Quantcast

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: No more consoles for me...

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

maybe its not the games of today but us for that matter, I mean, can you see kids from 20 years later saying things like "man, they don't make consoles like the PS3 anymore"
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by opwuaioc View Post
    Just because I haven't owned the consoles doesn't mean that I haven't played a wide variety of games on them.
    Two things:

1.) Can you get the same experience playing a game at a friends house or at a Target, Gamestop, etc.., that you would if you owned a particular system and used the system more often? I believe the answer is no. Think of it as renting a car. Own the car for a year or rent the same car every now and again and your opinions most likely will vary.

2.) I'd have to question how wide of a variety you actually played because this generation has given us some great consoles and well as games which can not be ignored. Off the top of my head I can't think of as many great games from the 80's and 90's as I can from this decade. Come to think of it, I think a truly great game is hard to find. They are out there but in low numbers.

I also don't own a current gen console. The last one I purchased was a Wii and I sold it shortly thereafter because I didn't really enjoy playing the games for it. I find I spend more time playing "current gen" games on my PC it at all. I spend most of the time playing Genesis and Commodore 64 games. It all comes down to the games, not the hardware in the end. Well crappy Sony controllers are also part of it, but that's a different thread. XD

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pro21xx View Post
    maybe its not the games of today but us for that matter, I mean, can you see kids from 20 years later saying things like "man, they don't make consoles like the PS3 anymore"
    Nope, because today the companies want to sell you the same game on newer hardware, every year. Kids today will be playing the 100th iteration of their favorite PS3 games, or something else entirely, and they'll never look back. Honestly, I don't even see the point of collecting current gen games, I've seen every one of their play styles in previous generations and I like the originals better.

Beat Em Ups Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

I have been out of the console game for a long time (I would consider my self a sports only current gen gamer since 1999) <-- I retired from that since Maddden kept sucking on PS3 and Xbox 360. My last hurrah was during 97/98 when Golden Eye and Star Fox 64 where new and the awesome N64 wrestling games.

Had an original Xbox- Played Halo for a couple mins, Played Madden, NHL, NBA and MLB for days at a time (I used to go home from school and play a few hours of Madden every night for like 5 years)

Then I got an X-Box 360 and PS3- (I have played Final Fight Double Impact and Streets Fighter 2 HD Remix and Sonic's ultimate Gebesis collection) Just sold the PS3 and the Xbox 360 will collect dust

Quote Originally Posted by opwuaioc View Post
    The gaming industry has long been about sequels. Phantasy Star, Shining, Sonic, Mario, Zelda, sequel after sequel after sequel. I don't have a problem with sequels if I want more of a certain type of game, so long as they don't just become money-makers with no thought into the game itself like every Sonic game released after the 16-bit era.
    This is true; I just feel as if it's getting worse (companies are more and more likely to release a sequel and less and less likely to introduce a new IP). This could just be perception. What is true, however, is that we've now been playing sequels of games across numerous consoles. This is especially true on the Playstation. I mean, the original Need for Speed is ancient, and sequels for that game are still being cranked out at record pace.

Quote Originally Posted by TVC 15 View Post
    I also find it strangely ironic that the games of yesteryear are actually more accessible in some ways for casual gamers than the current generations expulsion of menus, obtuse control schemes and complex game mechanics etc. Shovelware Wii fills that gap today but without any of the challenge or base ingenuity.
    Sega always feels to me to be the apex of accessibility because of there arcade heritage, they know exactly the buttons to push for immediate satisfaction, primarily because there where after your credits! That design philosophy filtered to a lot of there 1st party console stuff that I enjoy sharing with friends.
    I do feel like 16-bit era had very accessible games, which also fits in with the fact that I have less time to play games. I can sit down to a simple shmup for a bit before bed and not have to hassle with load times, cinemas, character and controller setup, etc. Pick-up-and-play was much more the case for these games.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro21xx View Post
    I think its cause of your love for your daughter, your loosing touch with entertainment in games for yourself and starting to focus more on giving a good life to your girl with food water shelter and you. I see it as a natural thing to get off the party bus and starting to care for those around you.

I'm young and I LOVE my consoles, and still plan on collecting the gems I've have yet to discover by myself.

I have a wii but haven't used it in a long time since it doesn't get my attention as my 16 bit consoles give me so i might sell it later on.

I well be getting a ps3 soon to see what online games I been missing and being released, but right now, I CAN'T WAIT TILL I GET A PC ENGINE AND SEE WHAT SHMUPS ON ITS CD ADD-ON I'VE BEEN MISSING
    Definitely having kids shifts your priorities. I'm also older than the average Sega-16'er, and at my stage in life, I may be moving away from gaming in general. I don't think I will ever stop gaming, but I find that I don't do a lot of activities I used to. I never watch tv any more, for example, and don't watch movies as often as I used to. Perhaps I've realized one needs to stop and smell the roses (or get outside and smell the roses) before it gets to late. Perhaps when I get to retirement age, I will drag out my Genesis and play games like it's 1999

You definitely have a lot of good classic gaming to discover. The Turbografx is an awesome system.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberguile View Post
    My latest systems are the... game boy micro (which I play the most with... mainly 16-bits era remake games lol) and the xbox360 which I bought only to play Cave shooters and street fighter IV (and of course, retro games on the xbla)
    I've bought a couple of "next gen" games for the 360, but I never get the time to play them more than one or two hours. Or maybe it's just that they bore me in one or two hours...
    The Gameboy Advance line is one of my favorite handhelds. I was a bit sad to sell this stuff off, but I never played any of my dedicated handhelds any more since I have my iphone and consequently a ton of games on me at all times.

Megadrive Maniac Outrunner Crackdown's Avatar

The last new console I bought was a Sega Saturn

Enough said.
    To be this good takes AGES, to be this good takes SEGA!

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    @Sketch:

Great elaboration there, brotherman. And you nailed it on the head here and in your last PM: "For Better or Worse" Downloadable content is the future of gaming. And might I even add Streamable content to that. It's sad in many ways. It's a big possibility, as we have discussed, that the next gen of consoles might be the last. And if it's not the last, it shall definitely be the last for 'dedicated' consoles (and if so, certainly for hard copy gaming media).

I'm with you at the 95th percentile. The other 5% I reserve for those fresh and new 'butter titles' (must be hard copy, of course) that are bound to define the next gen (hopefully). The thing is, there are hundreds of genny games I own that I haven't even beaten yet. Add to that hundreds more for other platforms I already own as well. And then there's the issue of this 7th gen of games I haven't even tapped into yet (PS3 or 360). I just don't see myself entering the 8th with such haste.

The way i see it, I bought my Wii five years after it's release, and I only own 7 games and only want about 12 in total for the whole library. Beyond those 12 games, the Wii's library is just a concoction of shovelware I shall never stop running away from. As for the PS3 and 360, I very much want to one day own them, if anything to play The Assassin's Creed butter titles and other such games. I'm not much for FPSs, but I'd love a 360 to get into the hard copy shmup craze. And as for the PS3 exclussives, Uncharted and God of War 3 are at the top of my list. So, you see, even though I want to play all these newer (7th gen) titles, I haven't even yet tapped into the HD era. I've yet to purchase my first HD TV. It's certainly not what is stopping me from getting a PS3 or 360, but it goes to show just how much more media I've yet to enjoy on my CRT.

And that is why I love technology. What is now $10,000 shall be $1000 in ten years, $250 in 15 (LCD's anyone ). So, for those 10 or 15 overpriced games I may want for the current generation, there are about 2000 or 3000 more I want to play for previous gen consoles that are but a minute fraction of the original cost and I could buy used or sealed. It's sad that this is the exact consumer mentality that has driven the industry to downloadable/streamable content. It's a vicious cycle, I tell ya. Already we saw the turnover from cartridge format to CDs. DLC will soon take over, and not long after that, the exclussivity of streamable content alone . Perhaps this will strengthen our ties to the past, but it shall be a sad day indeed when it comes. As for me, I won't mind rummaging through piles of electronics at GoodWill 15 or 20 years down the line to play my first 8th gen game. By then, I hope I'd've at least played half my own library, and the Wii U, PS4, 720 shall be $10 complete with all the hookups.
    Heh; I'm afraid the Goodwill scene for gaming has been slowly dying over the last decade, partly due to eBay, and going forward, due to the fact that DLC will start ruling. 20 years from now, I don't think there will be much left at Goodwills

I've always been the type to wait late in a console's lifecycle or after the lifecycle to pick it up. However, I don't think I'll be picking up a PS4 even after the PS5 comes out (or a Xbox 720, or whatever). I may be done with consoles permanently. I guess time will tell.

For me, the last exciting console was the Dreamcast. I loved that console, and the games' look and feel blew me away. The first time I saw Soul Calibur running on a DC, I almost passed out I played that console to death, but ultiimately had my fill of the small but great library.

There's something about 2d games that seems to make them more replayable. I can't explain why. I think the Genesis will be the only console I hold onto (although I have a Lynx that will also never leave). I have occasionally pondered going the emulation route, but I do like playing on original hardware and do enjoy collecting for the Genesis.

not a real fan Raging in the Streets old man's Avatar

I remember when a friend of mine bought a PS3. He got three games with it and every time they put a new game in it had to update for 15 - 30 minutes. I think out of two hours he said he had played for fifteen minutes. Of course once the system had finished getting up to date, I'm sure he didn't have as much trouble any more, but I still think it's a funny story.

Rogue Master of Shinobi Pulstar's Avatar

I won't lie, I enjoyed the 360, but the PS3 pulled a fast one and got all the better exclusives, albeit not as drastically as the PS2 did. However that being said my laptop has a mid-range GPU, so I play on it now.. The 360 was some sort of PC replacement for me, and it served its purpose. Its exclusives are going to be few and far between, ruling out its successor in my mind. As for PS4 and Wii UUU can't bother really...

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Zz Badnusty View Post
    I skipped this current generation, mostly for the reasons Sketch detailed.
    I'm just not interested in the gaming software companies are producing.
    Playstation 1&2, Saturn, Dreamcast, and 8 and 16-bit consoles offer games that are much more accessible (pick-up and play) and more fun than what is being developed and sold to the mass market these days.

The days of pure reflex arcade gaming are long gone. And anything released today that requires a tutorial or in depth instructions to operate the multitude of buttons on the controller just doesn't interest me nor do I have the time for.
    Exactly what I think... Since the second generation of Playstation 1 games the things gone downhill in terms of quality and fun (and keep going down faster and faster).
    I can't stand PS2 and post-PS2 games... Some "good" collections and (re)compilations are exceptions...
    Pure garbage is what the game industry is releasing nowadays IMO.
    I'll keep spending my money with old good stuff.
    Last edited by Barone; 07-09-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    1.) Can you get the same experience playing a game at a friends house or at a Target, Gamestop, etc.., that you would if you owned a particular system and used the system more often? I believe the answer is no. Think of it as renting a car. Own the car for a year or rent the same car every now and again and your opinions most likely will vary.
    I didn't need more than 10 minutes to realize how awesome Street Fighter II was when it came out. Street Fighter IV was good, but it didn't have nearly the same effect, and I played it for a good bit. There are some games from this gen that I thoroughly enjoyed, but overall many of the FPSs feel stale and boring. And that's 90% of the mainstream market right now.

2.) I'd have to question how wide of a variety you actually played because this generation has given us some great consoles and well as games which can not be ignored. Off the top of my head I can't think of as many great games from the 80's and 90's as I can from this decade. Come to think of it, I think a truly great game is hard to find. They are out there but in low numbers.
    I vehemently disagree. I've noticed since the SNES that the truly great games have becoming less frequent, not more. This is personal opinion.

Call of Duty Black Ops = Everything that's wrong with the current generation.
    Metal Gear Solid 4 too, although that one shows glimpses of a game at times that's actually good.

Master of Shinobi

Many of the games that are labeled as "casual", are throwbacks to the shallow, twitch game play of the good old days. You know, back before regenerating health and check points. I'll take Ghost Squad over Battlefield 2 any day.

Im out of the console game. The only current gen system I'd even consider getting is a 3DS. Basically age is a factor as Im not in my 20's anymore and today's gaming reminds me very little of yesteryear's gaming. Too much empahsis on fps's/American style games, online play, multiplayer, dlc, motion controls. I'm too old to care about that stuff since games today take up too much time and effort since they are so involved.

Thread Information