Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altered Beast Genesis Non-TMSS?

Default Altered Beast Genesis Non-TMSS?

I found a Genesis CIB box at a game store. Just wondering if its correct Genesis for the box would it be a launch system NON-TMSS?
    My Setup

no substitute for REAL hardware

hmm....yeah, i have a megadrive with altered beast pack in....it was the launch system and without TMSS...

To my knowledge, TMSS did not start until Sonic was a pack-in. Can anyone confirm this?

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    To my knowledge, TMSS did not start until Sonic was a pack-in. Can anyone confirm this?
    You're partially right. I have one of the first Sonic Pack-In systems that came with a Non-TMSS HDG Model. These systems also had the Styrofoam packing. Also had a picture of the HDG Model on the box.

The later Sonic Pack-Ins were the TMSS Models. They had the basic, and somewhat cheap, plastic packing. On the front of this box, the picture of the Genesis lacks the HDG Text.

I've seen Genesises with the HD logo that have TMSS.

True, but mine didn't. Although it's been rare that I have personally seen an HDG Genesis with TMSS. I also got my Genesis brand new in 1991. So that is what Sega put in the box.

But through most of what I have seen, most of the Sonic 1 HDG Models didn't have TMSS. The later Pack-Ins that didn't sport the HDG text did. I guess this is when Sega was phasing out the Non-TMSS models(Even with some of the HDG Models having TMSS).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    I've seen Genesises with the HD logo that have TMSS.
    I can confirm this. Both of My model 1 Genny's have the HDG logo and the serial port on the back, but still have TMSS.
    Open WIIIIIIIIIIIDE For chunky!

The VA6 model 1 will tend to have the HD logo, EXT port, and TMSS. (I don't think any VA5s are TMSS) VA6s seem to come in almost every combination of HD logo, EXT port (or rather hole for EXT port as I think most/all actually have the connector), but all have TMSS.
    There's also the VA6.8 which removed the EXT port internally and used a red plastic trim piece like the VA7 around the LED rather than paint. (it also uses somewhat less power than earlier revisions due to more integration and a CMOS I/O chip -I think the CPU also tends to be CMOS, and that's especially notable with the very power efficient Hitachi HD68HC000 CMOS CPUs)
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

^^ and there you have it, ladies and genetlemen....

But yeah, all altered beast sets would be non-TMSS... TMSS didn't start until after Sonic as pack in, maybe not until 1992, not sure though. (it went through 5 major revisions in the US before TMSS was added, VA0 was Japan only, and VA1 was only very early on in the US I think, but VA2, VA3, VA4, VA5, VA6, VA6.8, and VA7 should all be fairly common -I found 2 VA3s, a VA5/6, and a VA6.8 locally in the last year)
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

(Stole these pics...LOL)

This is EXACTLY the Genesis that I got. HDG+Non-TMSS.

Also on the back of the box is NO Mega CD ad as it was called before release in the US. I've seen boxes like this with the Sega/Mega CD ad on the back and HDG Model. HDG+TMSS packaging perhaps???

TMSS Sonic 1 Packaging

I guess right before Sega changed the packaging, they released a batch of TMSS HDG's. Because, as I said, most of my friends that got the Sonic 1 HDG Model was Non-TMSS.
    Last edited by Cornholio857; 12-13-2010 at 10:01 PM.

POWER...UP!

Nice pictures! I got the Sonic pack[in console with the non-HD logo/TmSS for Christmas of 1992. I'd learn later it was VA6

This is a pic of the back of a TMSS Sonic 1 Model. I have seen this exact Sega/Mega CD ad on the back of boxes that had a HDG Model pictured on the front. As I said, HDG+TMSS Model Packaging????

Nameless One

I can also confirm what Cornholio857 is saying. My Genesis is a non-TMSS unit that came with the complete Sonic 1. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what happened to the box (Probably in storage somewhere). BUT, I do remember it came in a styrofoam package just as you've posted Cornholio857. Definitely was not the plastic insert one.

~FlaH

Thread Information