Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: model 1 with 32X = No sound?

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

Default model 1 with 32X = No sound?

I'm thinking about buying one of these cables, but the seller says you won't get any sound coming out of the TV because the Genesis model 1 doesn't transfer audio to the 32X. You have to use the headphones. Is this BS? Because I've never heard of this. Could the cables just be pieces of crap?

http://shop.gametrog.com/SEGA-32X-to...32X-CROSS1.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

That's BS, the Genesis 1 does output mono sound through the Av port...But with a Genesis 1 and 32X system video/audio output, you'll need an Av mono cable (MK-1634), the official stereo cable (MK-1635) is not going to give you any stereo sound....
    φΨήœ μΞΠΰ ε ψώ♪

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

could I still just use the stereo AV cables? I don't have any mono ones. Would it compromise the sound quality at all? I'm looking to switch my model 2 for a model 1, so I only have the stereo AV cables from the model 2 that I already use with my 32X.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

My friend had the same problem with his newly purchased stereo AV cables (upon my recommendation). But there's definitely no sound at all coming out through the 32X.

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    could I still just use the stereo AV cables? I don't have any mono ones. Would it compromise the sound quality at all? I'm looking to switch my model 2 for a model 1, so I only have the stereo AV cables from the model 2 that I already use with my 32X.
    No, you wont be able to use the stereo cable...You can get the stereo sound through the phones jack, and have two separate cables (One for audio/one for the video), maybe that's what the seller was trying to say all along....Or, you can get a mono cable ..

The reason to all of this is because the pins in a stereo and mono cable are arranged differently...The stereo cable pins according to the genesis 2 stereo audio only...
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 07-24-2011 at 03:43 PM.
    φΨήœ μΞΠΰ ε ψώ♪

It all about the games! Wildside Expert SDFcommander's Avatar

I have a model 1 Genesis with a 32X on sale on E-bay right now. I have that Game Trog custom model 1 Genesis to 32X cable (not the 2 that need to be connected) and you can use the stereo cables from the 32X out to hook up to your speakers but the sound will not be in stereo. It is simply the same sound piped out of 2 speakers. For true stereo sound I am using a RCA Y cable to go from the headphone jack to the speaks.

You can see pictures of the cables on my auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Kanon's Avatar

I'm not getting any sound at all (Gen or 32x games).

First, the setup: Model 1 Genesis, with 32X. From Gen to 32X, a custom cable sending video from AV, and audio from the headphones output. Then, from the 32X a AV mono cable (weird but it works)

What I could troubleshoot: Video output is correct in this setup (layers from GEN and 32X as expected). If I take the 32X and install it as it is (same AV cable, obviously a different crossover cable for mod 2) in a Genesis Mod 2 clone, sound from the 32X works (I don't use it this way cause the clone and 32X can't work toghether with video). Audio from the headphones output of the Gen1 works. The Gen1 is attached to a Sega CD, but I also checked without the SCD, no changes.

So, I guess the only suspect is the new cable, but I don't know what else can I try, or how can I be sure that is the problem.

The AV "mono" cable I'm using works with the Gen2 clone, and the 32X, but it is very weird, only 3 pins in the connector. Could that be the issue? maybe it works with Gen2 audio but not with Gen1?

urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar

Have you tried an AV stereo cable?
    A mono cable for Genesis 2 with 3 pins can be designed in two ways. Either by joining left+right, or splitting the mono output.

Quote Originally Posted by lumclaw View Post
    Have you tried an AV stereo cable?
    A mono cable for Genesis 2 with 3 pins can be designed in two ways. Either by joining left+right, or splitting the mono output.
    I guess is joining L+R, there is only one video and one audio RCA connector. Could it be that the crossover cable is sending mono from the GEN1 and then the 32X outputs mono to a different, not conected, pin? (Shouldn't there be stereo sound regardless, when playing 32X games?)

I'll try to get more cables to try out. Gen 1 cables are hard to get over here. I ordered some regular crossover cables for Gen1 back then, but they are a long way to arriving yet.

Why not use a male 3.5mm to RCA stereo cable for sound directly from the Genesis 1 headphone jack and then use the AV cable from the 32X for video only? I did that when I modded my 32X for S-Video and didn't even bother using the AV output on the 32X since the mod required disabling composite video.

Yeah I just run a earphone to RCA stereo out cable from my earphone jack to my av splitter and only have S-video coming off my 32X I use with my Model 1. Pretty much the most tried and true method to get the best audio out of that combination.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    Why not use a male 3.5mm to RCA stereo cable for sound directly from the Genesis 1 headphone jack and then use the AV cable from the 32X for video only? I did that when I modded my 32X for S-Video and didn't even bother using the AV output on the 32X since the mod required disabling composite video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Helgeson View Post
    Yeah I just run a earphone to RCA stereo out cable from my earphone jack to my av splitter and only have S-video coming off my 32X I use with my Model 1. Pretty much the most tried and true method to get the best audio out of that combination.
    That sounds like the simplest and safest way, but isn't there sound generated from the 32X that would be missing? or is all sound coming from the Genesis and the 32X only provides improved graphics?

All the sound comes out of the ear phone jack just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Helgeson View Post
    All the sound comes out of the ear phone jack just fine.
    I see. Thanks.

I guess the ultimate setup would be 32X for video, then the headphones jack from the GEN 1 to the Sega CD, and then the Sega CD RCA for audio output.

EDIT: Seems to be working wonders that way
    Last edited by Kanon; 01-09-2017 at 10:18 PM.

UPDATE: I got some other "regular" Model 1 to 32X cables -meaning that they don't use the headphone jack for sound, but everything goes from the AV port from the Gen to 32X- and they work fine, so I guess there is just something wrong with the cable I currently use (I don't mind 'cause I send the audio from the headphone to the SCD and then AV to the TV )

Thread Information