Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Zealand Story

[QUOTE=Mr Nuts;429581]You continue on games?....tsk![/QUOTE

I know what you did there
    Last edited by Curryman123; 12-07-2011 at 02:31 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Watch your back, shoot straight, and never cut a deal with the dragon. (from Shadowrun)

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    How does it compare to the PC-Engine version? That one seemed more colorful than the MD one to me.
    Sorry for D.post. But to answer Melf's question, the MD version features remixed levels (different level layout from the original arcade release). The Pc engine version is based on the original arcade release and is similar to the amiga version.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Watch your back, shoot straight, and never cut a deal with the dragon. (from Shadowrun)

Hero of Algol

There's a good chunk of misinformation in this thread.

Let me try to rectify it:
    - The Mega Drive port is based on the prototype version of the arcade game. So there's hardly anything more "original" than the version the MD port is based on.
    - The Prototype/MD version has 13 levels vs 20 levels of the standard arcade/most of ports. BUT the initial levels of the Prototype/MD set feature longer/more complex maps.
    - The Prototype/MD version has far more aggressive AI.
    - MD version lacks the secret warps of the arcade prototype AFAIK (which is a let down IMO).
    - MD version has an exclusive extra firing option for the bomb weapon: it can be either thrown as normal, or angled up by jumping and shooting at the same time.
    - MD version lacks the ability of making your character 'fly' by smashing the jump button while on air (you could do that on the arcade).
    - MD version computes the time bonus points (the amount depends on how fast you complete the level) at the end of each level, like the standard Arcade release and unlike the prototype version it's based on. It's a plus IMO.

For more info see:

1) Arcade Level Set Comparisons

2) Retro Otaku Densetsu review:
    http://retrootakudensetsu.blogspot.c...ega-drive.html
    Last edited by Barone; 08-16-2015 at 09:36 PM.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

^Hey, that kind of info is gold. Thanks for that.

It makes me miss Josh, oddly enough, since (as you've noted) he was great about supplying super-specific, bullseye information -- in his case, about fighting games. I wish we had more posts like his and yours!

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Thumbs up

Wow! Excellent job Barone! I'll have to go a step further: This info is platinum and deserving of a SEGA-16 article! Not only to set the record straight but to discuss the nuances of the MD game versus the arcade version!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

That link was great, thanks! It's a bitch of a game, this MD version, and I was pleased to see the guy mention that the collision detection was a bit off compared to the arcade since I thought something felt a bit weird about it. That coupled with some difficult spike jumps had me losing lives more than I felt I should have.

Great that this alternate level set is preserved outside of the arcade though as he said.

feel the shell shock! WCPO Agent negative chill's Avatar

Funny story, before I played this game, I had no idea that New Zealand even existed. Mind you this was during my teen years, so you can blame my youthful ignorance

“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn’t understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.”—Eric Schmidt

Hero of Algol

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

@OverDrone
    I don't think the collision detection is "off"; it seems to be consistent throughout the game, just "wider" I'd say.
    I think it can be intentional.
    They removed the secret warps but the warp animation is all there and it's used only before the final boss AFAIK; so it wasn't a ROM space constraint cut or something like that IMO.
    I believe they tried to increase the replay value of the game by making it harder with a bit wider collision box; making it impossible to fly by abusing the jump button and cutting off the secret warps so you both can't complete the game in like under ten minutes and, that way, you're also forced to explore the maps a bit more for the "EXTEND" letters.

Here's a very pro run I've found on nicovideo.jp that was originally in 4 parts and I've merged it in one single video. It's very low quality because nicovideo only delivers shitty quality to non-subscribers like me, but the run does the trick IMO. And does it in great fashion.
    Watch/Download it here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0c...ew?usp=sharing

As you can see in the end, the story intro text is also present in the MD version.
    Last edited by Barone; 08-17-2015 at 01:32 PM.

That Japanese player got screwed on the last boss. That stunk.

Also, great find! I really should spend some more time with the game, but it's good to know that the MD version being my introduction to the game maybe wasn't such a good idea.

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

Can't give rep Barone till I spread some around.

I have this game on two Taito PS2 collections, US and Japan, and a complete boxed copy for the Mega Drive, I remember the $45 I spent for it, if I could go back in time, I'd not change a thing, I love the purchase (thanks to my friend for getting me a not quite complete but boxed Rainbow Islands Extra on the MD as well not long after). I always thought the MD version was based on another revision of TNZS, and not a prototype, learn something new everyday.

WCPO Agent

Wouldn' it be a game for which a level editor would be a nice feature ?

I assume this game was developed completely by Taito (I haven't seen info otherwise and who else would have the prototype code?). It makes me wonder why they thought to use the loke-test level layouts instead of the more tweaked/refined later versions. I suppose it gives TNZS freaks the ultra-hard "omake" revision to really push their Kiwi-navigation skills to the next level, especially with the punishing lack of warps. Warps are such a large part of The New Zealand Story; it's odd that they didn't include them. It certainly turns the game into an extreme endurance test, given just how much meaner enemies are in the MD port.

Still though, I'm impressed at how well the port handles. This game strangely has a bad reputation, it seems.

Thread Information