Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BNC AV pinout/ info

16-bit Man Nameless One andrew23's Avatar

Sonic BNC AV pinout/ info

Hey there,
    A few months ago, I picked up a Sony pvm-2030 studio monitor; I haven't had much of a chance to use it because I can find much information on which pins are Red, green or blue, if they are.
    Does anybody have much information on BNC inputs?
    Genesis all the way!

Wildside Expert

something like this?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PVM-25-Way-...item1c1d6757d8
    I don't know which pins go where, but you can ask seller, though I somewhat doubt he will reply

I have the manual that came with it which identifies each pin on the computer input, I guess I could import a Genny scart cable and use that converter..
    Though I could just build my own through the comp input:

But what I was asking about is these BNC connectors so I could make use of all the av inputs:
    175px-BNC_connector.jpg
    Hmm... If anyone has more info on this? I read the manaul but it is not very clear, but it sounds like composite goes through it?
    Last edited by andrew23; 07-25-2011 at 12:58 PM.
    Genesis all the way!

I have a pair of 2030s. The BNC jacks are used for composite video. You can buy little adapters that plug into the BNC jacks and provide standard RCA jacks, or just make your own out of an old BNC cable. They're wired exactly as you would think they are.

Ah Ok, thanks for the help Jax184! I'm going to build a cable utilizing the 25-pin Cmptr input. So, I suppose they use the BNC cables/inputs to keep comnsumers from using them... I know a few places to buy the converters. I thought they would send rgb through it, (I thought there was four pins within the connectors).
    Genesis all the way!

Actually, BNC jacks for composite video are common in the professional video industry. They don't come unplugged on their own, and they're less prone to interference/corroded contacts.

Later PVMs used RGB and Component over BNC connections as well, but the 2030 uses the 25 pin connector for that. Let me know if you have any questions about how to wire it up. My PVM came with a pair of cables the last owner bought on the internet for the PS2 and the Dreamcast, and they were both wired very very wrong. So wrong that it ended up blowing the RGB connector on one of my PVMs. I had to rewire them myself.

Sounds like a pain to redo the RGB connector... I feel pretty confident, but I do have a question, for pin 9, I leave that open since the Genesis outputs an analog signal(I assume)? If I wanted stereo sound, how would I go about doing this? I'm fine with using Mono (having unilateral hearing), but in certain games I can interpret stereo sound, like collecting rings in Sonic, or bikes zooming by on my right side in Super Hang-On (I could hear very few sounds out one ear, my other works fine...). Anyways, that's beside the point. I know that the genesis outputs 5v, so would I go about 'telling' the monitor to select sound out of Line A or Line B?

Also when I picked up this monitor, there was a catch I was informed that Line A doesn't display video/audio correctly. I haven't given it a test yet, (I will) Any ideas what could be wrong?
    Thank you very much again for your help! You're the most helpful person on the internet that I've 'met'!
    Genesis all the way!

Yes, leave pin 9 unconnected.

The PVM doesn't have internal speakers, just connectors on the back for a pair to be plugged in. In my case I just ran the audio out to my sound system with a pair of RCA cables, and only used the PVM for video.

Do not feed 5v power from the Genesis into ANY pin on the PVM. That's what the idiot who wired up the cables which came with mine did, and it blew the port. What the diagram is telling you is that 5v is present at those pins, and if you leave them alone (so they read +5v) you will get one mode, but if you ground them (So they read 0v) you get another.

I see, thanks for the advice, I don't like burning studio monitors, so 5v then is a no-no. Now, I'll have to dig out my old Mitsubishi reciever, I like that sound system... I'm sure the PVMs came with speakers as an option, as mine have a pair of speakers mounted on the sides; They sure have nice sound too...

I just tested Lines A and B and they appear to work fine execpt that Line A gives a really dull, and slightly blurry picture, I can adjust the colour so it looks ok, but the blur remains, but no problem anyways..
    Genesis all the way!

I saw the optional speakers mentioned in the manual, but I've never seen them. Glad they sound good.

I suggest you make the cable so that a pair of RCA cables hang out of it, which you can connect to the RCA jacks on the back of the PVM, or a seperate amp, depending on mood. Then jumper pin 2 of the 25 pin connector to ground so that the PVM always expects audio from its RCA jacks.

There's not much to see of the speakers, they're connected by a bracket on which they swivel, with black steel mesh, and a vertical Sony logo. Each have one tweeter and one mid-range/woofer. Gives very clear sound. Only problem that they flop back and forth, they've losened over time (small problem).
    I feel ready to make these cables, I will go Wednesday to buy the rest of the parts I need. Thanks a lot!
    Genesis all the way!

What did you decide to do? RGB through the 25 pin cable with audio hanging off?

Yep, that's what I'll do. For my model one, I could simply build an adapter (8 pin male din to 9 pin female mini-din) to the 25 pin cable and send the audio through a 3.5mm-RCA cable to the unit.
    Genesis all the way!

So, I finally got the din connectors off of the ebay, and built the cables today. Yet, I realized that my monitor's CMPTR input isn't working; it just displays a line of video data near the top. Any ideas what is happening?

IMG_6730.jpg
    Genesis all the way!

oh, hello there WCPO Agent Robivy64's Avatar

Unrelated to your issue, but I have a broken PVM 2030 that I am about to trash (destroyed in shipping due to incompetent seller) and can send you a replacement SONY badge. I see yours is missing.

Thread Information