Quantcast

Thread: Looking for a Sega Genesis

Megadrive Looking for a Sega Genesis

As the subject above says, but I have some questions.

1. What are the changes between Generation 1,2,3?

2. What should I look out for? In terms of getting a used Genesis.

3. Is it possible to get a system new?

Revolutionary Communist Nameless One HetmanTancred's Avatar

1. Model 1 is the sexy one in my opinion. It's much larger than the model 2 one and has a headphone jack to the side and it says 16 bit on it. Idiotically, you can only get stereo sound from the headphone jack. Model 2 was the newer and more common one being much smaller. Model 3 was the Majesco remake. Don't get the model 3 whatever you do because you won't be able to connect a Sega CD to it or a 32x (not sure about the 32x though).

2. Nothing really. As long as it comes with all the wires. All you need is an AC adapter and an AV cable or an RF adapter. The model 2 Genesis uses a different AC adapter than a model 1 one.

3. I doubt it.

BTW, where in NYC do you live?

The Genesis 1 uses a larger A/V connector than the Genesis 2 and 3. Be careful not to get the wrong cable, but you should be OK if the video wires are included. I much prefer the Genesis 1, but if you don't want to run a separate wire from the headphone jack to your stereo system in order to get stereo sound, then get the Genesis 2 since it is all built in to one cable.

I like the second model better because it's easier find AV hookups for it. (I think.) As for where to get one, look around locally at pawn shops, etcetera. Should be easier than eBay.

I prefer the early version of Model 1 because you don't have to see that annoying message ("Produced by or under license of Sega") when you start up the console, stealing approximately 3 seconds of your life every time you want to play a game.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Or did I? Outrunner Vyse of Arcadia's Avatar

Slightly off topic, I once saw a Dreamcast and a Genesis sitting side by side in a pawn shop.

They were both $15.

I think I cried.

Really, though, the most important thing is making sure it works before you buy it. If you're getting it locally, see if the dude who's selling it will let you play test it. If you're getting it online, make sure the seller has a good reputation and accepts returns.

Slightly off topic, I once saw a Dreamcast and a Genesis sitting side by side in a pawn shop.

They were both $15.

I think I cried.
    *pats Vyse's back* We're here for ya, man.

Quote Originally Posted by HetmanTancred
    1. Model 1 is the sexy one in my opinion. It's much larger than the model 2 one and has a headphone jack to the side and it says 16 bit on it. Idiotically, you can only get stereo sound from the headphone jack. Model 2 was the newer and more common one being much smaller. Model 3 was the Majesco remake. Don't get the model 3 whatever you do because you won't be able to connect a Sega CD to it or a 32x (not sure about the 32x though).

2. Nothing really. As long as it comes with all the wires. All you need is an AC adapter and an AV cable or an RF adapter. The model 2 Genesis uses a different AC adapter than a model 1 one.

3. I doubt it.

BTW, where in NYC do you live?
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I live in the Bronx.

Yes, I agree with Zebbe 100%. I always forget about that since only my spare Genesis does that, and I never have much of a reason to play my spare Genesis.

Thread Information