Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Odyssey

Thumbs up Star Odyssey

Super Fighter Team returns with its third new release for the Genesis! Originally slated for publishing by Sage’s Creation in 1991, Star Odyssey disappeared for two decades. Its release marks the first Japanese Genesis game to be licensed for a modern release, so read our full review and see if it was worth the wait!

Remember: This thread is for discussion of the review ONLY. For everything else, please use the official thread in the Genesis Does! forum.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-08-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Banned by Administrators

Thanks for the review.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I agree about the music of early titles. I'm drawn to the style somehow. The fact that this was an early Genny title also makes all the difference in how important it is. It's like being able to read Children of Hurin way after Tolkien's death. It's the sort of treat I'll never tire of.

Voice of NeverNeverLand Master of Shinobi Waterfaller's Avatar

For what it's worth, the graphics looked fine in stills to ME

The graphics are very poor.

a.k.a. hombreimaginario Outrunner synapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Star Odyssey has some good writing and a good story so far, but the mundane (re: dreadfully boring) and unemotional music ruins any attachment I would otherwise have to the story. Just imagine how much worse your favorite movie would be if the music was completely inappropriate for the scene.
    As I mostly agree from what I've seen of Star Odissey so far, I really have to ask: WHY a score of 8/10 for Star Odyssey at Sega-16? So, according to this website, it's only 1 point less than Pier Solar (for God's sake), or what is worse, JUST AS GOOD AS ALADDIN????

Come on, guys. Please let's try to be fair. Sega-16 has become one of my favorite websites/communities for the last couple of years but I know you can provide a more unbiased review than that.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Gotta agree with Synapse here. We don't need more Super Thunder Blades on the site. Games should be given an objective score based on their good and bad points, especially when compared to other reviews. Subjectively swayed reviews and numbers should be saved for the community section of the review.

Exactly. I don't mean to give SO a score of 4/10, don't get me wrong, but it was a 1991 game, when we got Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Sonic, etc. Which means BOTH graphics and sound are quite poor even for that date. And honestly, I can't believe the gameplay, awesome as it may be, makes up for that in such a way that the game deserves the same score as Aladdin, "one of the finest platformers EVER" (quote from the review).

Also, is it as good as Legend of Wukong? Are both as good as Beggar Prince? Are these 3 RPGs as good as Aladdin, then? They all got the same score, come on...

Bite my shiny, metal ***! Hero of Algol retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Gotta agree with Synapse here.
    So, you have finally decided to buy and play the game ?
    The Mega Drive was far inferior to the NES in terms of diffusion rate and sales in the Japanese market, though there were ardent Sega users. But in the US and Europe, we knew Sega could challenge Nintendo. We aimed at dominating those markets, hiring experienced staff for our overseas department in Japan, and revitalising Sega of America and the ailing Virgin group in Europe.

Then we set about developing killer games.

- Hayao Nakayama, Mega Drive Collected Works (p. 17)

Master of Shinobi cheaterdragon1's Avatar

Gotta agree with Synapse here. We don't need more Super Thunder Blades on the site. Games should be given an objective score based on their good and bad points, especially when compared to other reviews. Subjectively swayed reviews and numbers should be saved for the community section of the review.
    Dude, the review scores have always been off. Pitfall the Mayan Adventure CD is ranked two points above Shining Force CD. WTF?
    Owner of the Nintendo 64 fansite Micro-64.
    Join us in our Facebook Group.

Quote Originally Posted by cheaterdragon1 View Post
    Dude, the review scores have always been off. Pitfall the Mayan Adventure CD is ranked two points above Shining Force CD. WTF?
    So? Can't I wish for Sega-16 to keep getting better and better? I think I only provided constructive criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by synapse View Post
    Also, is it as good as Legend of Wukong? Are both as good as Beggar Prince? Are these 3 RPGs as good as Aladdin, then? They all got the same score, come on...
    You sir, asked for my opinion! Here it comes!

Yes, Star Odyssey is definitely as good as Legend of Wukong, and it's actually much better. Legend of Wukong has a boring story that repeats itself over and over again. The difficulty curve goes from very hard to extremely easy (it should be the other way around). Graphics and sound are subpar. The same can be said about Star Odyssey's audiovisuals, but the story is soooo much better and the difficulty curve is not broken. It also has some nice sci-fi atmosphere, Wukong has no atmosphere at all.

Beggar Prince is slightly better than Star Odyssey. The graphics and sound are more varied and better, the gameplay is funnier and also more varied, and the battle system more original and the random encounters don't drive you insane. What brings Beggar Prince down are the bugs, but not as much as the random encounters or repetitive audiovisuals of Star Odyssey.

It's hard to compare a platform game to any of these three RPGs, but I'd definitely take Aladdin over Wukong any day, even though I'm not the biggest fan of that platformer.

I'd give Legend of Wukong 4/10, Star Odyssey 6/10 and Beggar Prince 7/10. Aladdin something along the latter two, I guess.

Thank you for reading up on my opinion, good sir!
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Zebbe's scores seem mostly fair from what I've played of the game so far, but I'd knock Beggar Prince way down. Brandon wasn't even willing to re-flash the EPROMS with the newer, less bug-riddled version for people who bought it. That may have been technically impossible since it's probably all done in China (lowest price wins, keep it up, America), but it still hacks me off that he didn't test the game for those things before its initial release. His playtesters suck. At least he learned from this grievous error, though. It's like Apple who recently released a shitty version of Final Cut Pro that clearly is not ready for release. Apple gave refunds and let people keep the program. I should stop here or I'll go into a huge anti-Apple rant.

Oh, and thanks Quick Sci Fi. I would have never have thought to go back to the space port.

That may have been technically impossible since it's probably all done in China (lowest price wins, keep it up, America), but it still hacks me off that he didn't test the game for those things before its initial release.
    I think he knew of those. Playing through Beggar Prince without encountering a single bug is like being a lady and going through Mecca in a bikini without being stoned. I think he wrote this on Wikipedia: "While Super Fighter Team had spent over a year working out the bugs left behind by C&E, it was simply not cost efficient to fix them all. "

His playtesters suck.
    Does he have any?

At least he learned from this grievous error, though.
    Two guys have written they lost their saves on Star Odyssey. I'm glad I beat the game before that happened to me. I've lost my saves on my newer copy of Beggar Prince (after I beat the game though).
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

As I mostly agree from what I've seen of Star Odissey so far, I really have to ask: WHY a score of 8/10 for Star Odyssey at Sega-16? So, according to this website, it's only 1 point less than Pier Solar (for God's sake), or what is worse, JUST AS GOOD AS ALADDIN????

Come on, guys. Please let's try to be fair. Sega-16 has become one of my favorite websites/communities for the last couple of years but I know you can provide a more unbiased review than that.
    Why are you comparing a score for a platform game to an RPG? What's your basis for comparison? They're two totally different types of games.

Games should be given an objective score based on their good and bad points, especially when compared to other reviews. Subjectively swayed reviews and numbers should be saved for the community section of the review.
    Please define "objective score" and tell me how someone is supposed to give it without injecting their opinion.

Exactly. I don't mean to give SO a score of 4/10, don't get me wrong, but it was a 1991 game, when we got Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Sonic, etc. Which means BOTH graphics and sound are quite poor even for that date. And honestly, I can't believe the gameplay, awesome as it may be, makes up for that in such a way that the game deserves the same score as Aladdin, "one of the finest platformers EVER" (quote from the review).
    Different types of games made by different developers... why would you assume they should all be the same, like they all rolled off the same assembly line? By that line of thinking, Phantasy Star IV came out a full 4 years after Sword of Vermilion, so why isn't its soundtrack a million times better?

Again, comparing RPGs to platformers is like saying that a television's quality depends on how it compares to the blender across the store.

Thread Information