Quantcast

Page 34 of 151 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast

Thread: Official New Game Genie Code Thread

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Rather than pile on edits I'm going to double post.
    (edit from previous post) I just glanced your first edit. Not a clue which version mine is, it just says Phantasy Star II.bin. So go for whichever (U) seems more common.

-- If you can make all party members available from the outset a rise of starting cash would be helpful, say 1,000 meseta.
    -- Moon Dew and Star Mist could be purchasable at certain places (the first city's fine) in order to save the player some hassle. I'm thinking 20k and 10k meseta.
    -- The Whip, which is in Zema, could have its attack value raised to 35. I believe it's 20 originally. This is a very marginal weapon.
    -- Perhaps make Shift castable on other characters or let Shir learn it.
    -- Enable Nei to wear all crowns, capes, and boots.

I checked the difference in the 2 versions. The ROM addresses stay the same, so any Game Genie codes I make should work on either version.

Also, is the random encounter/battle rate the same everywhere, or is it more frequent in caves? Also, if I made a "No random battles" code, would that cause problems in the game? (ie. are battles necessary?). I'm working on a "fewer" random battles code, but it will take longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
    I checked the difference in the 2 versions. The ROM addresses stay the same, so any Game Genie codes I make should work on either version.

Also, is the random encounter/battle rate the same everywhere, or is it more frequent in caves? Also, if I made a "No random battles" code, would that cause problems in the game? (ie. are battles necessary?). I'm working on a "fewer" random battles code, but it will take longer.
    That's a tough query as it's so much up to perception. I'd wager it is the same everywhere despite that certain places feel fuller with combat. Treat the encounter rate as the same everywhere.
    Yep, battles are necessary. I suppose the code could be turned off at certain places but that would entail a ton of grinding and backtracking in order to do so (the player would be way under leveled to just grind where he needed the levels). Unless of course you're supplying a large amount of super power codes too.

StarMist, Good news and bad news. The bad news is that I couldn't figure out a reliable way to always get the results I wanted from their random step/battle generator. Ugh. The good news is that I was able to insert some of my own programming to get the desired results. I've tested it 10 times, and it's worked perfectly every time. Yea.

What my custom programming does, is let you decide how many steps you want to take before an encounter. I was able to do it with 3 Game Genie codes.

What I need to know is how many steps would you like between encounters? I'm planning on doing maybe 3 or 4 different codes (ie. 10 steps, 20 steps, etc). What values would you like?

Here's a set of codes for 10 steps between encounters. Test it out and let me know if there's any problems. I've only tested it at the very beginning of the game, right outside of town, so don't know if it works in caves, etc.

I noticed the step count is sometimes 9, and sometimes 10, so I guess there's still a little randomness. :-)

Phantasy Star II

ATBA-AA4R
    Master code. Only necessary if you have a newer model Genesis.

FAMT-CAG6 +
    HTMT-DFR4 +
    E2MT-CN88
    Random battles happen every 10 steps.

EDIT: If you find someplace the code doesn't work, do me a favor and make a save state there.
    Last edited by Tony H; 12-24-2012 at 11:36 PM.

The Fire Dragon Pokemon JeffCharizardFlame's Avatar

I know there are game genie codes for Sonic the Hedgehog 3 that give Sonic a certain ability, for example Always able to use fireball dash, after double jumping. I was wondering if you could make a game genie code for when it's combined with S&K to give him the water shield's bubble bounce ability.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCharizardFlame View Post
    I know there are game genie codes for Sonic the Hedgehog 3 that give Sonic a certain ability, for example Always able to use fireball dash, after double jumping. I was wondering if you could make a game genie code for when it's combined with S&K to give him the water shield's bubble bounce ability.
    Jeff, I'm working on other codes right now, but when I'm done I'll take a look at it.

The Fire Dragon Pokemon JeffCharizardFlame's Avatar

alright, tyvm ^^

Phantasy Star II

E2MT-CA88
    No random battles.

FAMT-CAG6 +
    HTMT-DFR4 +
    E2MT-CN88
    Random battles happen every 10 steps (20 steps in dungeons and towers).

LAMT-CAG6 +
    HTMT-DFR4 +
    E2MT-CN88
    Random battles happen every 20 steps (40 steps in dungeons and towers).

SAMT-CAG6
    HTMT-DFR4 +
    E2MT-CN88
    Random battles happen every 30 steps (60 steps in dungeons and towers).

3AMT-CAG6
    HTMT-DFR4 +
    E2MT-CN88
    Random battles happen every 50 steps (100 steps in dungeons and towers).

REMT-C604
    More frequent random battles.

KEMT-C784
    very few random battles.

===============

P.S. Can someone tell me where the nearest dungeon or tower is from the very beginning of the game? How much time is involved in getting there?

EDIT: Code descriptions have been updated.
    Last edited by Tony H; 12-27-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony H
    P.S. Can someone tell me where the nearest dungeon or tower is from the very beginning of the game? How much time is involved in getting there?

Go to the northeast circle on the continent (ignore the circled marine area).
    Walking there takes very little actual time and you can first teleport to Arima (east town) if you've been there before; w/o encounters it should be 3 minutes or less. Under normal circumstances one would want to be up a few levels, say Rolf @ ~ 8 before heading into that dungeon (called Shure). The precise lv isn't important, equipment will make a larger difference.

Thanks for the map. The random battle codes above have been edited/updated.

Some observations on the codes thus far:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
    Phantasy Star II
    E2MT-CA88
    No random battles.
    This is redundant for players using the three part codes. Disabling the period variable (10/20/30/&c # of steps) from the three part code eliminates all encounters for me.
    Ie leave on only
    HTMT-DFR4 +
    E2MT-CN88
    to have zero encounters.
    FAMT-CAG6 +
    HTMT-DFR4 +
    E2MT-CN88
    Random battles happen every 10 steps (20 steps in dungeons and towers).
    10 steps is actually higher than the game normally provides as an avg so this makes for a good moderate grind code for working in new party members (for players who don't enjoy throwing lv 1 characters into the fire).

LAMT-CAG6 +
    HTMT-DFR4 +
    E2MT-CN88
    Random battles happen every 20 steps (40 steps in dungeons and towers).
    This is a nice period, it feels natural to the game whilst eliminating end-to-end encounters. For dungeons however it's too low for my taste.

SAMT-CAG6
    HTMT-DFR4 +
    E2MT-CN88
    Random battles happen every 30 steps (60 steps in dungeons and towers).
    30 is also a good period as it represents the luckier side of the game's natural encounter rate.

REMT-C604
    More frequent random battles.
    This works well.

KEMT-C784
    very few random battles.
    So does this.

*** Any chance of a code set that inverts the map-dungeon encounter rates? Ie twice as many encounters in dungeons as on the map. Or, that keeps them equal (20 steps each, etc).

StarMist, thanks for your input on the codes so far. As far as equal encounters in dungeons... I'm sure it can be done, but the files I used for encounters have been overwritten by newer code searches. When I'm done with all the codes, I'll try to remember to come back to that one.

Here are the newest codes. These can be easily modified to get any combination of 4 characters that you want (including with or without Rolf and Nei). I didn't include any codes without Rolf because I didn't know if it would cause any problems in the game later on.

EDIT: You can't add all these codes together to start with all 8 characters. I'm working on an "All 8 characters" code, but it's not cooperating. :-)

Phantasy Star II

AL2A-AAAR +
    AR2A-AAAT +
    AR1T-AAH4
    Start a new game with 2 extra characters (Rudo and Amy). NOTE: These codes
    have only been tested at the beginning of the game.

AW2A-AAAR +
    A02A-AAAT +
    AR1T-AAH4
    Start a new game with 2 extra characters (Hugh and Anna). NOTE: These codes

A42A-AAAR +
    A82A-AAAT +
    AR1T-AAH4
    Start a new game with 2 extra characters (Kain and Shir). NOTE: These codes
    Last edited by Tony H; 12-28-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Yeah if Rolf's somehow unavailable (??!!) the game should break; same for Nei. Story purposes. It might just coast along w/o noticing Rolf's absence, early on at least, since normally it's impossible not to have him in the group even if he's dead, but eventually he'll be needed. Nei will sooner.
    I also know for certain the game can be broken through abuse later on by circumventing the impossible with GG/PAR codes, but that's just stupid invulnerability stuff.

I hope all your efforts contribute something to future coding for other games rather than being isolated to this one.

EDIT -- Bad news I'm afraid: I'm getting a doppelganger Rolf on trying Hugh's code. Also I'm not seeing Shir. As I've only just tried Hugh's code and Shir's in conjunction w/ it I don't know whether this occurs for every character. This leads me to suspect Rolf can't be removed from the coding so if you're adding code to ensure he's in it's unnecessary.
    Problem #2 = These added characters don't appear on the roster in Rolf's home. To find this go into his home (the little dwelling he and Nei exit from once the prologue ends), negative the query "Shall we continue on our way without any changes?", then See Strength or change characters.

One way to search for the character release would be wherever events are indexed. Eg Rolf is released once the player has journeyed to Arima. Amy is released after the player has crossed the bridge or reached Oputa (I should remember which...); if you can't find any log for a bridge search for Teim + Darum. But searching Oputa would be more expedient.

Also I can confirm the early character code does not manipulate an already under way game.

Thanks.
    Last edited by StarMist; 12-28-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks for the info. I've already spent too much time on the extra character codes, so I think for now at least, I'm not going to dig any deeper into those codes.

I do have more new codes though. You requested a code to let Rolf start with Moon Dew. I've come up with what I think is a better code... The ability to buy Moon Dew in the Item Shop in Paseo. This has two benifits: 1) You don't need to start a new game to get Moon Dew. 2) You can get Moon Dew anytime you want during the game.

C2MA-C8AW +
    ACEA-ELEN
    Can buy Moon Dew in the item shop in Paseo (costs $12000). By modifying the
    first code (C2MA-C8AW), you can get any item you want.

AA1A-CAGW
    Moon Dew is free.

=============

This code can be modified to get any item you want. Are there any other items that I should make codes for?

Great work.

More items? Star Mist (it's an item; I'm perfectly aware nobody wants to spend money on me) could be up for sale. 6k would be good; I feel it's half Moon Dew's value would be right.
    -- In terms of disposable items PSII's pretty bare. Although it's highly redundant to all the encounter rate codes you've made you could drop Hidapipe's price to 100m and have it for sale in Paseo (it might be there, I never use it, but I don't think so). Its price of 280m makes it undesirable for early use.
    -- For gear if you wanted to make the Color Scarf and Wind Scarf available for purchase @ 15k that would probably do; they're unique items found in dungeons but not overpowering like some of the later stuff. Anything beyond them would just be you looking up values or eqp charts and deciding to throw something powerful into an early part of the game.

Thread Information