Quantcast

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No more consoles for me...

Default No more consoles for me...

With word of the Wii U and Playstation 4 rumbling about, I've come to the conclusion that I'm getting out of the console game. Anyone else feel this way?

My main reasoning is that gaming really isn't progressing the way it has in the past. When video games were "born", they were so simplistic as to be almost laughable, but it was all new, which made it entertaining. And it was amazing to see what clever game play could be created on primitive systems like the Atari 2600. The 8 bit generation introduced graphics that were relatively detailed and the 16 bit generation refined that, allowing for better game play along the way.

Then the 3d shift came, with the 32 bit machines (and Nintendo's oddball N64). The graphics weren't great (this isn't in retrospect; I thought the graphics of this generation were weak even at the time), but the gameplay was all new, and much like the birth of the industry, that newness added to the appeal of the games. And again, developers were forced to be creative to get the most out of limited hardware. The Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation brought graphics into clear view, but it is here that gaming stagnated somewhat. Yes, there were great games, but much like Hollywood, gaming became very much about sequels, refining established paradigms, and big budget games that often took little risk with gameplay.

Now we're in the current generation, and I feel like the only real step forward is in the graphics department. And I've had enough. I like good graphics, but to me the game play's the thing. I'm a bit tired of playing the same games over and over again, the only substantive difference being the graphical changes. I credit Nintendo for trying to add new paradigms with the Wii, but to me that was ultimately a gimmick. The best games on the Wii relied on standard controller input, and most of them could have been done on the Gamecube.

I'm also tired of collecting. I had amassed more games than I could play. I have other things in life (like spending time with my daughter, getting outside once in a while, and unfortunately, working) that need tending and can't play games for hours and hours on end. So what's the point of collecting for so many systems?

So I sold off most of my systems, except the beloved Genesis. There's a ton of gaming to the Genesis, enough to last many years to come, especially given my limited gaming time and the wealth of the Genesis library (including replayability). I also find that the simplicity of 2d gaming (and the resultant creativity of developers to keep 2d gaming interesting) to appeal to me the most.

I have a PS3 as my entertainment center, and that provides enough gaming for my 3d/modern needs. If I feel like an fps, action/rpg, or driving game, or a little online play, this suits my needs. Since I'm more of a casual 3d gamer, I think the library of the PS3 will last me for many years to come, and I may even stop playing 3d games altogether. Right now, the only time I fire up the PS3 for gaming is to play something with my daughter (Lego Star Wars, anyone?).

So that's my rationale. I made a similar comment elsewhere, and QuickSciFi was curious as to my reason for getting off the console train. The game scene is indeed changing. Download seems to be the way of the future, and it already dominated handheld gaming. I've given up most of my portables for the iphone, since I always have it on me and the games are good enough for the quick fixes gaming on the go requires.

There are so many gaming avenues, console, computer, handheld consoles, phones, tablets, it's staggering. I'm trying to simplify and focus on those gaming experiences which provide me the most utility or enjoyment. So who else is tired of buying new consoles and playing sequels?

I can see where you are coming from. I feel very similar. When I first got my XBOX (that period) I was fairly heavily into gaming. Before that I had a Playstation, having a SMS2 prior to that. As a kid I spent most of my time playing outside, I didn't get the SMS2 until last few years of high school.

I got an XBOX360 (early after release) but it just didn't seem the same. It felt like XBOX games with slightly better graphics. Where as having the SMS2 then onto the Playstation was a huge leap, then the XBOX was a step up again.

I am mostly into modifying consoles, saying "that's lovely" then putting it onto the shelf.

I did an unusual thing today I spent about 2 hrs playing a few games on my mega CD and I quite enjoyed it.

However I am getting Space Marine for my PS3.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I'll be buying a Wii U because of Pikmin 3. How devilish of Nintendo to use it to push their newest console... How weird not having a new Pikmin on the Wii. What's held them up for 6 years and counting? I'll also get a 3DS because of the awesome line-up.

Outside of that, I don't care for the PS3 and I certainly don't care any more about a PS4. I was hoping there would be no PS4 (just a Dreamcast 2! ). The 360 is pretty good, but until there's some good games on that future console, I won't bother to pick one up. At this moment there's still decent games to be had on 360.

Outrunner

I didn't buy any of this generation's consoles. I probably won't buy a 360 or PS3 for a very long time, and there are several things I'd like to get first before buying a Wii. I have to agree with op: this stuff is just by and large not as good as yesteryear. However, I wouldn't be too keen to put on my rosy-tinted glasses when looking at the older systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch
    Yes, there were great games, but much like Hollywood, gaming became very much about sequels, refining established paradigms, and big budget games that often took little risk with gameplay.
    (emphasis mine)
    The gaming industry has long been about sequels. Phantasy Star, Shining, Sonic, Mario, Zelda, sequel after sequel after sequel. I don't have a problem with sequels if I want more of a certain type of game, so long as they don't just become money-makers with no thought into the game itself like every Sonic game released after the 16-bit era.

not a real fan Raging in the Streets old man's Avatar

I quit last generation. Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii (although what I played of Mario Galaxy 2 was pretty slick awesome) mean nothing to me.

Road Rasher

I have no qualms with the modern generation of consoles, there is still a lot of games I would love to try out, be it new IPs, sequels or remakes.
    But I retro game for a reason, the joy of collecting, and also the hopes of finding some different game experiences, ones off the beaten track.
    But primarily I also find games a generation ago are much more pick and play in a lot of ways, with the exceptions probably being RPG's. There is a lot more immediate satisfaction I find in a lot of older titles. But that doesn't mean that this generations games aren't any less fun I just find they require a larger investment of time. Time I don't have.

I also find it strangely ironic that the games of yesteryear are actually more accessible in some ways for casual gamers than the current generations expulsion of menus, obtuse control schemes and complex game mechanics etc. Shovelware Wii fills that gap today but without any of the challenge or base ingenuity.
    Sega always feels to me to be the apex of accessibility because of there arcade heritage, they know exactly the buttons to push for immediate satisfaction, primarily because there where after your credits! That design philosophy filtered to a lot of there 1st party console stuff that I enjoy sharing with friends.

Of course thats not say there aren't rock hard unbalanced titles, lets remove thoose rose-tinted specs, but there is still a lot of old accessible gear out there.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

I think its cause of your love for your daughter, your loosing touch with entertainment in games for yourself and starting to focus more on giving a good life to your girl with food water shelter and you. I see it as a natural thing to get off the party bus and starting to care for those around you.

I'm young and I LOVE my consoles, and still plan on collecting the gems I've have yet to discover by myself.

I have a wii but haven't used it in a long time since it doesn't get my attention as my 16 bit consoles give me so i might sell it later on.

I well be getting a ps3 soon to see what online games I been missing and being released, but right now, I CAN'T WAIT TILL I GET A PC ENGINE AND SEE WHAT SHMUPS ON ITS CD ADD-ON I'VE BEEN MISSING
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I'm done as of the Xbox 360. I've been griping about games stagnating since the PS2 days and it has turned out exactly as I predicted. Sequels squashed all attempts at new games that generation, and now nobody can make new games because marketing departments won't take the chance on them. I blame Sony and EA for creating this problem. Once these two megalomaniac anti-competitive corporations started practicing it, retailers and the media were bound to follow, and that meant that any company that wanted their game in the "top 10" or "AAA" status needed to farm out the same type of products. Then there is the issue with controller lag that the previous two generations introduced to gaming in order to get all of their cinematics in place.

I'll stick to my late 80s and 90s consoles, and HTPC, from here on out. At least there I'm still finding games I've never played before. I don't want 3D movies/television/games anyway and I think tablets are about the must dumbed down electronic device I have ever seen.

I've played mostly on the PC since the late 90's. I still liked consoles for the reason that they offered a genuinely different experience, thanks to the Japanese dominating that market. But since the 360, western former-PC devs shifted focus and pushed out the Japanese from that market. Now consoles mostly offer worse, watered down experiences of what I used to play on the PC a decade ago.

You can blame publishers all you want for the regressive state these "AAA" games are in today, but they're only doing it because the general gaming audience keeps eating it up.

Nameless One

My latest systems are the... game boy micro (which I play the most with... mainly 16-bits era remake games lol) and the xbox360 which I bought only to play Cave shooters and street fighter IV (and of course, retro games on the xbla)
    I've bought a couple of "next gen" games for the 360, but I never get the time to play them more than one or two hours. Or maybe it's just that they bore me in one or two hours...
    Guardiana, the Megadrive Musem.
    Come and join us at http://www.guardiana.net !

Quote Originally Posted by opwuaioc View Post
    I didn't buy any of this generation's consoles. I probably won't buy a 360 or PS3 for a very long time, and there are several things I'd like to get first before buying a Wii. I have to agree with op: this stuff is just by and large not as good as yesteryear. However, I wouldn't be too keen to put on my rosy-tinted glasses when looking at the older systems.
    How can you make this assertion without having owned any consoles from this gen?

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    How can you make this assertion without having owned any consoles from this gen?
    Just because I haven't owned the consoles doesn't mean that I haven't played a wide variety of games on them.

i'll probably buy one of the newer consoles so i can play a few new games that seem interesting to me. but i'm at the point, i dont care too much anymore. it's not my generation and there's many older titles i've yet to play.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

@Sketch:

Great elaboration there, brotherman. And you nailed it on the head here and in your last PM: "For Better or Worse" Downloadable content is the future of gaming. And might I even add Streamable content to that. It's sad in many ways. It's a big possibility, as we have discussed, that the next gen of consoles might be the last. And if it's not the last, it shall definitely be the last for 'dedicated' consoles (and if so, certainly for hard copy gaming media).

I'm with you at the 95th percentile. The other 5% I reserve for those fresh and new 'butter titles' (must be hard copy, of course) that are bound to define the next gen (hopefully). The thing is, there are hundreds of genny games I own that I haven't even beaten yet. Add to that hundreds more for other platforms I already own as well. And then there's the issue of this 7th gen of games I haven't even tapped into yet (PS3 or 360). I just don't see myself entering the 8th with such haste.

The way i see it, I bought my Wii five years after it's release, and I only own 7 games and only want about 12 in total for the whole library. Beyond those 12 games, the Wii's library is just a concoction of shovelware I shall never stop running away from. As for the PS3 and 360, I very much want to one day own them, if anything to play The Assassin's Creed butter titles and other such games. I'm not much for FPSs, but I'd love a 360 to get into the hard copy shmup craze. And as for the PS3 exclussives, Uncharted and God of War 3 are at the top of my list. So, you see, even though I want to play all these newer (7th gen) titles, I haven't even yet tapped into the HD era. I've yet to purchase my first HD TV. It's certainly not what is stopping me from getting a PS3 or 360, but it goes to show just how much more media I've yet to enjoy on my CRT.

And that is why I love technology. What is now $10,000 shall be $1000 in ten years, $250 in 15 (LCD's anyone ). So, for those 10 or 15 overpriced games I may want for the current generation, there are about 2000 or 3000 more I want to play for previous gen consoles that are but a minute fraction of the original cost and I could buy used or sealed. It's sad that this is the exact consumer mentality that has driven the industry to downloadable/streamable content. It's a vicious cycle, I tell ya. Already we saw the turnover from cartridge format to CDs. DLC will soon take over, and not long after that, the exclussivity of streamable content alone . Perhaps this will strengthen our ties to the past, but it shall be a sad day indeed when it comes. As for me, I won't mind rummaging through piles of electronics at GoodWill 15 or 20 years down the line to play my first 8th gen game. By then, I hope I'd've at least played half my own library, and the Wii U, PS4, 720 shall be $10 complete with all the hookups.

I skipped this current generation, mostly for the reasons Sketch detailed.
    I'm just not interested in the gaming software companies are producing.
    Playstation 1&2, Saturn, Dreamcast, and 8 and 16-bit consoles offer games that are much more accessible (pick-up and play) and more fun than what is being developed and sold to the mass market these days.

The days of pure reflex arcade gaming are long gone. And anything released today that requires a tutorial or in depth instructions to operate the multitude of buttons on the controller just doesn't interest me nor do I have the time for.

Thread Information