Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budokan: The Martial Spirit cartridge problems

spineless Wildside Expert Royce's Avatar

Default Budokan: The Martial Spirit cartridge problems

I'm not sure if the tech aid section is for just the console, but recently I have been having trouble with a cartridge. The game is Budokan: The Martial Spirit. I realize that this is one of those EA games that needs to be played through a game genie. However, when I play it through a game genie I get a red screen every time. Is there some sort of code I need to enter? Any ideas what might be causing this?

I have cleaned the game and the game genie and it still does not work.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Yes there IS a game genie code that is supposed to let you play the game. However when I would use that code, the game would only be playable for like 1 minute or less, before it would freeze up.

Actually that was the best I ever got with my childhood Genesis (model 1 but it was NOT HDG, and it DID have TMSS, as it was the lame VA7).

Down the road I got a sweet HDG, non-TMSS model 1 and Budokan plays perfectly.

Do you have that code? I have a HDG Sega Genesis, but it does have the TMSS...

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

I've played the game...OK tested the game on a Nomad via GG without putting a single code in...I just press start at the code screen.

The game only ended because I got bored.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture View Post
    I've played the game...OK tested the game on a Nomad via GG without putting a single code in...I just press start at the code screen.

The game only ended because I got bored.
    Alright so the red screen is probably caused by something else. I'm going to have to find a non-TMSS console to test it myself.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

FWIW, I wasn't able to get the US version of the Budokan ROM to work on my Nomad or Model 2 (via Everdrive), with or without a Game Genie attached. The Euro ROM worked fine, though.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    FWIW, I wasn't able to get the US version of the Budokan ROM to work on my Nomad or Model 2 (via Everdrive), with or without a Game Genie attached. The Euro ROM worked fine, though.
    Thanks. It seems like so many people have had different experiences with this game. I don't know why anyone would lie, so why does this game work with a game genie for some, and not for others?

Well it do work:

Exhibits A&B:

I own this game (cart only) simply for testing purposes, and for situations just like this.

I'm assuming your cart is definitely not the Euro version -- right?

Not that I know how to tell the difference at a glance, unless it's as simple as Genesis vs. Mega Drive logos on the carts. Then again, I have a US Kid Chameleon that says Mega Drive on the label, which I guess is a known aberration.

"Made for use on the Sega Genesis system"

I'd say its a US cart.

I guess I just have a poopy cart. I'm gonna try opening it up, and cleaning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    I guess I just have a poopy cart. I'm gonna try opening it up, and cleaning it.
    Personally I bet your cart is fine; I bet it's just the wrong model Genesis! When I was using my model 1 (non-HDG, with TMSS), Budokan would simply not play. When I tried the Game Genie, I would get the red screen that u mentioned (only sometimes IIRC. Other times, not the red screen, but it still wd not work; I think it got a black screen sometimes too). Then I found that Game Genie CODE, which let me play the game for about 1 minute, before the screen would just freeze. So I never got Budokan to work right on that model Genesis (the lame VA7).

Then I got a sweet model 1 (HDG and no TMSS). The sound is better, and Budokan plays fine.

As for why people have different experiences with this game, I don't know, but it's interesting. For one, it's rather rare & unpopular, so experiences are limited to only a few collectors out there. Also I bet that slight hardware revisions must make a big difference with Budokan, more than other games, hence people report different results, with similar (or same) hardware...

I would say that Budokan (U) not running on TMSS systems is normal. The real mystery is whether Rusty Venture has some sort of rare (undumped?) variation. See also here for some previous discussion.

Weren't some of the "infamous five" -- Budokan, Ishido, Onslaught, Populous, and Zany Golf -- re-released in TMSS-compatible form? I mean, besides the Euro release of Budokan?

Alright thanks guys. It seems as if I'm going to be hunting down a non-TMSS model then.

Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Alright thanks guys. It seems as if I'm going to be hunting down a non-TMSS model then.
    It's always a good choice to get a nice HDG, non-TMSS model 1.

Because at the very least, the sound will always sound the best. It's nice to know, especially for the games with the best soundtracks, like Phantasy Star IV!!!

I don't however know how to guarantee that any particular Genesis will play it or not, except trying it out, since people report all kinds of things. Clearly the early Genesis sounds the best always, and has the best chance of playing it right. Also look up that Game Genie code, if u want to just play the game for a minute or two.

Thread Information