Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doom 32X Hacks (Wads)

ESWAT wanna be Wildside Expert

To make a map work without issues, my suggestion would be reducing the number of linedefs
    Hm, I though that the number of sectors is more imporant for memory, than the number of linedefs.
    things have to have their struct in ram as info about the thing (location, direction, animation state, etc) has to be able to change
    Question here: I put 2 things: Head on stick and head on stick (both have 1 frame), Head on stick and candelabra (1 frame too), Head on stick and red torch (Torch have 3 frames, if I remember correctly), Candelabra and red torch. In memory requiring, will it go this way: Hos and Hos < Hos and C < Hos and RT = C and RT. Or is it different?
    Is Foxysen on both Steam and Skype

I guess, that question was so ridiculous that no one answered.
    And now, let's try to port Doom 2 and Final Doom?
    I am interested in porting TNT (or evolution). Liked some maps.
    Now, Doom 2. Since it was taken already, I am not sure if to begin my own porting or not. Though it "went to nowhere", I am still not sure.

Oh, and almost forgot: What do you want to see, ports which will use textures from original Wads or ports which will use textures from Doom 32X?

If somebody cares.
    Last edited by Foxysen; 01-11-2011 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Almost forgot

i'd like a lot to play a port of doom II on my 32x!
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=27048&dateline=127929  0160

Wildside Expert

Honestly, I don't really even understand the question you are asking regarding the frames and things. I think you're asking about memory requirements for each object, but truthfully I don't know that answer. It could be that they all use the same amount of memory, or perhaps objects with multiple frames use more. It could go either way. I haven't looked into DOOM's memory management to see how it stores things.

I'd like to see DOOM II. Include as many textures as you can, but note you won't be able to use them all! You also will almost certainly have to cut some levels (preferably some of the later, larger, and harder to port levels). You can use my response file for DM2CONV to help in porting:

http://www.romhacking.net/utils/769/

Obviously you will need to find a copy of DM2CONV. It's available here:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=3898

If you decide to port anything, may the force be with you!

about larger ones, would be possible to split them in multiple levels?
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=27048&dateline=127929  0160

I hardly remember any (Or there isn't any at all) straigh-forward type of levels in Doom 2. Almost all of them require you go through all corners of level, gaining keys and opening doors. So, if to look from the side "As close in gameplay to original as possible" then I am errr... not sure.

Ok, it's too early to show any screen, but at least now you know that the first level is ready. Nothing was cut. (Oh, obviously)
    (Fun fact: Doom 32X hates any patch (textures for walls) with the name STEP2 and screws them up)

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Foxysen View Post
    I hardly remember any (Or there isn't any at all) straigh-forward type of levels in Doom 2. Almost all of them require you go through all corners of level, gaining keys and opening doors. So, if to look from the side "As close in gameplay to original as possible" then I am errr... not sure.

Ok, it's too early to show any screen, but at least now you know that the first level is ready. Nothing was cut. (Oh, obviously)
    (Fun fact: Doom 32X hates any patch (textures for walls) with the name STEP2 and screws them up)
    I don't know I am so found of the way the railing was replaced with pillars. I like the way id Software changed the maps for the Jag/32X ports -- take a look at MAP01 for example -- they raise the floor and lower the ceiling. Same with MAP03. I think it looks cleaner than the approach you have taken with the Entryway map. Just a suggestion.

Also I haven't looked, but I imagine STEP2 probably messes up due to the "tuty-fruity" issue, which basically screws up wall textures that aren't a certain size. For example, 72 pixels in height is sure to show garbage in the texture. This is due to the optimization technique the DOOM engine uses to draw textures. If the texture isn't 64 pixels, it will assume 96 pixels is the actual height, and so on. (I don't know if those are the actual numbers, but I'm using them for purposes of explaination). In other words, it expects the texture to be bigger than it is, so it starts drawing extra crap that wasn't meant to be drawn.

I don't know I am so found of the way the railing was replaced with pillars. I like the way id Software changed the maps for the Jag/32X ports -- take a look at MAP01 for example -- they raise the floor and lower the ceiling. Same with MAP03. I think it looks cleaner than the approach you have taken with the Entryway map. Just a suggestion.
    I though to make it this way at first, but then I had a though "That just too generic and also you can make these pillars without any real drop of framerate. After all, in later more memory requiring maps you won't get anything like this.". But I better stick to cleaner style, indeed.
    And I finally noticed the reason why STEP2 patch screwed up. Doom 32X already had a flat with same name.

Quote Originally Posted by Yfrid View Post
    GBA Doom II did some maps this way (MAP15 and MAP24 iirc). I didn't care for that method very much though, as it screwed with the gameplay of those maps too much.

I personally think simplifying the maps is better, as although that changes the gameplay somewhat as well, it's nowhere near as much as cutting a map in half does. Sure it might look better, but gameplay>graphics, I always say.

I don't think you should cut out parts like the Jaguar version did though, as that pushes it back into screwing up the gameplay again. PSX Doom MAP25 is a perfect example of how to simplify a map without screwing it's gameplay up, IMO. As a matter of fact, I used that map as a basis for the 32X version of the same map for my Ultimate Doom mapset I was screwing around with there for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxysen View Post
    And I finally noticed the reason why STEP2 patch screwed up. Doom 32X already had a flat with same name.
    Yeah, unlike PC Doom, the Jaguar port (and consequently the 32X port as well) can't handle a texture and a flat with the same name. I imagine that was one of the parts of the code that got streamlined out to make it fit onto the confined spaces of a cart.

Im for splitting the largest maps as too much would need to be done to have them fit and i think it would change it even more, so long as its done right of course.

Outrunner

Hate to just jump into the conversation here, but wasn't someone working on redoing the audio for the 32X so it sounds a lot better.

Would the WAD files be the place to inject these sounds at or is the engine just broken for sounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeniczone View Post
    Hate to just jump into the conversation here, but wasn't someone working on redoing the audio for the 32X so it sounds a lot better.

Would the WAD files be the place to inject these sounds at or is the engine just broken for sounds?
    Sound effects are fine... you mean the music, which most people seem to detest. It's not really great, but it's hardly bad either. I think Saxman was looking into replacing the music, but I don't know how far he got on that.

And no, the music won't be in the wad file. It normally is on Doom for the PC, but the consoles use music specific to the console, so none of them have the music in the wad file.

Wildside Expert

Here's what I have written in my hacking notes available on RomHacking.net:

Code:
    0x005C16 -- List of voice pointers (each voice is 0x27 bytes)
    	0x005E96 -- E1M1 bass

0x006EA2 -- Song pointers (starting at song #0; E1M1 is #1)
    	data: xx (yyyy) -- xx tells how many yyyy's there are
    	yyyy is a pointer to an FM track

0x00776F -- E1M1 main melody
    	0x007C9F -- E1M1 bass
    	0x01083D -- E1M1 beat

data: 00-5F -- Note
    	data: 60-7F -- Controllers
    		controller: 6B xx -- Play track xx
    	data: 80-BF -- Note sustain time (lower = quicker)
    	data: C0-FF -- Note interval (lower = quicker)
    DOOM uses GEMS. Not a great deal is known about the GEMS music formatting, but knowing how to locate the data is obviously very important.

One issue with the DOOM 32X music is the voice data. If someone thinks they can make better voices, you have the voice table right there. I don't know the format of the voices, but maybe someone would be interested in watching what YM2612 registers get changed with each byte changed in a voice. That'd be the way to figure it out.

Another issue with the music is more songs have two or three tracks, and that's it. These were very quick and dirty song conversions. There are more channels that could be used to make the songs more full. If someone figures out the sequencing format for GEMS beyond what I've attempted there in my notes, feel free to hack away!

Would be awesome if Heretic or Hexen were ported

Nameless One

Sound effects are fine... you mean the music, which most people seem to detest.
    I for one believe that the DOOM soundtrack (or DOOM II, since that's my favorite in the series) would sound absolutely awesome on the YM2612 if done right. As far as maps go, I like the "No rest for the living" mod that was included in the XBLA version of DOOM II.

Thread Information