Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Terminator (MD) Findings

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Default The Terminator (MD) Findings

I love Dave Perry's Terminator game on the Mega Drive, it's one of my favourite 16-bit games, but alas it seems I'm the only one who feels the same way. A few days ago, whilst lurking on the Gshi code database, I stumbled upon Game Genie codes for a Debug menu, which according to the code'sauthor, there's a cheat in-game to access it: yet, there isn't. The "hold Right, press B,C,B,B at title screen" code is for the Mega CD version; the Mega Drive version has no known cheats.

So, I tried the "Debug menu" code - there's three in all, each one allowing you to access the menu after selecting an option - one for the Options screen, one for Controller Configuration and finally, one for the Sound Test. I checked all three, and amazing a debug menu did indeed appear:

You can select any level (level 1,2A,2B,3 or 4), turn on "infinite lives" (invincibilty, proper invincibilty - you won't die from ANYTHING) and a "photograph freeze" option - turning it on will not allow you to get passed the screen, so by default it's disabled. My guess it like the freeze map option found in most of Perry's games (Earthworm Jim and Aladdin to name a few) or maybe it was for freezing the action so they could make press-release screenshots for magazines?

Most of Perry's debug menu screens have a date on them and sure enough, this one does as well: but it doesn't make mention of it being the final release like the others, which let me to come up with a theory. More on that at the bottom.

Another code, by gedowski allows use to view the square icon on the title screen, but after much testing, I think I know it's true origins: it's the original title screen graphic for how the text was displayed. Normally you would just press up/down to move the cursor to a option, but the "beta" version had the text load up each time you moved the cursor in the style that the terminator's HUD would do in the movie. Why was it cut? Because it's freaking slow.

Then, the final thing I noticed was in the Sound Test: some music tracks are not used in-game such as "Tune 1" and "Reese's Arrival" - this leads me to believe that the game was rushed to market, this is supported by the debug's menu's lack of a finalisation date, the puny ammount of levels and the fact the Sound Test lists tracks not used AT ALL in-game.

"Future Scene" and "Reese's Arrival" make me think there was an extra future level, maybe a playable version of the daydream Kyle had before he found Sarah in the film. Next, we have the track "Through Police" which I think must of been an extra level to the police station assault.

Virgin released a upgraded version for the Mega Cd - was that the version they had planned from the beginning? I think so.

Codes:

Access Debug menu at Options screen: VMLA-98DJ
    "Beta" Title Screen Text graphic: DDOT-8N48
    Credits: Code 1 by Whipon and Code 2 by gedowski over at Gshi.
    Last edited by The Jackal; 12-21-2010 at 03:06 PM.

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

I played the MD version back in the day and hated it. I thought it was far too difficult, the controls were horrible at best, and I felt like I had no idea what I was doing.
    However, some time ago I played it again and it is actually a pretty decent game, albeit a little unpolished.

Great thread, Mr Jackal - must take a look at this sometime. I always liked this game despite (well, tbh, sometimes because of) its cheesiness - and wished there were more levels. Music's great too

Hey, you are not alone in liking this game! I've had it since it came out when I was a kid and I still play it often to this day. It's so short that I can beat it in exactly 10 minutes every time I play, but that makes it great for whenever I need to just waste 10 minutes. It is still fun to go through whenever I play it, even though I have probably beaten it about 100 times now lol. I guess it takes some getting used to, and it kind of sucks that you only have 1 life and then you have to start the whole game over if you die - but it is so short that it hardly matters anyway.

ESWAT wanna be Wildside Expert

Woah, good find, good thoughs.
    But some of the music are actually used in the game. You can hear them in those short characters dialogs, in the end of text story before each level.
    1 level - "Future Scene"
    2 level - "Reese Arrival"
    3 level - "From Flames"
    4 level - "Tune 1"
    But it's quite possible that originally they were intended for other things.
    And there are still not used "Through Police" and "Termination".
    Is Foxysen on both Steam and Skype

Quote Originally Posted by Foxysen View Post
    Woah, good find, good thoughs.
    But some of the music are actually used in the game. You can hear them in those short characters dialogs, in the end of text story before each level.
    1 level - "Future Scene"
    2 level - "Reese Arrival"
    3 level - "From Flames"
    4 level - "Tune 1"
    But it's quite possible that originally they were intended for other things.
    And there are still not used "Through Police" and "Termination".
    Really? I've got to try that for myself, I mostly skip them - thanks for the correction. As for "Termination" I thought that was the music you hear when you die (the best bit of music in the game), but yeah, it's an unused track. From the sound of it, I think it was the Terminator's "termination" it's refering to: it's fits and not only that, it's near the end of the sound test.

@ Smii: The game does indeed have great music. The Technoir, 4th level and "Reese's death" tracks are my fav.

@ Arkanoid: Yeah, it's a fantastic game, but's it's got its problems. The never-ending cops glitch on level 3 (police station) is enough to piss me off, but in all, I still love it.

@ Olls: Terminator's about memorisation: after a few play-thrus and you know what's coming, then you can enjoy it. It's tough, but that's why it's fun!

I think the next thing that needs to be done is a level modifier code, I'll give it a try to make one (I'm no expert) but hopefuly I'll do it. Here's hoping there is something there to find!

EDIT: I just did a quick check on the Gshi forums and I stumbled upon Whipon's original post: according to him, there is no cheat code in the game code, and yet EVERY 16-bit Dave Perry Virgin game to date has had a button code to enable the debug menu.
    Last edited by The Jackal; 12-22-2010 at 12:51 PM.

I also believe that The Jackal's findings for this game to be rushed seem to be true.

While I was doing the usual sprite preservation, seem to found this enemy in the ROM (which I might add wastes a lot of blank space, unusual for both a Virgin and a Probe game) that I did not encounter in the game and might be unused:

Yet to find the correct palette for this enemy though so this is the closest that I can think of. Don't know who that is and where it would fit in the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Furnessly View Post
    I also believe that The Jackal's findings for this game to be rushed seem to be true.

While I was doing the usual sprite preservation, seem to found this enemy in the ROM (which I might add wastes a lot of blank space, unusual for both a Virgin and a Probe game) that I did not encounter in the game and might be unused:

Yet to find the correct palette for this enemy though so this is the closest that I can think of. Don't know who that is and where it would fit in the game...
    Very interesting! I've never seen that foe before - it looks like his holding a Desert Eagle, which Arnie did wield in the movie! Fantastic find! Rep coming your way!

BTW, I did some more digging: in the sound test there's SFX for a motorbike, yet there is no motorbike in game at all. Yet, in the later MCD version, there is.

Also, a few weeks ago, Tony H pointed me to a "Level Modifier" PAR code - digits 00-05 give you the levels in the game, 06 + 07 crash the game, BUT 08-0C repeat the levels, but they have no foes, moving backgrounds or an exit. Some interesting is Level 1 of these "void" levels is the Future Level with you playing as '84 Reese!

EDIT: On closer inspection, that looks like the Terminator (Arnold) himself - maybe a beta version?
    Last edited by The Jackal; 01-14-2011 at 11:09 AM.

This really needs to be submited to the Cutting Room Floor....
    Last edited by The Jackal; 06-16-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Banned by Administrators

as a kid I beat the Mega CD version many times. I played this as a teenager for the first time and recently to retry it and cant even beat level one!!

Its freakin ENDLESS

That mystery sprite is definatly Arnold in the police station with the laser mounted desert eagle
    Last edited by ShadowHawk; 06-16-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Master of Shinobi

With the exception of the Sega CD game, and Bethesda's amazing PC title, all of the other games based on the first Terminator film were just awful.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Very interesting! I've never seen that foe before - it looks like his holding a Desert Eagle, which Arnie did wield in the movie! Fantastic find! Rep coming your way!

BTW, I did some more digging: in the sound test there's SFX for a motorbike, yet there is no motorbike in game at all. Yet, in the later MCD version, there is.

Also, a few weeks ago, Tony H pointed me to a "Level Modifier" PAR code - digits 00-05 give you the levels in the game, 06 + 07 crash the game, BUT 08-0C repeat the levels, but they have no foes, moving backgrounds or an exit. Some interesting is Level 1 of these "void" levels is the Future Level with you playing as '84 Reese!

EDIT: On closer inspection, that looks like the Terminator (Arnold) himself - maybe a beta version?
    Very interesting but I couldn't find that PAR code anywhere.

EDIT: Found it: https://gamehacking.org/game/16085 (FFFE2C:0000)
    Last edited by Barone; 06-01-2017 at 06:30 AM.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Olls, the special needs snowman. I miss that crazy bastard.

@Jackal, cool stuff in the OP. I'd give you some necro rep, but I have to spread more around first.

This game was released unfinished, that quite obvious, just look at the animation and the lot of unused sounds... SEGA CD game is the finished game with the engine that was used later in the Terminator VS Robocop.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

SEGA Mega Drive - Mortal Kombat Arcade Edition

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    This game was released unfinished, that quite obvious, just look at the animation and the lot of unused sounds... SEGA CD game is the finished game with the engine that was used later in the Terminator VS Robocop.
    Yes, but the Sega CD game doesn't have the same level of background animation that the cartridge version has. The last stage is night and day in such aspect.

Thread Information