Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Swamp Thing Prototype dump released!

Quote Originally Posted by PHANTOM2040 View Post
    I turned into the flying thing and still get forced to go down into the hole.
    If any of the debris hit's you from above while you're in the pit it will knock you down a bit. You have to do your best to steer clear of that junk in hopes of getting to the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMark0673 View Post
    Yeah, I just took the raw file that the retrode pulled up and hosted it. I don't even know if I could dump the chips individually as the case is epoxied shut so I don't have access to the pcb

Disappointed? You have to remember, most unreleased games were unreleased for a reason...
    This one was not unreleased because of the game itself, but because of NuVision Entertainment's closure. Bean Ball Benny, another unreleased Mega Drive/Genesis game by NuVision, suffered the same fate because of this.

Thanks for the release. If you please, try to do an appropiate ROM dump so the game can be preserved more accurately, and in .bin format if possible.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Nameless One

Yeah, I just took the raw file that the retrode pulled up and hosted it. I don't even know if I could dump the chips individually as the case is epoxied shut so I don't have access to the pcb

Disappointed? You have to remember, most unreleased games were unreleased for a reason...

Any pull it apart and find anything that can't been seen through standard game play?
    Dont let the ignorant comments bring you down.

We appreciate any and ALL releases of un dumped games!!

Thanks again man
    Sega Genesis Collector in Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    This one was not unreleased because of the game itself, but because of NuVision Entertainment's closure. Bean Ball Benny, another unreleased Mega Drive/Genesis game by NuVision, suffered the same fate because of this.
    Although possible, that wouldn't explain how Bimini Run made it out the door (developed at roughly the same time). If you've seen video of Bean Ball Benny, it was very far from finished and quite possibly canned for being a poor early tester as well. Nuvision definitely closed due to lack of funds, but whether it happened while these were in production or that shelving these put them out is up for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    Thanks for the release. If you please, try to do an appropiate ROM dump so the game can be preserved more accurately, and in .bin format if possible.
    The game is in the purest form I'm able to do without butchering the cart, so you'll have to deal with the format. I can't dump the EPROMs individually (actually, I don't even know if they're socketed) as the case has been epoxied shut. I know it's an over dump, but really, is that a big deal? It's preserved and released for free, you can't really have too many qualms about it. I don't really know why a binary would be a more accurate file type either...

Anyway, there will be more ROM dumps in the future, so if you guys aren't digging this one I'm sure you'll like something else we have. Matt and I have (what I believe is) the 2nd largest NES proto collection around, and plenty of other Genny stuff too, so stay tuned for more releases!

Bimini Run was released in fall 1990. These two unreleased games, on the other hand, were oriented for release circa 1991, so it makes sense the games couldn't even be finished (Swamp Thing isn't a complete game either) because the company was already going out of the water.

I appreciate the release, don't worry. I just said it would be better to have the ROM as accurate in size and format as possible. If you are not able to appropriately dump the ROM without having to butcher the cartridge, then it's ok.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

If its an overdump.. could that mean there's the remains of another game in that data?
    wouldn't be the first time unknown stuff was found like that.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Another run-of-the-mill Genesis proto doesn't really interest me that much. Now if Mark and Beagle could pull an unreleased 32X proto out of that hat, Segaage would more than deserve it's place in the Sega community.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Another run-of-the-mill Genesis proto doesn't really interest me that much. Now if Mark and Beagle could pull an unreleased 32X proto out of that hat, Segaage would more than deserve it's place in the Sega community.
    Ha! What, like that turd Virtual Hamster??? Come on now . The graphics, controls, and music are garbage on ST for sure, but the concept for game play could have been pretty cool had they polished up the game a little with further development.

Never dabbled in the 32X stuff myself, but we've got a few more Genesis titles we'll be releasing over time, some cool proto box art, unreleased games, and works in progress. Stay tuned, if you're into pre-release Sega stuff you're bound to like something we release.

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

Still waiting on a Sonic 1 prototype.

Ha! What, like that turd Virtual Hamster??? Come on now . The graphics, controls, and music are garbage on ST for sure, but the concept for game play could have been pretty cool had they polished up the game a little with further development.

Never dabbled in the 32X stuff myself, but we've got a few more Genesis titles we'll be releasing over time, some cool proto box art, unreleased games, and works in progress. Stay tuned, if you're into pre-release Sega stuff you're bound to like something we release.
    LMAO! At least X-Men was somewhat decent on the 32X.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    LMAO! At least X-Men was somewhat decent on the 32X.
    Absolutely man! No idea why that one didn't go through to completion, but from the ROM floating around that one certainly had some potential.

Wildside Expert

The game is in the purest form I'm able to do without butchering the cart, so you'll have to deal with the format. I can't dump the EPROMs individually (actually, I don't even know if they're socketed) as the case has been epoxied shut. I know it's an over dump, but really, is that a big deal? It's preserved and released for free, you can't really have too many qualms about it. I don't really know why a binary would be a more accurate file type either...
    you don't need to butcher the cart at all. You could just look at the number of EPROMs and their size if they are labelled or pin counts, to determine the exact ROM size but otherwise, simply by looking at the 4MB memory area dump, you can easily see that ROM header is being mirrored every 512K.

I am always very grateful for new dumps because without generous people like you, those games, even if they are shitty, would have been lost forever but I think that for the sake of accurate preservation, and contrary to what has been done in the early days of emulation scene, dumps should be verified before released.

Thanks for sharing! I hear so many stories about people getting protos and just sitting on them so they can be elite or whatever. It's cool that someone's actually making an effort to get them out there.
    I know it's an over dump, but really, is that a big deal? It's preserved and released for free, you can't really have too many qualms about it. I don't really know why a binary would be a more accurate file type either...
    I demand that you give me rare and unique things for free, in exactly the way I want it. The law of the internet requires it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eke-Eke View Post
    you don't need to butcher the cart at all. You could just look at the number of EPROMs and their size if they are labelled or pin counts, to determine the exact ROM size but otherwise, simply by looking at the 4MB memory area dump, you can easily see that ROM header is being mirrored every 512K.
    No, dude, epoxy. The case is glued shut. He doesn't want to break the case open. Chances are, with such an early game, the rom is practically hooked straight up to the cart port anyway. It wouldn't need bank switching or anything. Who cares if he dumps straight off the chips or off the edge connector? If it repeats every 512K, then truncate it at 512K if it makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eke-Eke View Post
    The cart is literally epoxied shut. If there were an easy way to get to the EPROMs we would have dumped them individually by now. As much as we love seeing the data out there, we're collectors too. No sense in smashing up a one of a kind prototype when there's a decent dump already out there.

I'm excited for more releases regardless the system (other than like the Odyssey-hate that thing). Plus I can't imagine there are many unreleased 32X prototypes out there, which are also nearly complete, and good.

Thread Information