Quantcast

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: how to overclock your sega genesis model 1 and NOTHING ELSE

Maybe this would work?? It's quick and ugly but I hope it makes sense.

Use this type of led:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-10mm-RG...item589713db47

Retrogamer343 - Come find me on Xbox live. COD forever!!!

If using a bi-colour LED you need to use resistors on both legs to drop the voltage.

You need a stronger (larger resistance) resistor on the RED leg otherwise it over powers the blue.

You need a weaker (smaller resistance) on the BLUE leg. If you don't add a resistor here it will go straight to blue since the current will flow in the path of less resistance.

It was trial and error to get purple as purple to be happy with it.

I am at work at the moment but I drew (by hand) up this exact circuit except for the region switch (AU-Blue, JPN-Red, USA-Purple or something like that). When I get home (and if I remember) I will scan it (excuse the hand writing) to show you.

Edit added, the "positions" are from a 3 way switch. These go to ground.

bi-colour 3 colours1.JPG

Edit 2 I should add where i have +5v that is taking from the existing led supply source not 5v directly!
    Last edited by omp; 04-08-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    Thank you for donating to the Sega 16 bit manuals!

wibble wibble mushroom Wildside Expert nemesis enforcer's Avatar

Thanks, Would diodes work or would that cause too much of a drop in power?

Not entirely sure that would work. You need the difference in resistance as a blue led takes more power to work. It needs to find a balance or ratio to give you what you want.

Cheers omp i'll give it a go, just to be clear is it a dp3t switch that i need for this? retrogamer343 i've looked at that option before but could only find that type of led 5mm and above, thanks for the reply though.
    Last edited by nemesis enforcer; 04-11-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    Maybe one of those chips you see people use for the "switchless region mod" ?
    Sorry Drakon, missed your post. I honestly wouldn't know where to start with one of those. I looked into it briefly.... don't they need programming?

I need my Model 1 Over clocked. Maybe a Region mod too. Anyone that can do that for me?

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis enforcer View Post
    Sorry Drakon, missed your post. I honestly wouldn't know where to start with one of those. I looked into it briefly.... don't they need programming?
    They probably do, but it's another option.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis enforcer View Post
    Yes they do. Luckily for you a forum member on assembler forums, Bad_ad84 is in the uk and sells them.

Edit

Link http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...arts-chips-etc
    Last edited by omp; 04-09-2013 at 05:13 PM.

I may have to invest in one of those, will it work for over clocking though?

I have no luck, I tried OC in a MD1 VA3, MD1 VA6, MD2 VA2.23.
    the system hangs on the beginning or a minute, I tried 8Mhz, 10Mhz, 12Mhz and 13.4Mhz and nothing
    probably the other component are crucial, like memos, z80, etc.

any recomendations?

For me out of your list, MD1 VA6, no problem, Genesis 2 VA2.3 FAIL and that was attempting on 3 different consoles, I gave up on that one. But the VA2.3 has other benefits so it is still a great revision to have.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    From my short exposure to switches, when a specific type of switch is needed (like say SPST On - On), you NEED that specific switch. Nothing else will work. One mod needed a DPST on - on switch. I got one but it turned out to be on - off, so it was missing two out of the six poles. I was told that switch will not work. The DPST on - on switch is required and has no substitute.
    Nothing in this post makes sense. SPST is ON - OFF. DPST is still ON - OFF. And a DP switch with 4 pins is ON - OFF and isn't missing any pins at all. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Also, I suppose the halt switch is just a SPST switch either linking pin 17 to ground, or leaving the connection open? Connecting the two outer pins on a SPDT switch without connecting the middle pin to anything looks like a pretty pointless exercise to me. I mean, neither position would do anything in that configuration. Again, correct me if I'm wrong...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Don't know if this has been said yet or not, but if you connect the two outer poles on a SPDT switch, that won't achieve anything. The middle pole is the common one, the two outer poles are never directly connected to each other regardless of which position the switch is in. If you wanted to use an SPDT switch as an SPST, just connect the middle pole and one of the outer poles, functions exactly the same then.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Bump, I went ahead and added clearer steps and better images to this guide, as well a new, better video explaining it.

Sorry but out of all my model 1 modding tutorials, this one always kept coming back to me, asking for improvements. Since I'm currently working on another Genesis, I figure I take the advantage and overall improve this tutorial with better images and steps.

This may be the last time I update the tutorial, maybe I'll come back for the Halt switch but cmon, the mod for it is so bloody simply. 2 wires connected to a toggle switch, one to GND and one to PIN 17 of the CPU chip.
    I don't even recommend adding a halt switch, I personally rarely used it and some games tend to stay frozen after switching the switch back.

The halt mod is just not worth it.
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Thread Information