Quantcast

Thread: Sol-Deace

Sonic Sol-Deace

Renovation was quite a prolific publisher during the Genesis era, and it almost single-handedly kept the space shooter (shmup) genre alive for a long time. Among its selection of quality releases was a port of the Sega CD shmup Sol-Feace, itself a conversion of the Sharp X68000 original. Despite the name change to Sol-Deace and not having the bells and whistles of the CD version, the cart rendition is more than capable of standing on its own. Read the full review for more details.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I'll repost my pre-hack comments:

"Nice review! I've been playing this on Sega CD, and just beat it on Normal the other day. The mega-cheap boss in Stage 6 is frustrating enough on his own, but having to continue from Stage 5 makes it twice as obnoxious...

"I still think a lot of things in this game are inexcusably cheap, though. It just somehow has this "Screw you" quality that gets on my nerves."

Since writing the above, I've beaten Sol-Deace on both difficulty settings. Being able to continue from Stages 6-7 makes a gigantic difference.

Still haven't beaten Sol-Feace on Mania -- I came super-close a couple of times, but got killed by the final boss (not the actual final boss who puts up no fight whatsoever, but the one right before him), and decided that continuing to play the game wasn't improving my happiness quotient.

7/10 is fair. Its not a masterpiece but it's damn solid. Im not gonna pick apart all the flaws because I feel the positives outweight the negatives.

The more I think about this game (and its Sega CD twin), the more I think the right answer would've been to have the player continue from Stage 6 in both versions (when dying in Stages 5-7). Continuing from 7 makes it too easy; continuing from 5 makes it too frustrating.

Doing that would've helped a lot, maybe now reaching as high as 8/10 since the most annoying faults wouldn't matter as much (though I don't remember whether e.g. the disappearing bullets in Stage 5 happen in both versions, or just the CD version).

Also, this is sort of implicit in what I wrote above, but: the more shooters/shmups I play, the more I appreciate what Sol-Deace/-Feace does right.

P.S. Broken review link; here you go.

So this is the poor man's Sol-Feace? Well, I have to say I liked it. Sure, there's a bit of flicker, the backgrounds are on the simple side, I noticed one or two major bugs and our sprite is humongous and asking to be shot, but it moves fast, enemies are as impressive as in every Wolfteam game and the music may not be CD, but sure is rocking. Good shooter, indeed.

Thread Information