Quantcast

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacement printable covers for cardboard boxed games

Quote Originally Posted by djshok View Post
    You have to be the only person that I've ever heard say that. Cardboard over plastic, you sir are truly unique in this view. I can't say I agree with you on this one at all, I mean, you can't even open those cardboard boxes without wrecking them just a little each time, but hey whatever floats your boat. I guess there might be a very small market (possibly consisting of you and maybe a friend) for custom made cardboard Genny boxes, but I don't see it being very big since clamshells are widely available, they're much more durable and generally the preferred mode of storage. I know people make cardboard boxes for NES games, but that's partially because NES carts don't fit into UGCs without some heavy modification to the inside of the case.

That's not true at all. The plastic will last much longer if you keep it in a somewhat decent environment ie: on a shelf in a dry room. Kept in the exactly same conditions the plastic cases will last a lot longer than the cardboard ones. The cardboard will also begin to yellow and lose colour a lot faster. And like I said, opening those cardboard boxes tends to damage them
    Gotta agree with DJ here. I can understand collectors wanting original packaging, but up until recently I threw those cardboard boxes (not just Genny games) in the trash, mostly because that's what I do with boxes of anything else I buy. The clamshells were unique in that the box didn't feel like trash, it felt like the game's natural storage space - sturdy and ideal for keeping the game and manual together. In all honesty, the clamshell boxes is a big part of the Genesis experience for me, and it is a big part of what makes it fun for me to collect for the Genny.

Now, I do have quite a few cardboard boxes, and they never feel ideal to keep everything together. The more popular the game, the more wear and tear I'm naturally putting on the box, and if i keep the game and manual seperate from the box, then I just have a bunch of empty boxes sitting around taking up space. The only cardboard boxes that I do find tolerable are the Accolade ones, and that's because they're sturdier and much easier to keep in nice shape.

Maybe it's just me, but I guess I'm not anal enough to prefer the cardboard boxes over the clamshells. Even if it does take away that "original box" factor, I would easily trade in the cardboard boxes for clamshells with some nice alternative art attached.

I printed out the S&K insert and used it in a custom EA case. It looks great, but it's a bit short width-wise, almost a quarter of an inch. Aside from that, it looks stellar.

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

Yeah the EA cases are a little thicker than the regular Sega clamshells. I formatted that one for a standard Sega clamshell. If you'd like I can make an EA case sized one, I'd just need the measurements of your EA case, since they come in several different sizes and I don't know which one you have.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    If I can get a hold of some clamshells I'll probably put the manual and carts in clamshells and store the cardboard boxes elsewhere.
    That's what I've been doing. I'm just not a fan of the cardboard on my shelf.

Yeah the EA cases are a little thicker than the regular Sega clamshells. I formatted that one for a standard Sega clamshell. If you'd like I can make an EA case sized one, I'd just need the measurements of your EA case, since they come in several different sizes and I don't know which one you have.
    I don't have measurements, but I'm using the EA case that's the same as the one used by Super Baseball 2020 and TechnoClash. It's the fatter type.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I don't have measurements, but I'm using the EA case that's the same as the one used by Super Baseball 2020 and TechnoClash. It's the fatter type.
    Hmm I don't have any of those fatter cases, My TechnoClash is in a regular EA case, same thickness as a standard Sega case. I'm guessing they're about a quarter of an inch thicker, I'll see what I can do. Meanwhile...

Mega Bomberman (Variant PAL region art)

Sega clamshell cover: http://www.box.net/shared/m11nsc61d0uxn8807cva
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

This might be an odd request, but I found that the Saturn Backup RAM cart can fit in the Genesis Clamshells. So I was thinking that when I eventually get some spare clamshells of making a case for it. Do you think you could make a cover for it that matches the US Saturn scheme? I'm sure some other Saturn collectors would appreciate that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    This might be an odd request, but I found that the Saturn Backup RAM cart can fit in the Genesis Clamshells. So I was thinking that when I eventually get some spare clamshells of making a case for it. Do you think you could make a cover for it that matches the US Saturn scheme? I'm sure some other Saturn collectors would appreciate that as well.
    I could do it, but I'd need a scan of the original packaging.

Crusader of Centy

Sega clamshell cover: http://www.box.net/shared/0r1cgcggkupqxa44bcng
    Last edited by djshok; 07-23-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Would it be possible to get a Lakers vs. Celtics one? I really hate that darn cardboard box.

You should also do the Wisdom Tree games. Joshua and the Battle of Jericho, Spiritual Warfare, Exodus, Bible Adventures...

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Would it be possible to get a Lakers vs. Celtics one? I really hate that darn cardboard box.
    Yep I can do that one, just give me some time to finish off the covers I have on the go. I do have scans for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    You should also do the Wisdom Tree games. Joshua and the Battle of Jericho, Spiritual Warfare, Exodus, Bible Adventures...
    I'd like to, getting scans might be a bit difficult since these are really rare to find boxed.

I have Joshua and Spiritual Warfare CIB, although the SW especially is shot to shit. I'll keep my eyes out for a scanner...300 DPI?

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    ...300 DPI?
    At least, 600 if you can. Thanks man!

Hey djshok, great job on the covers! I noticed in your first post that you listed Toy Story as a cardboard only game. It was actually released in a clamshell as well. I've got a scan of it if you'd like it. I don't think anyone's made a US retail cover for it at the cover project, yet.

I could do it, but I'd need a scan of the original packaging.
    I've been looking for one and the best I can find is on RF generation but it's nowhere near the quality you'd need to make a good looking cover. Though it might be possible to create a new case using stock photos and a recolored Genesis template.
    Last edited by TrekkiesUnite118; 08-03-2011 at 02:08 AM.

Thread Information