Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tempted to Sell the Sega CD

Outrunner

Default Tempted to Sell the Sega CD

Convince me I'm making a bad decision. The reasons are plain: the good games are just a couple of JRPGs, which I don't really have time to play right now anyway, and even if I did, they're very, very pricey; Sonic CD was always mediocre to me; the shooters are't the greatest, and I can get Lord of Thunder for my Turbo Duo; the rest are slightly superior ports, but I'm OK with Sega Genesis versions of Ecco the Dolphin, Earthworm Jim, Eternal Champions, and even Road Rash.

What are some of the more compelling reasons to keep this? I considered the fact that I can get the Shining Gaiden games on a disc, but again, expensive and a JRPG I just don't have a lot of time for. I did play the hell out of Tomcat Alley back in the day, so I would miss that.

Beat Em Ups Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

From my perspective and some one who could care less about JRPG's

Batman Returns- The driving levels are so impressive and fun to play, just a little to difficult. Also the music is incredible

Dungeon Explorer- This game intrigues me. I haven't played enough of it yet but it has a lot of potential to be a game I love. Pretty much gauntlet with better graphics and a CD soundtrack. My one complaint right off the bat is the voices suck! Also it was made for multiplayer and my GF won't step up to the plate and play it with me… bitch

Ecco The Dolphin CD- Like Eternal Champions I thought the Genesis music had good compositions but mediocre quality. The CD music is breathtaking and worth the upgrade alone. Add the more manageable difficulty with checkpoints and additional levels nice upgrade over the Genesis. Tides of time the Genesis music is so damn good I don't need the CD upgrade.

Eternal Champions CD- I think the Genesis version is solid also but the CD versions is a huge improvement. Way better music, the compositions weren't bad in the Genesis version but the quality was crap. New moves, additional characters, and stages. Additionally the combat feels tighter and the 1P difficulty is more forgiving and adds continues. Maybe my favorite 16-bit fighter and I never gave Eternal Champions a chance as a kid because I thought the box art was lame.

Final Fight CD- My favorite version of the game. Once I got used to the CD soundtrack the arcade version grates my ears. The 4 enemy limit makes it more manageable and less of a quarter muncher compared to the arcade. My only minor complaint is the color palette is a tad washed out.

Flink- The improved soundtrack is enough to warrant the upgrade. Also I don't think the Mega Drive versions runs correctly in NTSC. Overall incredible looking game just hasn't been quite as fun as I had hoped.

Popful Mail- I love the graphics, gameplay and soundtrack. Now I just need a little patience to play through the sucker.

Snatcher- I am playing through this right now. By definition this kind of game is not my cup of tea but Snatcher has been fun so far and extremely impressive. I can't imagine how groundbreaking this game would have been for people who played it when it was released. It still holds up. The graphics are great, voice acting exceptional and the story keeps me wanting to advance. I just don't know if I would re-play this kind of game. Only time will tell.

Sonic CD- My 4th favorite Sonic game after the Genesis trilogy. It's grown on me and I like how it has so much to offer in terms of variety. The Jap CD soundtrack is top notch. I love the bonus stages they are fun and manage to show off the technology as well. My only complaint is the level design lacks the flow the Genesis versions had. Still a great game my analogy when pitted vs. the original Sonic trilogy would be a boxing match that went 12 rounds and CD lost a close fight but a unanimous decision non the less.

Terminator CD- I love action games and this is one of my favorites. Incredible soundtrack, nice graphics, good gameplay and pacing. The difficulty isn't very high so you should be able to beat the game without much effort. Still a game I would re-play because it is so much fun. The FMV is absolutely atrocious.

The Shooters- (Soulstar, Robo Aleste, Android Assault, Lords of Thunder, Silpheed, Keio)
    I don't own a Turbo CD and I think Lords of Thunder is really impressive. Robo Aleste I enjoy more then Musha. The others are all worth a play I don't think they are stellar though.

Other then that there are probably a few more games I play over the Genesis version but not much else.
    Women Asian Please
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

Nameless One

I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I love Rise of the Dragon and Monkey Island is a good game too. Final Fight was already mentioned but that's one of my favorites too.

Some other games I enjoyed were Mad Dog McCree (yes I know it sucks), FIFA, nhl 94, road rash, and wed rage in the cage. But as was mentioned, most of those you can get on the genesis.

Hero of Algol

Which Sega CD model is yours, o.pwuaioc?

Outrunner

Model 2. It's not up for sale yet. I don't really want to keep it, but it's just collecting dust, and has been for a while. The 32X might suffer the same fate, too.

Both systems are easily emulated. I myself have some SEGA CD game discs that I play on a softmodded XBOX via emulation, works fine.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I think I'd like my Sega CD more if it weren't so damn flaky; after 30-90 minutes of gameplay, it starts struggling to load and (especially) seek. I suspect it has an overheating issue of some kind since it performs better for longer when the ambient temperature is lower.

Anyway, I enjoy the system and have no plans to sell mine, but -- at least, based on what I've played so far -- it's hard to come up with a really compelling reason for you (the OP) to keep it. Most of what I want from early 1990s trash CDROM gaming, I get from my 3DO instead, but with better video quality. And the Genesis obviously covers a lot of the rest of the "CD upgrade!" library.

Otherwise I haven't yet found a "killer app" on the system. If Heart of the Alien were as good as it should've been, that would've done the trick, but it's mediocre at best. The Sega CD does have the best versions of a few multiplatform games, but in most cases it's a small edge rather than a huge difference (not B.C. Racers, though).

That said, there are a bunch of games I own but haven't yet played that I'm still hopeful about, like Third World War and Dark Wizard; I'm curious about the AD&D port too. And I like the system's oddball titles like Wirehead, Panic, and Iron Helix.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

My Japanese Model 2 is basically a dedicated uncensored Final Fight CD machine.

That's the killer app as far as I'm concerned. Having said that, the JP model limits an already anaemic library of (descent) action games even further. I really need a convertor to play Lords of Thunder at least.

The Sengoku port looks alright, but the loading between screen transitions puts me off a bit. Seems to keep all the sounds but they're lower quality. And Sammy killed off the 2 player mode as well unfortunately.

I don't understand the argument to get rid of the system because games are "very, very pricey". If you're not a collector and just want to play the games then download them and burn them to a CD.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post

That's the killer app as far as I'm concerned. Having said that, the JP model limits an already anaemic library of (descent) action games even further. I really need a convertor to play Lords of Thunder at least.

The Sengoku port looks alright, but the loading between screen transitions puts me off a bit. Seems to keep all the sounds but they're lower quality. And Sammy killed off the 2 player mode as well unfortunately.
    The problem with Final Fight CD is that I can play the arcade version on Capcom Classics Collection. There really isn't anything that the Sega CD port offers that I can't get from the arcade experience. (That's not my rule in general, so e.g. I love playing the NES, Game Boy, and 7800 versions of Galaga, but they offer a difference experience than the arcade version.) Sengoku too is better on the Neo Geo CD than the Sega CD, from what I hear.

Argh, is there really not that killer app then?

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingRyle View Post
    I don't understand the argument to get rid of the system because games are "very, very pricey". If you're not a collector and just want to play the games then download them and burn them to a CD.
    I am a collector. Otherwise I'd sell them all and just emulate 100%.

Only games that a Sega CD is needed to play are Road Avenger, and Eternal Champions Challenge from the Dark Side. Snatcher is only worth one playthrough, and Popful Mail is great, but that's really only a one-time playthrough as well. Sonic CD and Final Fight are easily available elsewhere. Lunar I and II as well. It's not really worth it to keep the system around.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    A man after my own heart. If I ever divorce can I move in with you? We can even take turns playing Ninja Warriors to spice things up.

The Sengoku port looks alright, but the loading between screen transitions puts me off a bit.
    I recently devoted some time to Sengoku (along with FFS & SS) to check out the Neo to MCD ports. Like you I was initially turned off by the frequent loads along with the animation and sound cuts. Then I picked up the SFC cart and got to see how Data East shit the bed and it made me appreciate the MCD version a lot more. The SFC version is less a port and more a complete reimagining. After that I started seeing the MCD port in the light of what Sammy managed to include versus what they had to cut. Glass half full and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Argh, is there really not that killer app then?
    Being that personal tastes vary and I'd rather take a beating than play an RPG, if ports don't cut it then IMO Silpheed, AH-3 Thunderstrike, Robo Aleste, and Soul Star are enough for me to justify leaving mine hooked up. If you lose faith in your purchase just kick back with a couple issues of Gamefan, read how they hype Silpheed up like it's the second coming, then pop it in and party like it's 1994.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    A man after my own heart. If I ever divorce can I move in with you? We can even take turns playing Ninja Warriors to spice things up.
    Yeah, why not
    Part of the reason I like FFCD so much is that it's an amazing conversion that's running on Sega hardware. I'll play other ports of it elsewhere as well, but it's a perfect complement to the cart beat 'em ups for me. The soundtrack is also a major factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    I recently devoted some time to Sengoku (along with FFS & SS) to check out the Neo to MCD ports. Like you I was initially turned off by the frequent loads along with the animation and sound cuts. Then I picked up the SFC cart and got to see how Data East shit the bed and it made me appreciate the MCD version a lot more. The SFC version is less a port and more a complete reimagining. After that I started seeing the MCD port in the light of what Sammy managed to include versus what they had to cut. Glass half full and all that.
    You're making me wanna take the dive and pick it up. It's not a common game, but then it isn't hugely expensive either.
    And yeah I've seen videos of the Super Fami version - fuckin' LOL.

Soul Star is another one I've been umming and arhhing over. I always wanted that game BITD, sold up my 16-bit stuff for the Saturn and it never happened. Now I've seen some videos the graphics are stunning but I'm a bit worried about the controls. Feel free to sell me on it.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I like a lot of the existing SegaCD library, and have a weak spot for the system myself as I've owned it since it was new.

However, my reason for you to keep it around is not just the current library, but the potential future library. Many homebrews have been put out on (or using parts of) the system as a bonus. Sonic MegaMix is a solid example, and the enhanced audio CD in Pier Solar is another. It's often easier to burn a CD than use a ROM on actual hardware.

Also, there are several translation projects for JP games like Shadowrun and Cosmic Fantasy Stories that seem to be pretty active so those are new potential titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Outrunner

Dont sell! Its a pretty addon, fits so well side by side with the Megadrive/Genesis. Other than that, maybe another guy will enjoy it...

Thread Information