Quantcast

Page 418 of 419 FirstFirst ... 318368408414415416417418419 LastLast
Results 6,256 to 6,270 of 6272

Thread: Game Sack

  1. #6256
    Shining Hero Joe Redifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO - USA
    Posts
    13,176
    Rep Power
    132

    Default

    Mark Cerny created the SMS version. You know what else he created? The PlayStation 4, the PlayStation Vita, the PlayStation 5, and Marble Madness. All of these things are equal in quality.

  2. #6257
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Hansuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Mark Cerny created the SMS version. You know what else he created? The PlayStation 4, the PlayStation Vita, the PlayStation 5, and Marble Madness. All of these things are equal in quality.
    Marble Madness' music on the Genesis is the pinnacle of Genesis sound!
    https://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=148033&dateline=16159  41118

  3. #6258
    Shining Hero Joe Redifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO - USA
    Posts
    13,176
    Rep Power
    132

    Default

    He didn't create that. Otherwise he'd be in prison.

  4. #6259
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    I'm having a hard time watching Game Sack ever since I saw Joe admit that he didn't enjoy the Lynx version of California Games.. I mean, who doesn't like the Lynx version? its awesome!
    I was always suspicious of people that played stuff like California Games.. on purpose, and liked it.

  5. #6260
    The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,682
    Rep Power
    207

    Default


  6. #6261
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,604
    Rep Power
    38

    Default



    Joe, you surely missed a lot of great MD hacks but you explained in the video and you can't cover many more per episode as it wouldn't be as entertaining.

    Anyway watching the video I was thinking about how we are remaking the 16-bit wars somewhat, as I was pissed that you covered some SNES hack that only improves framerate because it adds a special chip (SA-1 on Race Drivin, duh) which wasn't event present on the game (nor the console) to begin with (so it would be like running the game on almost 32 bit hardware so yeah: it's gonna go faster...) whereas you didn't mention the Genesis' Road Rash 2 & 3 improvement hacks which improve the FPS (particularly on 2) WITHOUT using any additional chip, just by coding the game better.

    Anyway you also avoided the Street Fighter II remaster by that same Pyron which is far superior to those shown IMHO but maybe that was on purpose, or it's just that it's a more recent hack than those shown and has not yet gained the same level of awareness. It's maybe the case with many other hacks that dramatically improve the original rom (Mortal Kombat Arcade remaster anyone?). As for homebrews, there's also a lot on Genesis alone, but I understand it's getting kind of overwhelming... anyway good episode (& nailed the ending skit: I had to skip 5-10 seconds on some parts of the ending: that is how annoying I find gaming youtubers).
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

  7. #6262
    Shining Hero Joe Redifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO - USA
    Posts
    13,176
    Rep Power
    132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    you didn't mention the Genesis' Road Rash 2 & 3 improvement hacks which improve the FPS (particularly on 2) WITHOUT using any additional chip, just by coding the game better.
    That's because I didn't know that those exist. I'm not omniscient. That sounds awesome though.

    Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Anyway you also avoided the Street Fighter II remaster by that same Pyron which is far superior to those shown IMHO but maybe that was on purpose
    No one has hacked that hack to be compatible with MD+ that I know of. I was gonna cover Pyron's hack the last time I did this episode, but all of the Street Fighter 2 hacks honestly was quite confusing, and I couldn't find Pyron's hack available outside of his color improvements. I know there's like a war between Pyron's hack and some other gameplay improvement hack and they are battling it out and have fans on both sides, etc. I don't even remember what the other one is.

    Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    (Mortal Kombat Arcade remaster anyone?).
    I don't like Mortal Kombat and I'm definitely not a good person to cover that game. Maybe if I were 12 when it came out its edgy-ness would've appealed to me more. The graphics always kinda made me wince, even in the arcade. The digitized stuff never really did it for me. Again, maybe if I were 12 when it came out... As far as gameplay goes, Street Fighter 2 annihilates it so I don't think it's particularly fun, either. Not a fan of a block button, it's much more cumbersome and less natural to engage. Is there a hack that lets Mortal Kombat block like a real fighting game?

    Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    I was pissed that you covered some SNES hack that only improves framerate because it adds a special chip (SA-1 on Race Drivin, duh) which wasn't event present on the game (nor the console) to begin with (so it would be like running the game on almost 32 bit hardware so yeah: it's gonna go faster...)
    Dude... seriously WTF? You have absolutely no idea how much work went into that or any other SA-1 hack. Who cares if the SA-1 wasn't originally in the game? It's amazing that a slow-ass game is now much smoother and I as well as others find it fascinating. I'd love it if people would hack SVP functionality into Genesis games, though I think the Genesis is less capable of importing graphics or data since the cartridge bus is so damn slow. I'd really like to be proven wrong by the hackers here, but nobody seems to be willing to try. Maybe there's not enough documentation on the chip for hackers to code for it. Both the Mega Everdrive Pro and Mega SD can run SVP games.
    Last edited by Joe Redifer; 10-05-2022 at 11:34 PM.

  8. #6263
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,604
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Well yes surely there's a lot of work in there, but in the end I only see a game that has (dramatically) improved FPS because it is run by additional hardware, a bit like if you actually run the original game on a sufficient-ass PC. Also I'm a Sega fanboy so that's why I don't care that much. Check out romhacking.org for Road Rash and other games' improvements.

    I reckon that I don't care that much about MD+ as I find a bit off-putting to have higher quality music with plain-old regular graphics downgraded from the og arcade games (most of the time), but that's just personal taste.
    Yes the SFII remaster is a plain old rom for the stock console (I'm not that interested in any hacks that need additional hardware to work... at that point I'd just go play modern versions of those games on PC -SoR 4, Mania, etc), it's quite a departure from any other SFII hack and it's very different from his and his "rivals" previous hacks, with some dubious choices concerning the UI but it overcompensates this by being absolutely awesome everywhere else. That drama concerning little details on color hacks here and there doesn't interest me either.

    As for the SA-1 thing yes, but almost every polygonal Genesis game highly benefits from overclocking your console (just check it with any emulator that allows Oc'ing to 10 and 13 Mhz) and those games look awesome that way. There's even a Zero Tolerance hack that does this (increasgin framerate IF the console is overclocked), but those Road Rash improvements do so without any kind of hardware additional support
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

  9. #6264
    End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    10,212
    Rep Power
    141

    Default

    Playing on an overclocked Genesis, really isn't like someone hacking a game to utilize hardware unavailable to a game when it was released. Barone pointed out a really cool hack for Gradius III on the SNES, that had pretty much all of the slowdown corrected, by taking advantage of the newer hardware.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  10. #6265
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,604
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Yes, I understand that from a coding POV, it's much much harder to achieve, it's not even in the same ballpark. The Road Rash improvements do so without overclocking nor additional hardware, though. The improvement in FPS is way less pronounced that the one shown by Joe, obviously. Maybe it's not such a huge achievement as the Doom hack which utilizes both 32X cpus etc etc but still.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

  11. #6266
    Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Age
    45
    Posts
    5,128
    Rep Power
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Yes, I understand that from a coding POV, it's much much harder to achieve, it's not even in the same ballpark. The Road Rash improvements do so without overclocking nor additional hardware, though. The improvement in FPS is way less pronounced that the one shown by Joe, obviously. Maybe it's not such a huge achievement as the Doom hack which utilizes both 32X cpus etc etc but still.
    That isn't a Doom hack. It is a new port built from the ground up for 32X hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

  12. #6267
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,604
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    That isn't a Doom hack. It is a new port built from the ground up for 32X hardware.
    I was thinking that just as I wrote it. But I think we should not consider the word "hack" to have such a lower rep: you must apply a file to an existing stock 32X rom so that means it's still a hack (but not a hack job at all, heh). It reuses the assets etc I guess? Or maybe the .ips file just deletes the whole rom space and replaces it with new content, but if that's the case, I don't see why they wouldn't just release a rom.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

  13. #6268
    Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Age
    45
    Posts
    5,128
    Rep Power
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    I was thinking that just as I wrote it. But I think we should not consider the word "hack" to have such a lower rep: you must apply a file to an existing stock 32X rom so that means it's still a hack (but not a hack job at all, heh). It reuses the assets etc I guess? Or maybe the .ips file just deletes the whole rom space and replaces it with new content, but if that's the case, I don't see why they wouldn't just release a rom.
    I know very little about programming or hacking, but I believe that designing it as a patch to apply to the original port was only done as a way to sidestep the legality of using new assets from the PC version.

    It literally replaces the engine and all assets.

    While Wolfenstein 3D for 32X required you to patch in the assets of the retail PC version to an original rom(?).
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

  14. #6269
    Master of Shinobi
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,658
    Rep Power
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I know very little about programming or hacking, but I believe that designing it as a patch to apply to the original port was only done as a way to sidestep the legality of using new assets from the PC version.

    It literally replaces the engine and all assets.

    While Wolfenstein 3D for 32X required you to patch in the assets of the retail PC version to an original rom(?).
    Correct, even though Doom has long been open source you're not supposed to distribute the original WADs without a license.

  15. #6270
    Shining Hero Joe Redifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO - USA
    Posts
    13,176
    Rep Power
    132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    That isn't a Doom hack. It is a new port built from the ground up for 32X hardware.
    Technically it's a hack. You need to patch the OG 32X Doom to run it. It's not a self-contained download (homebrew). I don't see why it couldn't be, though.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •