Quantcast

Thread: Is it true that the PS3 Blue-Ray may kill your lens if you use it too much?

On NGC? No, DREAMCAST! ;D WCPO Agent GameX's Avatar

Default Is it true that the PS3 Blue-Ray may kill your lens if you use it too much?

Hello,

My uncle told me that you should be careful with the PS3 Blue-Ray Player; apparently, a PS3 game only spin when it load (then stop), but a BD will always be spinning, so abusing watching Blue-Ray Disks may eventually break your lens.

Is that true?
    I haven't tried any Blue-Ray Disk (Well, I think these are useless, for now. I don't have an HDTV, so...), so I prefer to know before trying.

Thanks
    Collection:

NES [11/XX/90] N64 [12/25/03] GB [2003 or 2004] GBA SP [2004 or 2005] NGC [12/25/04] Wii [12/25/07] DS Lite [10/21/10] SNES [05/31/20]

GenMobile [05/XX/10 - 04/17/11] DC [07/23/10] GEN1-HDG [10/25/10] Saturn Model 2 [04/24/11] Game Gear [07/21/17] SMS [08/07/17] GEN2 [08/09/17] SCD2 [08/09/17] 32x [08/24/17] GEN3 [06/06/20] GEN-Mini [06/10/20] Nomad [08/22/21] GG Micro [10/05/21]

PS3 Slim 320GB + PSMove [12/25/10] PS2 Slim [02/09/11] PS [04/24/11]

Xbox [04/24/11]

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

The Blu-ray drive spins constantly with games as well. The amount of data needed for games is a lot more than the system can hold. The extremely loud DVD drive of the 360 is always spinning when I play games on that system.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Man Beyond Bionics Wildside Expert InfraMan's Avatar

I've used my PS3 almost exclusively for playing Blu-Ray discs for the last four years, and I haven't had any problems with it. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

Well, you could look at it like this: every mechanical device has a finite number of uses. Some last longer than others, but the more you use it, the faster it will eventually fail.

Would I worry about it? Nah. I use my ps3 as my primary media/dvd/bluray player as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Banned by Administrators

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Well, you could look at it like this: every mechanical device has a finite number of uses. Some last longer than others, but the more you use it, the faster it will eventually fail.

Would I worry about it? Nah. I use my ps3 as my primary media/dvd/bluray player as well.
    ^ what he said

I heard the same thing about the PS2 years ago. "Watching DVDs will ruin the lens!"

Or did I? Outrunner Vyse of Arcadia's Avatar

Of all the things to have an urban legend about, why the lens? Not "the disc motor will where out," its "the lens itself will mysteriously stop working."

I guess the energy of the laser itself could maybe slowly warp the lens, but it seems more likely that moving parts will wear out first.

Outrunner

O yeah, I remember the rumor about the PS2. That it would slow your games down or something if you played DVDs in it.

Yeah, Just rumors my friend. Playing Blu-Ray Movies in your PS3 won't wear it out any fast than playing games.

Seeking is MUCH more wearing than constant spinning, that's the reason pirate DC games can wear out the drive faster (less linear loading).

Not sure if any newer systems specifically manage seeking better as such though.
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

My ps3 blu-ray drive wore out after maybe 2 years. I watched alot of blu-rays and dvds on it. However my ps2 lasted since january 2001 being my only dvd player till 2007 and never had problems. I'd say don't worry about it. Even if it can wear out, just buy another one. It doesn't make much sense to buy a second machine and have 2 to do the job of 1 imo. Plus by the time it wears out they'll be cheaper anyway.

Rogue Master of Shinobi Pulstar's Avatar

YET another way to look at it: Since you don't have an HDTV why watch Blurays to begin with? DVDs are good for CRTs, and the players are a dime a dozen. By the time you get an HDTV BD players ought to have become cheaper. And if you're worried about tear and wear just perform full installs on your HDD. Thankfully the PS3 accepts normal spec drives. Simple logic if you think about it, unless you're building up a Bluray movie library.

Road Rasher

Eventually, you'll see PS3's for $8 at thrift stores, and that's about when your laser will die, so you'll be in good shape :-)

Thread Information