Quantcast

Thread: Stormlord

Ninja Stormlord

What better way to celebrate Valentine's Day than with half-naked fairies? That seems to be what people remember most about Razorsoft's controversial title Stormlord. Of course, there's some deep gameplay in as well, but there's something about those fairies that has kept the game in the public consciousness for two decades. Either way, Stormlord is worth checking out. Whether you're in it for the cleavage or the challenging puzzles, this might be a title you need to play! Read our full review for all the uncensored details.
    Last edited by Melf; 09-02-2011 at 05:15 PM.

330 Mega Pro Gear Spec Death Adder's minion RetroKingSimon's Avatar

Well, I think it's a splendid review

Your best work yet!

The graphics are yuck!

Quote Originally Posted by Curryman123 View Post
    The graphics are yuck!
    No, they are not.

However, if there's one thing this game should've been better at is the music.
    This is a hard and demanding game, and a more cheerful soundtrack would've helped.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Curryman123 View Post
    The graphics are yuck!
    What? I always thought the graphics were great; probably the strongest part of the whole game!

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    No, they are not.

However, if there's one thing this game should've been better at is the music.
    This is a hard and demanding game, and a more cheerful soundtrack would've helped.
    Well the soundtrack is NOT cheerful (actually it's gloomy) but I always thought the songs were dark & beautiful. The haunting music, plus the graphics being creepy AND pretty, make an awesome atmosphere for Stormlord. That's really what it has going for it: graphics, music, & atmosphere.

The gameplay is pretty simple yet it's very difficult to survive, to figure out the steps needed for each level, and also to pull off those steps before dying or running out of time. To figure out a stage will take many, many tries.

I had this game as a kid & liked it. I never got past a certain level, maybe the 6th one? It was an outdoor level, with a very tight time limit, and there was one pit I could never jump over. Not even once. lol

My one big complaint was that the guy can't walk faster! It seems the biggest hindrance of the whole game, especially given the time limits, the impossible jumps, and the many enemies u have to avoid!

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Question! On the title screen (seen on Sega-16's homepage right now): On the right side of the title screen, do u guys think there's a face in the sky? I could never decide, all these years. It looks like a crazy face, but I can't decide if it's intentional, or if it's just random designs in the sky...

ALSO: Apparently there are at least 2 versions of the game, one with the girls naked, and one with the girls wearing skimpy clothes. (By "girls" I mean the giant fairy statues, and also the tiny fairies that you rescue.)

I guess I gave my original copy to a friend BITD, but I always thought they were naked. In the copy I have now, it's almost impossible to tell the difference, but I think they're clothed (with skimpy cloth that's almost the same color as the skin). I can barely tell at all; I'm only using AV cables, so maybe I could tell with a better connection...
    Last edited by Ecco; 02-16-2011 at 04:23 PM.

I just checked the American ROM, and it does have both the naked and the clothed fairies even though it only displays the latter in game. The clothed ones which is really just a grey thong are with the other sprites and background tiles, while the nude ones are near the end of the graphics (not the end of the ROM though, it is about half way actually).

Whether the naked version was released or actually a prototype I don't know, but I can at least confirm still being there in the ROM and have not been removed but they might have got removed in the Japanese version though, need to check that.

As for the game, it looks okay, quite hard and it is an Amiga port rather like Technocop from the same developer.

My only issue with the graphics is the black backgrounds. Some detail there would have been nice. Imagine it with parallax scrolling!

not a real fan Raging in the Streets old man's Avatar

There is a hack that uncensors the game.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/218/

Only played it on the Spectrum and i loved the game i shall be checking this out

Thread Information