Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SpiderMan Maximum Carnage: Genesis vs. SNES

Banned by Administrators

Default SpiderMan Maximum Carnage: Genesis vs. SNES

I think I rented Genesis version when it came out, it was a red cart right?

Almost a hundred percent sure it was that one. As long as it was a red cart. I know DOOM had a red cart on SNES

Not sure about the genesis version being red or not, never played it, but I know the SNES version is red and the better version if i remember correctly. Great game. One of my fav beat em-ups

The special-needs snowman Raging in the Streets Olls's Avatar

I don't really like either, but the SNES version's sound and graphics are far superior.

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

Yes, originally the Genesis had a red cart as did the SNES. Later printings of it came on standard black cart.

This is by far one of my favourite games of all time, the fluid gameplay and massive amount of moves you get make it a pleasure to play. While both the SNES and Genesis versions are identical when it comes to design, you pretty much get the typical differences between the two versions due to hardware. The SNES version has slightly better shading and deeper sound while the Genesis version runs faster with less lag. For that reason I prefer the Genny version, the SNES one is epically slow compared to it. I used to think that it wouldn't make too much of a difference but one day I tried playing them both back to back, and on a good run I can beat the Sega version without losing a single life. The SNES version on the other hand I had trouble beating at all. The gameplay is just too clunky, it's like everything is moving under water, it's super frustrating to play it like that, especially when you've played the Genesis one. If you haven't, then chances are you won't care. The other big advantage of the Sega version is the 6-button controller, playing it with a SNES controller feels a bit awkward.

Either way though it's a great game. Some people don't like that it doesn't have 2 player mode, but I couldn't care less. I never cared much for 2 player simultaneous gameplay.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

The Mega Drive version is a dumbed down conversion from the SNES original which uses the piss-poor Sound Images music engine from Software Creations. No wonder why the SNES version is better.

That said, I like the game and have mostly played it on the Mega Drive.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

genesis version sucks because it's exactly the same as separation anxiety, only with the two player taken out. i haven't played the snes version but i can't imagine it's much different

Quote Originally Posted by djshok View Post
    I never cared much for 2 player simultaneous gameplay.
    ?? this is one of the biggest reasons i even play games haha

Maximum Carnage is a lot better than Separation Anxiety in my opinion. Better graphics and more varied levels and events, along with a better flow of the story.

Separation Anxiety, unfortunately, is very monotonous and repetitive in comparison, despite of the 2 players possibility.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snotmaw View Post
    genesis version sucks because it's exactly the same as separation anxiety, only with the two player taken out. i haven't played the snes version but i can't imagine it's much different

?? this is one of the biggest reasons i even play games haha

Meh, my friends and I would always take turns and alternate each level, even on 2p games.

As for Separation Anxiety, yeah that's the sequel to Max Carnage, and it sucks in comparison. They made the sprites smaller and opted for some truly hideous pre-rendered graphics over the nice comic book style drawn artwork of the first game. Also, even though you technically have all the same moves from the first game, most of them are useless because the game physics and sprite sizes are different. All the cool combos incorporating back-flips, jump-kicks, webs, shoulder checks and throws are now mostly useless and it plays like a brawler from 1990 - walk forward punch, punch, punch, next enemy, punch punch punch, repeat.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    Maximum Carnage is a lot better than Separation Anxiety in my opinion. Better graphics and more varied levels and events, along with a better flow of the story.

Separation Anxiety, unfortunately, is very monotonous and repetitive in comparison, despite of the 2 players possibility.
    Yes I agree. I enjoy Maximum Carnage a lot more. The only thing better about SA is that it has 2 players.

Super Sexy Sega Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Both games should have been better. Maximum Carnage would have been really good with 2 players. Separation Anxiety is just boring with worse graphics.

Banned by Administrators

Nintendo Rules!

Mister Pilgrim Master of Shinobi Cucollins12's Avatar

both versions are good but the snes one is superior
    too old for video games huh?

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

They originally intended the red cart for the Genny to be the "rare" special edition variety and ended-up hyping it to the point of overproduction. In the end, it was the only thing you would find in stores. The black cartridge version is now the rare version.

Banned by Administrators

Genesis version was red. I own it.

Anyways, I think the SNES version was better personally.
    Plus playing on a Genesis controller for that game was kind of hard.

Not really, as long as you have a 6-button pad.

Thread Information