Quantcast

Page 418 of 419 FirstFirst ... 318368408414415416417418419 LastLast
Results 6,256 to 6,270 of 6272

Thread: Game Sack

Mark Cerny created the SMS version. You know what else he created? The PlayStation 4, the PlayStation Vita, the PlayStation 5, and Marble Madness. All of these things are equal in quality.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Hansuke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Mark Cerny created the SMS version. You know what else he created? The PlayStation 4, the PlayStation Vita, the PlayStation 5, and Marble Madness. All of these things are equal in quality.
    Marble Madness' music on the Genesis is the pinnacle of Genesis sound!
    https://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=148033&dateline=16159  41118

He didn't create that. Otherwise he'd be in prison.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    I'm having a hard time watching Game Sack ever since I saw Joe admit that he didn't enjoy the Lynx version of California Games.. I mean, who doesn't like the Lynx version? its awesome!
    I was always suspicious of people that played stuff like California Games.. on purpose, and liked it.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Master of Shinobi

Joe, you surely missed a lot of great MD hacks but you explained in the video and you can't cover many more per episode as it wouldn't be as entertaining.

Anyway watching the video I was thinking about how we are remaking the 16-bit wars somewhat, as I was pissed that you covered some SNES hack that only improves framerate because it adds a special chip (SA-1 on Race Drivin, duh) which wasn't event present on the game (nor the console) to begin with (so it would be like running the game on almost 32 bit hardware so yeah: it's gonna go faster...) whereas you didn't mention the Genesis' Road Rash 2 & 3 improvement hacks which improve the FPS (particularly on 2) WITHOUT using any additional chip, just by coding the game better.

Anyway you also avoided the Street Fighter II remaster by that same Pyron which is far superior to those shown IMHO but maybe that was on purpose, or it's just that it's a more recent hack than those shown and has not yet gained the same level of awareness. It's maybe the case with many other hacks that dramatically improve the original rom (Mortal Kombat Arcade remaster anyone?). As for homebrews, there's also a lot on Genesis alone, but I understand it's getting kind of overwhelming... anyway good episode (& nailed the ending skit: I had to skip 5-10 seconds on some parts of the ending: that is how annoying I find gaming youtubers).
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    you didn't mention the Genesis' Road Rash 2 & 3 improvement hacks which improve the FPS (particularly on 2) WITHOUT using any additional chip, just by coding the game better.
    That's because I didn't know that those exist. I'm not omniscient. That sounds awesome though.

Anyway you also avoided the Street Fighter II remaster by that same Pyron which is far superior to those shown IMHO but maybe that was on purpose
    No one has hacked that hack to be compatible with MD+ that I know of. I was gonna cover Pyron's hack the last time I did this episode, but all of the Street Fighter 2 hacks honestly was quite confusing, and I couldn't find Pyron's hack available outside of his color improvements. I know there's like a war between Pyron's hack and some other gameplay improvement hack and they are battling it out and have fans on both sides, etc. I don't even remember what the other one is.

(Mortal Kombat Arcade remaster anyone?).
    I don't like Mortal Kombat and I'm definitely not a good person to cover that game. Maybe if I were 12 when it came out its edgy-ness would've appealed to me more. The graphics always kinda made me wince, even in the arcade. The digitized stuff never really did it for me. Again, maybe if I were 12 when it came out... As far as gameplay goes, Street Fighter 2 annihilates it so I don't think it's particularly fun, either. Not a fan of a block button, it's much more cumbersome and less natural to engage. Is there a hack that lets Mortal Kombat block like a real fighting game?

I was pissed that you covered some SNES hack that only improves framerate because it adds a special chip (SA-1 on Race Drivin, duh) which wasn't event present on the game (nor the console) to begin with (so it would be like running the game on almost 32 bit hardware so yeah: it's gonna go faster...)
    Dude... seriously WTF? You have absolutely no idea how much work went into that or any other SA-1 hack. Who cares if the SA-1 wasn't originally in the game? It's amazing that a slow-ass game is now much smoother and I as well as others find it fascinating. I'd love it if people would hack SVP functionality into Genesis games, though I think the Genesis is less capable of importing graphics or data since the cartridge bus is so damn slow. I'd really like to be proven wrong by the hackers here, but nobody seems to be willing to try. Maybe there's not enough documentation on the chip for hackers to code for it. Both the Mega Everdrive Pro and Mega SD can run SVP games.
    Last edited by Joe Redifer; 10-05-2022 at 11:34 PM.

Master of Shinobi

Well yes surely there's a lot of work in there, but in the end I only see a game that has (dramatically) improved FPS because it is run by additional hardware, a bit like if you actually run the original game on a sufficient-ass PC. Also I'm a Sega fanboy so that's why I don't care that much. Check out romhacking.org for Road Rash and other games' improvements.

I reckon that I don't care that much about MD+ as I find a bit off-putting to have higher quality music with plain-old regular graphics downgraded from the og arcade games (most of the time), but that's just personal taste.
    Yes the SFII remaster is a plain old rom for the stock console (I'm not that interested in any hacks that need additional hardware to work... at that point I'd just go play modern versions of those games on PC -SoR 4, Mania, etc), it's quite a departure from any other SFII hack and it's very different from his and his "rivals" previous hacks, with some dubious choices concerning the UI but it overcompensates this by being absolutely awesome everywhere else. That drama concerning little details on color hacks here and there doesn't interest me either.

As for the SA-1 thing yes, but almost every polygonal Genesis game highly benefits from overclocking your console (just check it with any emulator that allows Oc'ing to 10 and 13 Mhz) and those games look awesome that way. There's even a Zero Tolerance hack that does this (increasgin framerate IF the console is overclocked), but those Road Rash improvements do so without any kind of hardware additional support
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

Playing on an overclocked Genesis, really isn't like someone hacking a game to utilize hardware unavailable to a game when it was released. Barone pointed out a really cool hack for Gradius III on the SNES, that had pretty much all of the slowdown corrected, by taking advantage of the newer hardware.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi

Yes, I understand that from a coding POV, it's much much harder to achieve, it's not even in the same ballpark. The Road Rash improvements do so without overclocking nor additional hardware, though. The improvement in FPS is way less pronounced that the one shown by Joe, obviously. Maybe it's not such a huge achievement as the Doom hack which utilizes both 32X cpus etc etc but still.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Yes, I understand that from a coding POV, it's much much harder to achieve, it's not even in the same ballpark. The Road Rash improvements do so without overclocking nor additional hardware, though. The improvement in FPS is way less pronounced that the one shown by Joe, obviously. Maybe it's not such a huge achievement as the Doom hack which utilizes both 32X cpus etc etc but still.
    That isn't a Doom hack. It is a new port built from the ground up for 32X hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    That isn't a Doom hack. It is a new port built from the ground up for 32X hardware.
    I was thinking that just as I wrote it. But I think we should not consider the word "hack" to have such a lower rep: you must apply a file to an existing stock 32X rom so that means it's still a hack (but not a hack job at all, heh). It reuses the assets etc I guess? Or maybe the .ips file just deletes the whole rom space and replaces it with new content, but if that's the case, I don't see why they wouldn't just release a rom.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

I was thinking that just as I wrote it. But I think we should not consider the word "hack" to have such a lower rep: you must apply a file to an existing stock 32X rom so that means it's still a hack (but not a hack job at all, heh). It reuses the assets etc I guess? Or maybe the .ips file just deletes the whole rom space and replaces it with new content, but if that's the case, I don't see why they wouldn't just release a rom.
    I know very little about programming or hacking, but I believe that designing it as a patch to apply to the original port was only done as a way to sidestep the legality of using new assets from the PC version.

It literally replaces the engine and all assets.

While Wolfenstein 3D for 32X required you to patch in the assets of the retail PC version to an original rom(?).
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Master of Shinobi

I know very little about programming or hacking, but I believe that designing it as a patch to apply to the original port was only done as a way to sidestep the legality of using new assets from the PC version.

It literally replaces the engine and all assets.

While Wolfenstein 3D for 32X required you to patch in the assets of the retail PC version to an original rom(?).
    Correct, even though Doom has long been open source you're not supposed to distribute the original WADs without a license.

Technically it's a hack. You need to patch the OG 32X Doom to run it. It's not a self-contained download (homebrew). I don't see why it couldn't be, though.

Thread Information