Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Altered Beast Genesis Non-TMSS?

Eww. This is the first time I've seen the plastic packing used internally with the system. I'm so used to the awesome styrofoam.

Death Adder's minion Sega Gremlin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kool kitty89 View Post
    But yeah, all altered beast sets would be non-TMSS... TMSS didn't start until after Sonic as pack in, maybe not until 1992, not sure though. (it went through 5 major revisions in the US before TMSS was added, VA0 was Japan only, and VA1 was only very early on in the US I think, but VA2, VA3, VA4, VA5, VA6, VA6.8, and VA7 should all be fairly common -I found 2 VA3s, a VA5/6, and a VA6.8 locally in the last year)
    It's crazy how many motherboard variations there were.

Did you ever read the through the original case files for Sega v. Accolade? The funny thing is that in those legal documents, the newly introduced Genesis with the TMSS (presumably VA5?) is referred to as the "Genesis III".

I♥Mikuru Asahina Outrunner Tasuke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    To my knowledge, TMSS did not start until Sonic was a pack-in. Can anyone confirm this?

yep.

my Genny is a 1989 U.S. first edition, ALTERED BEAST as pack-in,
    and zero regional lockout. save, of course, for having to slightly alter
    the shape of the slot to get JPN carts to clear the cart doors...
    ♥Mikuru Asahina♥

Death Adder's minion Sega Gremlin's Avatar

By the way, according to the documents I mentioned above, the TMSS-upgraded Genesis units were introduced in September 1991:

Accolade learned of the impending release of the Genesis III in the United States in January, 1991, when the Genesis III was displayed at a consumer electronics show. When a demonstration at the consumer electronics show revealed that Accolade's "Ishido" game cartridges would not operate on the Genesis III, Accolade returned to the drawing board. During the reverse engineering process, Accolade engineers had discovered a small segment of code--the TMSS initialization code--that was included in the "power-up" sequence of every Sega game, but that had no identifiable function. The games would operate on the original Genesis console even if the code segment was removed. Mike Lorenzen, the Accolade engineer with primary responsibility for reverse engineering the interface procedures for the Genesis console, sent a memo regarding the code segment to Alan Miller, his supervisor and the current president of Accolade, in which he noted that "it is possible that some future Sega peripheral device might require it for proper initialization."

In the second round of reverse engineering, Accolade engineers focused on the code segment identified by Lorenzen. After further study, Accolade added the code to its development manual in the form of a standard header file to be used in all games. The file contains approximately twenty to twenty-five bytes of data. Each of Accolade's games contains a total of 500,000 to 1,500,000 bytes. According to Accolade employees, the header file is the only portion of Sega's code that Accolade copied into its own game programs.

In 1991, Accolade released five more games for use with the Genesis III, "Star Control", "Hardball!", "Onslaught", "Turrican", and "Mike Ditka Power Football." With the exception of "Mike Ditka Power Football", all of those games, like "Ishido", had originally been developed and marketed for use with other hardware systems. All contained the standard header file that included the TMSS initialization code. According to Accolade, it did not learn until after the Genesis III was released on the market in September, 1991, that in addition to enabling its software to operate on the Genesis III, the header file caused the display of the Sega Message. All of the games except "Onslaught" operate on the Genesis III console; apparently, the programmer who translated "Onslaught" for use with the Genesis system did not place the TMSS initialization code at the correct location in the program.

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

^ +1

Regarding the aforementioned TMSS and non-TMSS Sonic 1 bundle boxes (say that three times fast), perhaps another indicator of when they were dropped are the Sega Genesis logo up front (the initial Sonic 1 bundles appeared to have the circa 1990-1991 Genesis logo, the later the 1992-1993 Genesis logo) and the lineup of games featured in the back (the early bundles advertised 1989-Fall 1991 games, the later late 1991-1992 games).

Thread Information