Quantcast

Page 413 of 415 FirstFirst ... 313363403409410411412413414415 LastLast
Results 6,181 to 6,195 of 6217

Thread: Game Sack

Wildside Expert

Why are so many people excited about Darius other than it's a previously unreleased game? Darius 2 (Sagaia) was released on Genesis/MD, and while it's a good game, it's not in the same league as the best horizontal shmups on the console. Is Darius 1 a significantly better game?

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsox2013 View Post
    Why are so many people excited about Darius other than it's a previously unreleased game? Darius 2 (Sagaia) was released on Genesis/MD, and while it's a good game, it's not in the same league as the best horizontal shmups on the console. Is Darius 1 a significantly better game?
    The 1986 arcade original is obviously more primitive than the sequel, but how much mileage you'll get from it will likely depend on how much you enjoy the series in general. The arcade version used three screens (Darius II was dual-monitor), had limited player shots on screen, and is the only Darius entry to use checkpoints. Having said that it has a unique appeal of it's own for fans. The MD offering looks expertly handled - and apparently weighs in at 32 MEG - which is more than enough to handle a port of this game. If the level design has been carefully adjusted for a single screen display then

As an aside, I think the MD Darius II is up there with the best shooters on the console, certainly in the horizontal stakes. Sublime control, power-up system and classic level design that takes the brutal original and deftly remixes it for the home version.

I'm biased though I guess, since I put the Darius series up there with Gradius and R-Type as one of the holy trinity of horizontal shooters.
    Last edited by OverDrone; 08-16-2019 at 01:46 AM.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I put Gradius as tier 1, while the others are on a tier 2 level for me.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Yeah. Gradius admittedly got there first too, released the year before Darius, it's more or less the blueprint for the 'modern' horizontal shooter as it would be defined through the eighties and nineties (and beyond).

The power-up bar was a clever and iconic feature, so much so that Toaplan were inspired to use it in Slap Fight the following year
    Last edited by OverDrone; 08-16-2019 at 02:52 AM.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Never cared for Gradius. Darius for me.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

If you're only interested in the very best of each each kind of game, do you only play as dozen specific Genesis/MD titles?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Never cared for either Darius Or Gradius on 16 bit systems. Super R Type, TF IV and Gynoug smashed them to bits . Can't wait for the Mega Drive mini to ship, what a great product SEGA as made, only hope they make a Saturn, DC and Astro Mini's next
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    If you're only interested in the very best of each each kind of game, do you only play as dozen specific Genesis/MD titles?
    Absolutely not. My tastes vary widely, and I like many games that are widely disliked. I think it's great that Sega took the time to add a previously unreleased game to the Mini lineup. I was simply interested in why the first game in a series that's already on the system has created so much buzz. Looking at the comments here, it seems there's a lot of positive interest in Darius, and that's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Never cared for either Darius Or Gradius on 16 bit systems. Super R Type, TF IV and Gynoug smashed them to bits . Can't wait for the Mega Drive mini to ship, what a great product SEGA as made, only hope they make a Saturn, DC and Astro Mini's next
    Gradius is freaking awesome. R-Type doesn't hold a candle to that series.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Gradius is freaking awesome. R-Type doesn't hold a candle to that series.
    I didn't start to enjoy Gradius until Gaiden on the PS and Gradius V on the PS2 is something else and one of the best shooters ever made.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Wildside Expert

I didn't start to enjoy Gradius until Gaiden on the PS and Gradius V on the PS2 is something else and one of the best shooters ever made.
    Gradius V is amazing - what a great combination of a legendary franchise teamed up with a great developer (Treasure). Even though it's not promoted as a Treasure release, I love how the rear box art says "A Treasure of Intense Shooting Action".

Gradius V is my least favorite title in the series. I think that even Gradius Galaxies on the GBA is a much better title.
    Last edited by gamevet; 08-18-2019 at 02:49 AM.

Gradius V is amazing - what a great combination of a legendary franchise teamed up with a great developer (Treasure). Even though it's not promoted as a Treasure release, I love how the rear box art says "A Treasure of Intense Shooting Action".
    Its one of the best shooters ever made, if the games 1st level doesn't get you going (with the swirling backgrounds and pumping music) nothing will. Hitoshi Sakimoto soundtrack is incredible too
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Dave make a brief return later on in the vid.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

It was great hearing Joe review games again, and the ending skit was funny.

Thread Information