items is a keeper, as there is still fun to be had with it for testing. Cool, I look forward to whatever you come up with!

As for the Abu code, wether or not you succeed in getting that to work, thanks for looking into it

Thread Information