Quantcast

Page 141 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 2198

Thread: Official New Game Genie Code Thread

  1. #2101
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Virtua Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    311
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
    Virtua Hunter, after a fair amount of time on this, I think I finally got it figured out. As I mentioned before, I rarely work on music for the Genesis, so some of this info may not be 100% accurate.

    As far as I can tell, for stages 1 thru 10 (and the first part of those stages that have more than one song), the number of the song and the number of the stage share the same value, and if you change that number, it affects both the song and the stage. I made a code to use omake-1 music using a value of 26, and the music played fine, but the game was also trying to start on stage 26 and just showed a black screen. What this means is that there is no easy way to have the first part of each of those levels use different music. It is probably possible to change the order of the songs, or redirect pointers to get omake songs to play at the beginning of the songs, but would probably be even more time consuming, and a lot more codes, so it would be getting into a hack/patch type of thing. It's do-able, but just too time consuming for me.

    But all is not lost. I was able to make a code to get the second song for stage 1 (Strite) to play as omake-1 (which is what I think you wanted for that stage?). Let me know if it works. I also made some other music codes while I was figuring things out, and I'll post those, although not sure how useful they'll be. This game did not want to give up it's secrets without a fight. lol.

    Thunder Force IV (Japanese version) Genesis/MD Game Genie

    E3BA-NACR
    Stage 1 (Strite) plays Omake-1 for the second song.

    The rest of these codes are in raw format, but can easily be converted to Game Genie if needed. I'm too lazy to convert them. lol These are just kind of "test" codes I used to figure things out, so may or may not be useful...

    C43A:7026
    Opening screen (don't touch any buttons when game first starts) plays Omake-1 music.

    01050C:7028
    Course Select screen plays Omake-3 music.

    010932:7627
    starting out with Stage 4 (Daser) will play Omake-2 music, but screen will be black (game is trying to play stage 27).

    Impressive Tony, you already figured out how it works, nice!!
    The code E3BA-NACR works perfectly on real hardware.
    I was right about guessing Omake 1 could an alternative second song of the first stage, it's synched very well with the action and the lengh of that segment.

    I had to use this code too since the game freeze at boss (i think those are also your codes )

    AKTT-AA44
    AJSA-AA6Y


    I tried also other codes you provided and they works too
    I converted them in game genie codes if other are interested:

    Opening music
    E5CA-BA34

    Course select music
    FACT-DA2N

    Daser 4 omake music but black screen
    E6ET-DN3W


    So it's possible after all , but unfortunately it's more complex.
    I was also thinking that even if each level need 1 code, it could already hit the limit of game genie codes (minimum 13 codes, 10 for stages, one for the master code, two for the boss glitch), and since you said things aren't that linear, it could need even more codes.
    So it's doable but it probably need a real rom hack.

    But I don't want to give up do you think it would be possible for someone who barely know hex editing (lol) to find the correct value, redirect pointers etc. with a little guidance?

  2. #2102
    Master of Shinobi Tony H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,594
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    So it's possible after all , but unfortunately it's more complex.
    I was also thinking that even if each level need 1 code, it could already hit the limit of game genie codes (minimum 13 codes, 10 for stages, one for the master code, two for the boss glitch), and since you said things aren't that linear, it could need even more codes.
    So it's doable but it probably need a real rom hack.

    But I don't want to give up do you think it would be possible for someone who barely know hex editing (lol) to find the correct value, redirect pointers etc. with a little guidance?
    I forgot to mention that if the code I posted worked for stage 1, I can also make codes for the rest of the stages that use a second song. I will work on those soon.

    There is no real/official threshold for how many codes it would take to constitute a ROM hack, but in my opinion, if there are going to be more than 10 to 15 Game Genie codes, and it was something that you would want permanently in the game (like your music codes), then a patched ROM would be easier to use than entering all of those codes.

    As far as a little guidance for someone wanting to try to do the other single song levels themselves, that would only work if I spent a lot of time figuring all that stuff out. Things like text, graphics, etc can use what they call pointers to "point" the game to where those things are in the ROM, and I would assume that music works the same way, although I have never actually tried it. Many individual pointers can be changed to a different ROM address with a single Game Genie code, and the most codes it would take is 2 (for each address).

    As I mentioned, I'll work on the rest of those Game Genie codes for the other levels and post them soon. As for the rest of the levels that only use a single song, I may try and see if I can figure out a way to make codes for those as well while I'm still familiar with how things work. If I get it figured out, I might just make an ips patch for the ROM, as well as posting the individual codes. No promises on that, but if it looks like it won't be too time consuming, I might give it a go.

    One other side note... On those codes for changing the music in the opening section and course selection screens, you can easily modify those codes to get whatever music you want.

  3. #2103
    Wildside Expert
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    238
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
    Hi MegaDriver, I can probably come up with something, but I would need you to supply me with a save state of that part where you get to pick which power up. Kega Fusion or Gens save states will work.

    Edit: If there is some way to easily get to that power up screen (level select, passwords, etc), that will work also.
    Hello there!

    I see.

    I have played a bit and got past level 4, when one is presented with the upgrade screen for the first time.

    I have saved-state with kega and put in the attachment as zip.

    Let me know if it works for you and if this was of any help.

    first time upgrades choice.zip

  4. #2104
    Master of Shinobi Tony H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,594
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaDriver View Post
    Hello there!

    I see.

    I have played a bit and got past level 4, when one is presented with the upgrade screen for the first time.

    I have saved-state with kega and put in the attachment as zip.

    Let me know if it works for you and if this was of any help.

    first time upgrades choice.zip
    Yes, the save state worked for me. Thanks. Just want to make sure... you want the codes for "Turbo OutRun (Japan, Europe)"? EDIT: I don't know if there is a "US" version of the game.
    Last edited by Tony H; 07-17-2020 at 01:40 PM.

  5. #2105
    Master of Shinobi Tony H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,594
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Virtua Hunter, I've got another code to test. As I mentioned, I am not familiar with this game at all, and trying to figure out the different music during gameplay is difficult. I have no idea if the music is changing to a different song, or if it's the same song that is just changing tempo or transitioning to a different part. I don't know if this code is for the second song in stage 2, or if it's just a boss song, and the actual 2nd song is after it. The method they used to determine this song is completely different than the first code I posted for stage 1.

    Thunder Force IV

    E8ET-HA4L
    Changes the music for the second song in Ruin/Stage 2 (or the boss fight??) to Omake-2.
    Last edited by Tony H; 07-17-2020 at 01:44 PM.

  6. #2106
    Wildside Expert
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    238
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
    Yes, the save state worked for me. Thanks. Just want to make sure... you want the codes for "Turbo OutRun (Japan, Europe)"?
    Yes, that is correct.

    Edit: No, I think it was never released in the US.

  7. #2107
    Master of Shinobi Tony H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,594
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    MegaDriver, is there any way to tell if you have one of those upgrades once you start driving?

  8. #2108
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Virtua Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    311
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
    Virtua Hunter, I've got another code to test. As I mentioned, I am not familiar with this game at all, and trying to figure out the different music during gameplay is difficult. I have no idea if the music is changing to a different song, or if it's the same song that is just changing tempo or transitioning to a different part. I don't know if this code is for the second song in stage 2, or if it's just a boss song, and the actual 2nd song is after it. The method they used to determine this song is completely different than the first code I posted for stage 1.

    Thunder Force IV

    E8ET-HA4L
    Changes the music for the second song in Ruin/Stage 2 (or the boss fight??) to Omake-2.
    Thank you very much!
    I hope they didn't used different methods for each song though ^^

    I tested the new code, this time on an emulator.
    It works perfectly, the song Omake 2 play exactly as the second song of the Ruin/stage 2.

    I guess it can be confusing because this time for Ruin stage there's a mid-boss with the second stage music. After you beat the mid-boss, game returns to the first stage music

    so the music pattern for Ruin/stage 2 is:

    First song -> Second Song (mid-boss) ->First song again -> Boss song (for the real stage boss).

  9. #2109
    Master of Shinobi Tony H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,594
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Virtua Hunter, I think this is the rest of the codes that I will be able to do. I haven't tested these at all, so let me know if they work.

    Thunder Force IV

    FBST-NAAG
    Changes the music for the 2nd song in Air Raid (Stage 3) to Omake-3

    FFZT-NACR
    Changes the music for the 2nd song in Daser (Stage 4) to Omake-4

  10. #2110
    Wildside Expert
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    238
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
    MegaDriver, is there any way to tell if you have one of those upgrades once you start driving?

    I'm afraid the game "hud" shows no indication of which upgrades the player has chosen or when they are "on".

    I guess it's a matter of being able to tell the difference between the behaviour of the stock version of the car (at the beginning of the game) and when an upgrade is installed.

    I would say that the 'higrip tires' and the 'special turbo' are easy to spot because with the first one the car sticks better to the road and that is noticeable when the car makes the tight curves vs without, which makes the car go easily off-road and crash more often with side objects.

    With second one it is also noticeable that the turbo bar takes less time to "regenerate" (cool down) allowing the player to activate the turbo more times than when it had the stock turbo.


    The 'Hipower engine' seems to me that allows for better acceleration but I could never really tell, so that one is tricky.


    If you play the game a few times (start with very-easy difficulty) I'm sure you will notice at least those 2 differences I pointed out.

  11. #2111
    Master of Shinobi Tony H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,594
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    MegaDriver, your detailed explanation was perfect. After looking at the turbo cool down speed a few times, I could tell the difference between the two. I've got one code to test and should have the rest before too long, as well as some extra codes related to the upgrades (even faster turbo cool down, etc). This code seems to work fine and is exactly the same as if you selected the turbo upgrade. Let me know if it seems right to you.

    Turbo Outrun (Genesis/MD)

    REFT-A6TR
    Always have the turbo upgrade.
    Last edited by Tony H; 07-18-2020 at 11:04 PM.

  12. #2112
    Ruimtemuis ruimtemuis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Klaarstroom, South Africa
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Would it be possible to make a Game Genie code to restore the naked fairies in Stormlord? Apparently they are still in the ROM.

  13. #2113
    Wildside Expert
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    238
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
    MegaDriver, your detailed explanation was perfect. After looking at the turbo cool down speed a few times, I could tell the difference between the two. I've got one code to test and should have the rest before too long, as well as some extra codes related to the upgrades (even faster turbo cool down, etc). This code seems to work fine and is exactly the same as if you selected the turbo upgrade. Let me know if it seems right to you.

    Turbo Outrun (Genesis/MD)

    REFT-A6TR
    Always have the turbo upgrade.
    Yes, the code is working. And it's already a nice improvement.

    Tune the upgrades? That sounds interesting. It could be game-changer for Turbo Outrun!

  14. #2114
    Master of Shinobi Tony H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,594
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaDriver View Post
    Yes, the code is working. And it's already a nice improvement.

    Tune the upgrades? That sounds interesting. It could be game-changer for Turbo Outrun!
    Glad to hear that the code works.

    With these extra (tune-able) upgrade codes, I will include all the values so you can get an idea of what to expect, and maybe make suggestions as to which values might work best.

    Turbo Outrun (Genesis/MD)

    REFT-A6TR +
    BJFT-AAAW
    Always have the turbo upgrade, with even faster cool down.

    The game normally subtracts a value of 03 from the turbo heat to make it cool down. When you have the normal turbo upgrade, that value is increased to 05. With this code, I've set the value to 10. Let me know if you think this value is ok, or should I go higher or lower?

  15. #2115
    Master of Shinobi Tony H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,594
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruimtemuis View Post
    Would it be possible to make a Game Genie code to restore the naked fairies in Stormlord? Apparently they are still in the ROM.
    I will look into that when I'm done with the codes I'm working on. Where did you see that they were still in the ROM?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 32X: Yay or nay?
    By 16bitter in forum 32X Power!
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 04-11-2013, 02:27 AM
  2. Game Boy appreciation thread
    By Drixxel in forum Insert Coin
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 11:55 AM
  3. Game Genie Codes: Should we have them?
    By Melf in forum Contributor's Corner
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 05:15 PM
  4. Game Genie Problems
    By Chris Marsh in forum Tech Aid
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-20-2006, 11:12 PM
  5. how to make your own game genie codes
    By daminmancejin2 in forum Genesis Does!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 06:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •