Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is purpose of 4 play adaptor?

Default What is purpose of 4 play adaptor?

I know im not the only person that would've loved to see a SoR or Final Fight with 4 players. Hell TMNT would've been so great with 4 players yet we never ever seen a beat em up with 4 players. There were a shit load of sports games, wrestling games and well Bomberman games that supported it but not much else really. I did hear that Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story supports 3 players but I cant find anything on youtube that shows how that mode plays

I do wonder was it a technical issue? But then again even when the Saturn and PSX got here there was still the same issues. Sure Guardian Hero's supported 6 players but that was simply in fighter mode as in the main story it was simply 2 players with the undead warrior as the 3rd guy is just a CPU person at that. And Three Dirty Dwarves supported 3 actual players. But even Capcom didn't bother with there Saturn ports of D&D with the friggin 4MB ram cart.

Or was it one of these
    A. Some sort of technical limitation (8 and 16-Bit days)
    B. Laziness of developers part (32-Bit era)
    C. Multitaps didn't sell all to well (every era)

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

For me it was:
    1. Few games that I knew of supported more than 2-Players.
    2. IIRC the Multi-Taps cost close to, if not more than a standard controller.
    3. I was fine with just 2-Player. Although 3 or 4 Player SoR would've kicked ass!

Overall, I just don't think they sold well. None of my friends at the time had a Multi-Tap. Including the ones that owned an SNES.

spineless Wildside Expert Royce's Avatar

I've never done it myself, but Lost Vikings would be pretty cool with three players. The only problem is that in 2 players the screen only follows the first player. How would that work in 3 play mode?

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

I believe they just never sold very well making support for them kind of pointless.

The situation had players having to choose between Sega- and EA-versions, both of them useless for the other company's games.

Then Codemasters came with the J-Cart, rendering all adaptors useless for the most popular multiplayer series on MD: Micro Machines.

So for MM no adaptor at all was needed, the popular EA Sports games had their own and Sega another one. The market was just screwed up this way. You just can't sell this mess to people well, and knowing that having 3- or 4-player modes probably just did not seem worth the effort.

Road Rasher

Hell some racing games would have been more fun with 4 players- Imagine Virtua Racing in 4 player mode! Nintendo did this on the N64 with Mario Cart 64, split the screen so that each player has 1/4 of the screen

Sure, but VR would probably not have been possible in 4-player-splitscreen. I imagine having to render the screen for 4 players simultanously would have by far exceeded what the SVP could handle.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 108 Stars View Post
    Sure, but VR would probably not have been possible in 4-player-splitscreen. I imagine having to render the screen for 4 players simultanously would have by far exceeded what the SVP could handle.
    No love for awesome retro looking very very low-poly wireframe 3D graphics?

Quote Originally Posted by dbtmellis View Post
    Imagine Virtua Racing in 4 player mode!

That would be worth the $100 price tag.
    "I can't hold it!" - Vapor Trail Pilot

If only Codemasters licenced the J-Cart to other developers to make multiplayer games more successful on the console. Then there wouldn't be any multitap confusion between EA and Sega. As for the 3 player mode on Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, I think it is like IK+ on the Commodore 64 but not sure.

As for why there are lack of 4 player beat'em ups, it was probably due to limits even at the Saturn/Playstation era since it has to load 4 player characters and the enemies, unless you want lots of cut backs (and load times for Playstation/Saturn) plus there's also sprite limits to think about as well on top of that. It isn't as bad as fighting games where it has to load up all the animations for both fighters and the player select especially if the latter has to load every character (which is why that RAM cart for the Saturn was needed for some games). Then again I'm not technical so I'm not sure if it is possible on the Saturn/Playstation possibly TMNT/Turtles in Time might be done but something like X-Men or Simpsons might not be, but I do know that having 4 player beat'em ups on the Genesis/SNES is pretty much impossible even with lots of flicker. From experience, multitaps don't seem to be as common as the other accessories for the consoles like controllers and memory cards so why develop on something that isn't easy to find like the Playstation Link Cable or the NegCon/JogCon controller.

Also the arcade needed something attractive, so multiplayer was often included as a special thing to lure customers to the machines to spend money on, if the home consoles offered the same, then people wouldn't have gone to the arcades causing them lost sales.

Yuu Yuu Hakusho Makyou Toitsusen is a fighting game and it supports 4 players through multitap. May want to give it a try.

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Yuu Yuu Hakusho Makyou Toitsusen is a fighting game and it supports 4 players through multitap. May want to give it a try.
    and its AWESOME!!!

there are more games supporting 4 player. Like ACME all stars or General chaos. Columns 3 can played with up to 5 players by the way... But over all there are not as many 4-player games as there could be.

I think there is a list off all 4-player games around..

the foreplay adaptor is a way to mutually stimulate both you - and the megadrive - before sexual intercourse.

Death Adder's minion Sega Gremlin's Avatar

How much use can these things really get? How often is it that you have 3 or 4 friends willing and able to play?

I never had any of the multi-taps years ago, but one of my friends did. I think we may have played 4-player General Chaos or NHL '94 once or twice. That's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Furnessly View Post
    As for why there are lack of 4 player beat'em ups, it was probably due to limits even at the Saturn/Playstation era since it has to load 4 player characters and the enemies, unless you want lots of cut backs (and load times for Playstation/Saturn) plus there's also sprite limits to think about as well on top of that. It isn't as bad as fighting games where it has to load up all the animations for both fighters and the player select especially if the latter has to load every character (which is why that RAM cart for the Saturn was needed for some games). Then again I'm not technical so I'm not sure if it is possible on the Saturn/Playstation possibly TMNT/Turtles in Time might be done but something like X-Men or Simpsons might not be, but I do know that having 4 player beat'em ups on the Genesis/SNES is pretty much impossible even with lots of flicker. From experience, multitaps don't seem to be as common as the other accessories for the consoles like controllers and memory cards so why develop on something that isn't easy to find like the Playstation Link Cable or the NegCon/JogCon controller.

Also the arcade needed something attractive, so multiplayer was often included as a special thing to lure customers to the machines to spend money on, if the home consoles offered the same, then people wouldn't have gone to the arcades causing them lost sales.
    I don't agree with that statement the Saturn somehow managed to get 10 players on Bomberman and 12 on that terrible Hockey game. 3 on Three Dirty Dwarves so you mean to tell me Capcom could'nt fit 4 in with the 4MB ram cart too? Plus looking at the specs of the System 32,

System 32 Specifications
    Main CPU: NEC V60 @ 16.107950 MHz
    Sound CPU: ZiLOG Z80 @ 8.053975 MHz
    Sound Chip: 2x Yamaha YM3438 @ 8.053975 MHz + Ricoh RF5c68 @ 12.5 MHz
    Display Resolution: 320 x 224
    Colors: 16384[12]

IDK how much ram it contained but the Saturn pretty much shits on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I didn't mention that game but that functionality is the same as Guardian Heroe's.

You can compare the microscopic sprites from Bomberman with sprites for a bemu. That's not even remotedly the same thing.

Bomberman: Tiny sprites, just a handful frames of animation.

Fighting games even needed the RAM expansion for 1:1 NeoGeo ports of games with just two fighters on screen, comparable in size to what a beat' em up would offer.

So even if every single character would have less animations it would still be hard to do with 4 different characters playable and various enemies and their animation on screen at the same time.

I think the technical difficulties are a reasonable explanation for the lack of such games in the 32-bit-era.

Thread Information