Quantcast

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: No more consoles for me...

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

I'm pretty much done with modern stuff in general, both console and PC gaming. There's not a whole lot out there that interests me and the way certain publishers are acting have put me off modern gaming. Plus, there's still a ton of classic games I have yet to play so I don't think I'll run out of old stuff to play.

I really have no reason(or money) to buy a new console. I still have tons of 16/32 bit games to play, especially fighting/rpg games!

For what it's worth, I feel like posting quickly:

I really wanted to resist getting into this generation. After seeing the 360, I thought "what's the difference from what we've got now?" More graphical detail, and that's about it. Since I had disposable income at the time, I picked up a PS3 since it was backwards compatible with the PS1, PS2 and it was region free. I caved on the Wii when my significant other wanted one. The games I've enjoyed the most have been western-style RPGs (Oblivion, Fallout 3, etc.), arcade style games, and HD remakes and sequels. Well, the RPGs are also available on PC, the arcade style games I'm thinking of are games like Wipeout HD, Ridge Racer 7, Sega Rally Revo, Virtua Fighter 5, Tekken 6, Super Stardust HD, etc. The HD remakes and sequels are mostly games I own anyway (Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, Turtles in Time, Final Fight, etc.) and of course stuff like the Mario games and Sonic games (good or not!).

Long story short, there is NOTHING available this generation that I don't already have from previous generations. Yeah, the Super Mario Galaxies are awesome... but they are just refinements of previous games. My most played game this gen is... Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

Even last gen, the games I play the most are the JPN Sega Ages remakes on the PS2, shoot 'em ups, and some arcade style games like Outrun 2 and Panzar Dragoon Orta.

IF the PS4 turns out to be an amazing media center and 100% backwards compatible with the PS1, PS2 and PS3 (without removing the feature!!!), I might consider it for playing past gen games on and media uses. The only way I'd be getting a Wii U is if I can't help myself when a main Mario game comes out. I suspect I won't mind missing out.

Retro gaming for me.....

Requiescat in Pace Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    I'm pretty much done with modern stuff in general, both console and PC gaming. There's not a whole lot out there that interests me and the way certain publishers are acting have put me off modern gaming. Plus, there's still a ton of classic games I have yet to play so I don't think I'll run out of old stuff to play.
    Let me re-pique your interest:

This is the only reason I'm going to stay with modern games! That, and the Dreamcast 2.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

It looks pretty amazing on the 360. I'd like to know if the PC version is going to take advantage of DX11, and see more gameplay video of that version.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by NavesRegge View Post
    Let me re-pique your interest:

Nope.

lol...I haven't bought a new system since Ps2.

Drawing maniac! Master of Shinobi FlackoWeasel's Avatar

I have felt similar way, but it's not because of the consoles. It's because of the goddamn "always online" DLC and forced shit what kills the gaming for me. I really thought the feeling I feel is wrong but lately I have felt like this many times now. It pisses me off they always force you do do things to play and also gaming seems xtremly difficult, even for my parents :/. I have to teach my dad how to turn on F1 2010 so he can play few races. Gaming used to be so easy, just plug cartridge in and it works. Now you have to do million things first to play.

I really don't like the forced updates...only way to remove it is to take away the net cable. That's how I was able to play LBP. I heard ubisoft makes game so it stays 24/7 online, otherwise you can't play it and it wont save your game. It really makes me sad that people only care for their goddamn money and not for customers.

Pirate people get games which arent as fucked up as retail ones.

Shame if they want to kill gaming this way....and to me IT FEELS like its dieing.

Nutty Female Gamer, So Nutty, So Crazy

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Wanted to play some Mortal Kombat 9 yesterday, fucking game locked up twice because of the CHECKING ONLINE thing.

I miss the days where "Press Start" actually meant i would press start and then could PLAY THE FUCKING GAME.

Seriously i was sitting here being like start.. start.. FUCKING START... ... press start? i just did!

... why am i looking at this screen? why won't it start already?

Road Rasher

I seriously bought a PS3 just so I can use it for emulators. That way I can play whatever older games I want via HDMI/component and it looks great on any HD TV. I still purchase older games, and very rarely a "current" gen game. The only actual PS3 games I own are God of War 3 and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, both of which are pretty good. I have an Xbox 360 that hasn't been powered on in months (maybe over a year?), but it does have one of my favorite racing games of all time, which is Burnout Revenge.

Anyhow, I completely understand wanting to void your life of video games. I've purged my collection multiple times, but then a few years later I always wish I hadn't done that. Now I think of my video games as some people do with their real book library. People keep tons of books that they've read in the past. They don't read them all the time, but they're there for reference. They show people the stories you've experienced, the soundtracks you've listened to, the styles of games you like, etc. If you're one of those people that goes out and buys every game you can get your hands on just for the sake of owning more videos games, then this hobby probably really isn't for you. If you hand pick most of your games (there are always some deals that come up that are too good to pass up, even on games you don't care much about), and if someone were to ask your opinion on any game you own and you could give a detailed response, then you may want to stick with it.

Having other hobbies outside of just video games really helps, too, otherwise you get lost in this video game world and can't see the bigger picture of your own appreciation.

Interesting to see that there are a lot of people who have similar feelings about current gaming. I guess it's not too shocking on a site like this; classic gamers are more likely than others to be jaded about the current lot of games. We've seen it all, but we like the simplicity and elegance of 2d

I've read a lot of good arguments for the quality titles on current gen systems. That seems true, but even those titles don't hold my interest much. I think as I grew with gaming, I was treated to an entire paradigm shift just about each new console generation. With the advent of 3d, the paradigm shift is no more; just more of a refinement of graphics and gameplay.

Also, I would argue the percentage of original, quality IP is higher on the Genesis than on current systems. There are a fair number of high quality, interesting games on newer consoles, but I have about a hundred+ Genesis games, and most of them are original IP and good to excellent quality. Sure they had sequels back then, but they hadn't been making games long enough to have, say, 30 iterations of Madden or a 10 for Need for Speed (these are random numbers, but you get my point).

I definitely think I have enough gaming between my Genesis and PS3 to last me literally for decades. Add my iPhone to the mix and I don't need any new hardware. Time for me to play more of the games I've purchased and leave the newer stuff to people with more money and time than I've got

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Last new system I bought was an Xbox...I got it for Christmas in 2002. I have been toying with getting a Wii but no dice yet, prolly won't bother for a long time, and now it is looking like never. I haven't been sold on the 360 at all, and I was tempted to get a PS3 but didn't happen.

If I do spend any money on gaming its on collecting, and or upgrading my emulation machine. I play some PC games here and there but all of the big name games I really don't care about.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Outrunner

I, too, am done with consoles. I have a Wii and a DS and have certainly enjoyed them, but I don't think I can ride the Nintendo train anymore, as I'm seriously unimpressed with what I've seen of the successors to those consoles so far (MORE ports, Nintendo? Have you had an original thought since 2001?). I don't see myself buying many PC games in the future either - it just isn't worth the DRM hassle.

It's kind of weird being somebody who plays video games as much as I do without being able to relate to most other gamers. If I say I like video games, the response I get is "Oh, have you played X? what about Y? Z?" I haven't. The fact is that hardly anybody makes the sort of games that I like to play anymore - not in the west, and in Japan the games industry is in trouble and the solution seems to be "be more like the West," so probably not there for long either. I'm not saying that today's games are bad, but they're certainly not for me. It's kind of a sucky feeling, having the industry behind your favorite hobby totally pass you by.
    It may no longer be the `90s, but there is still time for Klax.

I♥Mikuru Asahina Outrunner Tasuke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post
    No more consoles for me...
    there's still good to be found out there, however little.

for me, it's PS3 NISA releases, such as ArTonelico III and Atelier Rorona, which i already own, and the upcoming Atelier Totori, scheduled for this fall...
    ♥Mikuru Asahina♥

My first was in 1981 and was a ZX81 then i went to a ZX Spectrum and i never looked back what a class computer that was. I love the old machines and detest the new ones. They have taken the fun out of gaming wanting to be real. Games are not about being real they are about using your imagination and having fun, but games wanting to be real dont leave anything to the imagination and its very limited on the fun factor.

Thats just my 2p's worth on what i think about this gen of console.

Thread Information