Quantcast

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: No more consoles for me...

I have a 360 and a Wii and they get played quite a bit. Though most of the games I buy for those consoles are made by Sega, Capcom, Konami, and Nintendo with a handful of games from Square Enix, Treasure, and some of the have to own exclusives. The 360 I can see lasting for a bit more time as while it does have a lot of PC ports, it also has it's own exclusives that define it's style and personality. Same goes for the Wii and soon the Wii U. The exclusives on those systems offer games I can't really get or enjoy as well on my PC.

PS3, and if there truly is a PS4, I have no desire to own. None of it's exclusives interest me in the slightest bit. It seems like it's just trying to copy of the style of the other two consoles that it's lost it's own sense of purpose and uniqueness.
    Last edited by TrekkiesUnite118; 07-10-2011 at 01:28 AM.

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TVC 15 View Post
    the current generations expulsion of menus, obtuse control schemes and complex game mechanics etc..
    Excellent post overall, and this in especial. Let me just tack on the problem of perpetual instruction = every bloody time you pick up a game it forcefeeds you the same shit you probably knew before you even bought the system "Use the L stick to move...Press R2 to strafe...Tap Up not to die". And the insufferable save menus--PS2, I'm glaring at you--why can't it just save instead of asking me thrice? The PS2 also can never switch betwixt memory card slots (so why have 2?), and it along with the DC and probably all their successor refuse to load the game if a controller's not inserted (read: the cheap piece of shit is permanently loose) or it can't find the auto-load save-file. And why can't it find it? Because it's in the other slot where I had to switch it to load the previous game. Plus saving is slow and dangerous; don't move or your memory card will break. That, apart from its controllers, was the one hardware advantage the Saturn owned over the PS, instantaneous saving.
    Yes, the newer the games, the worse they get. I have a PS2, and there are definitely worthwhile games even apart from Sega Ages, but finding great titles is like searching for a contact lens in a jar of marbles. And each costs at least twice what any of us would pay for the console--Espgaluda, DoDonpachi Daioujou, Suggoi, Amayama...
    I'm still in the console game though. After a PS3 that comes with Shikigami no Shiro 3 and Espgaluda 2 for the price of a bag of groceries. Might be able to swing a 360 for $50, but Mushihimesama Futari comes triple. Then there's the Wii. If I get every game I ever want for it QuickSciFi and I can rub our collections together and make an even two dozen.
    Then again, I'd rather round out my Saturn collection. And the PS still has 1300 games I've yet to beat.
    But yeah, I still am in the console game. I'm chasing that opium dream the Duo, and my current Genesis is on the fritz.
    Last edited by StarMist; 07-11-2011 at 03:45 PM.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post
    This is true; I just feel as if it's getting worse (companies are more and more likely to release a sequel and less and less likely to introduce a new IP). This could just be perception.
    It really isn't that much different from earlier generations. The 8-bit and 16-bit systems were overloaded with platformers and shooters, yet we found unique games to play.

This generation, we've had the introduction of new gaming properties in Bioshock, Mass Effect, inFAMOUS, Little Big Planet, Uncharted, Fallout 3 (pretty much a like GTA 3 was to GTA), Red Dead Redemption, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Demon's Souls, DIRT and Heavy Rain.

I do feel like 16-bit era had very accessible games, which also fits in with the fact that I have less time to play games. I can sit down to a simple shmup for a bit before bed and not have to hassle with load times, cinemas, character and controller setup, etc. Pick-up-and-play was much more the case for these games.
    Unfortunatly, most of the current games that are very accessible, are through DLC. Pac-Man C.E, Pinball FX & FX2, Geometry Wars: Evolved, Super Stardust, Shatter, Galaga: Legions and Everyday Shooter are excellent pickup and play titles. What's really cool about these games, is that you can compare and compete with your friends scores.

Definitely having kids shifts your priorities. I'm also older than the average Sega-16'er, and at my stage in life, I may be moving away from gaming in general. I don't think I will ever stop gaming, but I find that I don't do a lot of activities I used to. I never watch tv any more, for example, and don't watch movies as often as I used to. Perhaps I've realized one needs to stop and smell the roses (or get outside and smell the roses) before it gets to late. Perhaps when I get to retirement age, I will drag out my Genesis and play games like it's 1999
    I'm the same age as you. Yeah, between work and your household duties, free time is not a huge luxury. Like you, I don't watch a lot of television, but it seems that with the way the internet and other activities consume my time, television almost seems like an unnecessary distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    I have a 360 and a Wii and they get played quite a bit. Though most of the games I buy for those consoles are made by Sega, Capcom, Konami, and Nintendo with a handful of games from Square Enix, Treasure, and some of the have to own exclusives. The 360 I can see lasting for a bit more time as while it does have a lot of PC ports, it also has it's own exclusives that define it's style and personality. Same goes for the Wii and soon the Wii U. The exclusives on those systems offer games I can't really get or enjoy as well on my PC.

PS3, and if there truly is a PS4, I have no desire for either. None of it's exclusives interest me in the slightest bit. It seems like it's just trying to copy of the style of the other two consoles that it's lost it's lost it's own sense of purpose and uniqueness.
    The PS3 is different for me. I like the option of Blu-Ray, since every television in my house is HD. There's also exclusives like Uncharted, Heavy Rain, inFAMOUS, Valkyria Chronicles, Super Stardust and Demon's Souls.

The Wii is a hard sell for me though. I'm interested in Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and a few of the Sega Virtual console games, but the overall library looks pretty silly.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post

The PS3 is different for me. I like the option of Blu-Ray, since every television in my house is HD. There's also exclusives like Uncharted, Heavy Rain, inFAMOUS, Valkyria Chronicles, Super Stardust and Demon's Souls.

The Wii is a hard sell for me though. I'm interested in Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and a few of the Sega Virtual console games, but the overall library looks pretty silly.
    Valkyria Chronicles is the only PS3 exclusive that looks interesting for me. And I'm not about to spend $400 for one game.

As for the Wii, I do admit a lot of it's titles are crappy shovelware, but there are some great games to own for the system. Some I personally own that I would recommend are as follows:

Metroid Prime 3/Metroid Prime Trilogy
    Metroid: Other M
    Sonic Colors
    Tatsunoko vs Capcom
    Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
    Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles/Darkside Chronicles
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Zelda Twilight Princess
    Batallion Wars 2

and obviously, Sin and Punishment Star Successor:

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Valkyria Chronicles is the only PS3 exclusive that looks interesting for me. And I'm not about to spend $400 for one game.
    How are you spending $400?

As for the Wii, I do admit a lot of it's titles are crappy shovelware, but there are some great games to own for the system. Some I personally own that I would recommend are as follows:

Metroid Prime 3/Metroid Prime Trilogy
    Metroid: Other M
    Sonic Colors
    Tatsunoko vs Capcom
    Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
    Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles/Darkside Chronicles
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Zelda Twilight Princess
    Batallion Wars 2
    Does the Wii really offer a better version of RE4?

I already have Twilight Princess on the Gamecube, and Batallion Wars on the GC wasn't all that great. What is so great about Batallion Wars 2 on the Wii?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    How are you spending $400?
    PS3 console is $299, game could be $20-30

Taxes could push it up to close to $400 depending where you live. Hopefully the rumors of a price drop are true.

Banned by Administrators

the PS2/GC/Xbox generation killed gaming to me. It was so bland and sequal orianted. Mostly with sequals I felt where worse. There are some gems but over all I've never been more disspointed with a system than I was the ps2. Im suprisingly a lot more happy with current gen than the last.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Duster View Post
    PS3 console is $299, game could be $20-30

Taxes could push it up to close to $400 depending where you live. Hopefully the rumors of a price drop are true.
    You can get a used PS3 slim for around $200.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Most of the games on my 360 are retro; very few are new. I'll still play new games, but to say it's the same kind of experience I had in my youth; no it isn't.

@gamevet: RE4 Wii has all the exclusive extras from the PS2 version and an new mouse-like combat control scheme.

Click image above for my Youtube channel.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post

@gamevet: RE4 Wii has all the exclusive extras from the PS2 version and an new mouse-like combat control scheme.
    It would be cool if they have the option to play the game with a controller, over the Nunchuck.

Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    Off the top of my head I can't think of as many great games from the 80's and 90's as I can from this decade. Come to think of it, I think a truly great game is hard to find. They are out there but in low numbers.
    BAN

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I skipped after the PS2. I saw a nomad on eBay about 2007 and became obsessed with MegaDrive, CD and 32X games after then (I never had the last two systems). I just got bored of wandering around San Andreas collecting meaningless items just so I could say I'd done the game 100%. I then dusted off the Saturn and got it modded up, and with these systems I get the most fun, the PS2 doesn't get much of a look in but it's there if I want it. I agree with much of what's been said really, most new games are quite dull unless you have hours and hours to spend on them, quick fixes are where it's at and 16bit stuff has just the rifght balance of realism to non realism for me.

Last I checked prices on a PS3 it was $400. $300 is still a bit too much for one game in my opinion. And if I'm going to buy a used PS3 it's going to be a 60GB one with PS2 compatibility. And those are only going up in price.

RE4 is better on the Wii. It has the bonus content of the PS2 version, the superior graphics of the Gamecube version, and it controls perfectly with the Wii controller. It's one of the games that actually uses the Wii Remote well. But if you really don't like that you can always use a Gamecube Controller. I really don't get why people whine about Wii Controls. Most of hte good games use it well but almost every game I've tried almost always has the option to use a Gamecube controller. If you really hate the Wii Remote just plug in a Gamecube Controller.

Twilight Princess Plays pretty well on the Wii, but if you have it on Gamecube I can understand not wanting to buy it again. But there is Skyward Sword coming out.

And for me I liked the first Batallion Wars, and I am pretty sure the Wii Sequel has online multiplayer.

This gamer is out of the consoles of this and future generations, unless something really neat comes out, and the gaming news does not show any of that.

With DLC I am going classic and PC. I just got Steam and also signed up with Gamers Gate. Both PC "platforms" I guess you could say. It's either on a cart or oldie disk or downloaded.

Classic forever, but the newest consoles I intend to have (unless someone gives it to me) are the Xbox and GCN.

I haven't owned the newest ones, but I used to have a game shop that did repairs. I have never seen such a collection of IDIOT problems in my life. Aside from disk drives going out, happens to the best of consoles, you have the RROD, YLOD, Wii-bricking, PSP-bricking, stolen account info, stuck games (that is almost a death sentence for a new system), cables that are damned expensive going bad, and a host of other heating and account-related problems.

<sigh> I miss when it was the cart connector, broken port connectors, jacked up RF jacks, etc.

Yep, going PC and Classic gaming. Staying there.
    I'm not gonna go get humped by a giant red ape in space.
    -Carl

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

I haven't bothered to upgrade beyond my PS2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Thread Information