Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis/Mega Drive Import Compatibility List

Death Adder's minion Sega Gremlin's Avatar

Default Genesis/Mega Drive Import Compatibility List

Has there been any kind of definitive list compiled which details which Japanese Mega Drive games will run on a (stock, unmodified) North American Genesis unit? In other words, a list which breaks down which titles lack a region lock versus which ones have one.

I've searched around a bit, but I haven't seen exactly what I'm looking for. Perhaps someone here can point me in the right direction.

So nobody knows anything? No one has compliled an overall compatibility list for quick reference?

Alright, let's try this instead...

How about specific titles, like some of the more common imports? Will the EU versions of games like Twin Hawk & Turbo Out Run run on a North American Genny without a region mod? (I know the JP versions of those titles work fine, as do both EU & JP versions of Super Fantasy Zone.)

How about Snake, Rattle & Roll?

I'm planning to add a Japanese/English region switch to one of my consoles regardless, but I'm wondering if I should install a 50/60 hz switch as well. I'd rather not bother if it's not going to be needed or used. (I'll just stick with the Japanese versions as far as the imports go.)

Any input is appreciated.

I don't think there is a difinitive list, most people are just aware of popular titles with a region lock like alien soldier. any jap game will run with a game genie, just put in codes if they're region locked. most games from the later years of the genesis's lifetime have a region lock, but other than that most do not. modding your genesis isn't really necessary for playing japanese games unless you really hate putting in codes. I can't speak for pal games, as I know little about them

I'm pretty sure it's basically anything before the Red Candy Stripe was put into effect on the box art. So games released before 1993/1994, around there.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Sega Gremlin View Post
    I'm planning to add a Japanese/English region switch to one of my consoles regardless, but I'm wondering if I should install a 50/60 hz switch as well.....
    check out Devil N's single switch mod...no need for two switches

works a treat!

search on the forums or check his signature

It's called a Mega Drive Master of Shinobi Devil N's Avatar

Posting here for easy access to my signature.

Thanks for the plug, by the way.

Wildside Expert

So nobody knows anything? No one has compliled an overall compatibility list for quick reference?
    A French website (available in English) has started doing it for you. The listing is not complete, but you already have the information for several dozens of games:

http://www.guardiana.net/MDG-Database/Protected-Games/
    Shinobi - the name means stealth.

Turbo OutRun and Twin Hawk EU versions will work since they are the same as their Japanese counterparts. I don't know why you want to play the former though...

A rule of thumb is that any games made before and in most cases in 1992 doesn't have the region lock (except Thunder Force IV, Xenon 2: Megablast, the US version of World of Illusion and a strange version of Super Monaco GP). Then after that point, it really depends on the game and publisher, also in a weird case you get a game that works on Japanese and European Mega Drive systems but not on American Genesis consoles (like Art of Fighting [Japanese], Alien Soldier [Japanese], Dynamite Headdy [Japanese], Streets of Rage 2, Light Crusader, Lord Monarch, Monster World IV, Bare Knuckle 3, Wimbledon [Japanese], Super Shinobi 2 [Japanese] and Tant-R). Most EA games don't have the region lock but all of them can be found in America anyway. So I decided to do this list that might be handy, it's not complete but it will do:

Japanese games/versions after 1992 that will work on an American Genesis (no Game Genie needed but you might have to cut your system or have a cartridge convertor):
    Aladdin [not region locked unlike US/Euro versions]
    Ball Jacks
    Boogie Woogie Bowling (Japanese version of Championship Bowling)
    Crayon Shin-chan
    Dragon Ball Z
    Dyna Brothers 2
    Gouketsuji Ichizoku (Power Instinct)
    Langrisser II
    Madou Monogatari 1
    Maten no Soumetsu
    Mazin Saga [not region locked unlike US/Euro versions but text is in Japanese]
    OutRun 2019 [not region locked unlike US/Euro versions]
    The Ooze [region locked to Europe]
    Panorama Cotton
    Pepenga Pengo
    Puyo Puyo Tsu
    Rockman: Mega World (note: some versions are region locked, others aren't, hard to tell without testing cartridge)
    Slap Fight MD
    Snow Bros.
    Time Dominator 1st (Japanese version of Socket)
    Top Pro Golf 2
    Ultraman
    Yu Yu Hakusho: Gaiden

European games after 1992 that will work on an American Genesis (no Game Genie needed):
    Addams Family Values
    Ball Jacks
    Bloodshot/Battle Frenzy [region locked to Japan]
    Brian Lara Cricket
    Brian Lara Cricket 96
    Cannon Fodder
    Classic Collection
    Daffy Duck in Hollywood
    Dino Dini's Soccer
    Disney Collection
    EA Double Header
    F-15 Strike Eagle II [not region locked unlike US version]
    F1 - World Championship Edition
    Flashback [US version is region locked]
    Gunship
    Hurricanes
    International Rugby
    International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
    Man Overboard
    Marko's Magic Football [US version is region locked]
    Mega Games compliations
    Mega-Lo-Mania [one version isn't region locked apparently]
    Micro Machines 2 (possibly the only Codemasters game with a Sega logo when run on US/Japanese machines)
    Micro Machines 96/Miltary (apparently it should work but there are reports saying that it doesn't)
    Misadventures of Flink
    Mr Nutz
    Pete Sampras Tennis [untested]
    Pete Sampras Tennis 96 [untested]
    Power Drive
    Premier Manager [region locked to Japan only]
    Psycho Pinball [untested]
    Second Samurai
    Snake Rattle 'n' Roll
    Sonic Compilation (note: some copies are region locked, others aren't, hard to tell without testing)
    Street Racer
    Yogi Bear: Cartoon Capers

Also Sonic & Knuckles is a region free cart and the Australian cricket game Shane Warne Cricket is suppose to be compatible. Oddly the European version of Spot Goes to Hollywood doesn't work on a Japanese Mega Drive due to being region locked to run in the USA and Europe, same thing for X-Perts.

Quote Originally Posted by snotmaw View Post
    any jap game will run with a game genie, just put in codes if they're region locked.....modding your genesis isn't really necessary for playing japanese games unless you really hate putting in codes.
    Well obviously I can use a Game Genie, but that's just it, I don't want to have to put in codes. In fact, I plan to use my Genesis 3 so I have a plug and play for imports - no Game Genie and no modification of the cartridge port necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's basically anything before the Red Candy Stripe was put into effect on the box art. So games released before 1993/1994, around there.
    That's often what people say, but I'm looking for a more exact answer than that because there are many exceptions to this rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista_Ed View Post
    check out Devil N's single switch mod...no need for two switches
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil N View Post
    Posting here for easy access to my signature.
    I will definitely check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman View Post
    A French website (available in English) has started doing it for you. The listing is not complete, but you already have the information for several dozens of games:

It's unfortunate that list is so incomplete, but that is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the link.

Seems we were posting at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Furnessly View Post
    Turbo OutRun and Twin Hawk EU versions will work since they are the same as their Japanese counterparts. I don't know why you want to play the former though...
    Ha ha. It was somewhat of a rhetorical question.

So I decided to do this list that might be handy, it's not complete but it will do:
    Yes, that certainly will do. Thanks a lot.

These Jap games I have do not require a region switch:

Ball Jacks
    Bonanza Bros
    Undead Line
    Dangerous Seed
    Magical Hat no Buttobi Turbo! Daibouken
    Michael Jacksons Moonwalker
    Panorama Cotton
    Puyo Puyo Tsuu
    Super Fantasy Zone

The Howling Wind Force Wildside Expert Kaze Okami's Avatar

The PAL version of Fatal Fury 2 has no region lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Sega Gremlin View Post
    Has there been any kind of definitive list compiled which details which Japanese Mega Drive games will run on a (stock, unmodified) North American Genesis unit? In other words, a list which breaks down which titles lack a region lock versus which ones have one.

I've searched around a bit, but I haven't seen exactly what I'm looking for. Perhaps someone here can point me in the right direction.

It's actually really easy to figure this out on your own. Download the Fusion emulator. Go to file, choose U.S. as the country and turn off Auto Detect country. Now the emulator will not play region locked games and you can test any game you want this way. Not many games are region locked. Most good ones that are available thru reproductions. Some Japanese games that are region locked:

Mega Man: Wily Wars
    Bare Knuckle 2 & 3
    Pulseman
    Alien Soldier
    Yuu Yuu Hakusho(although the Brazil version is not)
    Golden Axe 3
    Sailor Moon
    Aah! Harimanada

European Games:

Worms
    Second Samurai
    Global Gladiators(actually a good thing)

Quote Originally Posted by PHANTOM2040 View Post
    It's actually really easy to figure this out on your own. Download the Fusion emulator. Go to file, choose U.S. as the country and turn off Auto Detect country. Now the emulator will not play region locked games and you can test any game you want this way.
    Yes I can do that, but it's much easier to come on here and ask for input since there's likely several people here who already have extensive knowledge of this kind of thing.

Furnessly pretty much answered my question above, but thank you for the suggestion. I don't do much with emulation these days, but I will keep that in mind in the future if I have a question about a specific title.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barman View Post

I like the idea of this list, but I find its format confusing, since it doesn't specify which games are locked out against which regions, and some games will work in multiple regions but not in all. Look at Soleil, for example, which I know is locked out in NTSC regions. Or is the whole thing meant to be Euro-centric?

Also, the HTML takes a long time to load, and the region icons are small and don't have any alt text to confirm what they mean...complain, complain, complain. Les mouches ont besoin de Preparation H, maintenant.

Myself, I just use the Game Genie Region Bypass Guide. So far it's been quite reliable in singling out the games with lockout.

Thread Information