Quantcast

View Poll Results: How do you play your Sega Genesis games?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hardware only, baby!

58 40.28%
  • Emulation only (the dark side).

13 9.03%
  • Mostly hardware, but emulation for some titles

60 41.67%
  • Mostly emulation, but hardware for some titles

10 6.94%
  • I don't play Sega games, SNES rules!

3 2.08%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Hardware vs. Emulation

Drink the radium. Death Adder's minion Radithor's Avatar

"Mostly hardware, but emulation for some titles"

I would be hardware only, if it wasn't for my habit to 'try before I buy.' I almost never buy a game without trying it out first, and most of the time this happens with emulators. However I generally end up getting every game I get an emulation of, except for the few unavalable in PAL region.

I use both real hardware and emulation

When I play rpgs I usually play them on emulators for save states and for the fast forward mode which really helps with the tedious level grinding some rpgs demand.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Original hardware only for me. I only play on emulators to get clean screen shots.

I do buy re-release collections for various reasons and have used emulation on the go in the past and recently. I paid for the Genesis emulator for my Android phone. It cost half of what Sega was charging at the time for an inferior emulation of only Shining Force for iphone. Shining Force alone justified it for me.

Like I said, I still buy various sets and like supporting publishers, but I own the "license use" or whatever for Shining Force in particular several times over with all the official copies of the game I already own, including the Genesis and Mega Drive originals.

To be honest, I really don't like playing through emulation. It just doesn't feel the same, especially with screen size and the controller not being the same. If I'm playing Genesis games, I want to play with a Genesis controller, not a knockoff PS2-style USB controller. I've used emulation in the past if I REALLY wanted to play a game that I didn't have yet/couldn't obtain (See: Blockbuster Championship II Cart, Tetris), but even still it just doesn't feel right.

And what's the point of even having the hardware if you aren't going to use it? Hardware all the way!
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Hardware wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    To be honest, I really don't like playing through emulation. It just doesn't feel the same, especially with screen size and the controller not being the same. If I'm playing Genesis games, I want to play with a Genesis controller, not a knockoff PS2-style USB controller. I've used emulation in the past if I REALLY wanted to play a game that I didn't have yet/couldn't obtain (See: Blockbuster Championship II Cart, Tetris), but even still it just doesn't feel right.

And what's the point of even having the hardware if you aren't going to use it? Hardware all the way!
    The controller is definitely a big part of making a Genesis game feel like a Genesis game...

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post
    The controller is definitely a big part of making a Genesis game feel like a Genesis game...
    Quote for truth.

Right now my favorite Genesis controller is the official 3-Button. Why? Because it makes me feel even more that I'm playing a Genesis game. I have fond memories of playing Sonic & Knuckles in horrible RF with this kind of controller. It has a very "nostalgicible" feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Quote for truth.

Right now my favorite Genesis controller is the official 3-Button. Why? Because it makes me feel even more that I'm playing a Genesis game. I have fond memories of playing Sonic & Knuckles in horrible RF with this kind of controller. It has a very "nostalgicible" feel to it.
    Amusingly, I *just* got my first, original 3-Button Sega controller (embarrassing, I know). When I started collecting as the Genesis was dying, I bough a Genesis 3. Since then, I've picked up a number of consoles and controllers, but always seemed to pick up 6-button controllers through circumstance. I finally ran across one in the wild for cheap and picked it up. I have to say, I really like it a lot. It's now my preferred controller (unless a game needs 6 buttons, like SF or Comix Zone). I like the heft and the ease of pressing the buttons. The d-pad is superior to the 6-button as well (at least, to the ones I have). It's amazing I've gone this long without one.

Thread Information