Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's The Most You've Ever Paid For A Video Game?

Default What's The Most You've Ever Paid For A Video Game?

Given that I've been in the process of rebuilding my game collection after a recent financial blow, I figured why not make a thread involving games that any of us had paid the most for to recollect just how far some of us had gone to obtaining a game.

The modern market has $60 titles for the most part, and then there's special editions and bargain priced titles too.

The retro market is generally evil in comparison however, as there's some new titles I'd like to add to my Saturn collection when I thought about what games I'd like to continue to pursue after taking a break some odd years ago, but a lot of these titles have only sky-rocketed in value considering how bad sellers out there want to nail a collector like me.

Take for instance this game, which has an excuse for its limited print run (7500 copies). This game had been on my radar for some time, but it just begs the question "How bad do you want it?"

Gameplay Video

If I ever decide to break down and get this game in the future, all I have to say is, I'd probably lock the damn game away in a safe once I got it.

So what was the most I've paid for a game? Here we go!

1. Towers II (Atari Jaguar - $200) - This game wasn't even close to being worth the money, but I wanted to have an RPG on the fledgling Jaguar and it at least delivered some novelty for all the trouble I went through to find it. Gameplay ranged from finding hidden switches, teleporting around, talking to dead people for clues, and levitating to other floors. So in actuality, this game had a variety of gimmicks to keep it interesting despite the messy combat and lame storyline.

2. Radiant Silvergun (Sega Saturn - $170) - One of the five best games I've ever played, this game really felt like it was worth the money because the gameplay and presentation were very memorable for me. If I'm going to put down serious money for a shmup, I'd rather it be for a life-changing experience like Radiant Silvergun. And actually, if you count the Action Replay I got with it, I technically put in $200 just to play the game. And go figure, it's going to be on Xbox Live soon.

3. Panzer Dragoon Saga (Sega Saturn - $160) - Game's worth double what I paid for it then, so I'm very grateful to have found the game when I did. And like Radiant Silvergun, PDS was easily worth the money and trouble thanks to its highly unique gameplay and wonderful presentation. Easily my favorite RPG ever!

4. Keio Flying Squadron (Sega CD - $135) - The most I ever paid for a Sega CD game, which is shocking considering the game's competition. In truth, the game was unfairly priced, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it a lot because the characters were fun and the levels were imaginative. It really was a great Sega CD game that I'd gladly recommend to Shmup fans out there, especially those who love anime-styled humor put into it.

5. The Space Adventure (Sega CD - $97) - A Graphic Adventure game with the Space Adventure Cobra franchise that was well worth the trouble of seeking out. The story and characters were very fun, and the action sequences were tense as well. The world of Cobra is probably the most engaging aspect, as its filled with much unique scenery. Recommended.

6. Snatcher (Sega CD - $91) - The first Sega CD purchase I made and I was not disappointed. Kojima's storytelling is nothing short of brilliant, and the scenarios were well planned. Intense Cyberpunk action that snags the gold medal for best Graphic Adventure game I've ever played!

7. Shining Force III (Sega Saturn - $90) - A fantastic Strategy RPG that more than lived up to its lineage, as the storyline and graphics were awesome. The only downside is that it was Part 1 to a much larger story. But that's only a minor complaint for what was a great game otherwise.

8. Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64 - $85 w/tax) - It was the last copy of Mario 64 in my vicinity growing up, and it was in a Shopko. Could I be blamed? Could you imagine an N64 without this game? Did you think I was going to come home with MK Trilogy and call it a day? C'MON! (nothing against good ol' MK)

9. War Gods (Nintendo 64 - $85 w/tax) - Ah yes, the days of N64 and nasty cartridge-based pricing during my childhood. I remember being desperate for a new N64 game and my local Walmart already had enough of the titles I currently owned, save for one new entry...War Gods. The game wasn't terrible, as it was campy-good like Midway's other 64 fighters (Mace, Bio Freaks), but it just wasn't worth $85.

Don't you just love it when you're a kid and you're desperate to buy new stuff?

10. Guardian Heroes (Sega Saturn - $70) - For what I paid, I thought this game was an excellent title that really had a fun system with its Beat-Em-Up meets RPG gameplay. Presentation was spot on, and the game had massive replayability. Worth it!

Just enough for a Top 10, who would've thought!

What would your entries be?

Garfield: Caught in the Act on Genesis, $99.99 CAD plus taxes.

Why it cost that much I do not know.

Banned by Administrators

60$ for legend of wukong off ebay

I think $70 for a CIB Crusader of Centy.

Around $1500 twice for Darxide and Primal Rage for 32X.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

You were the guy who bought that Darxide, Zebbe? God damn.

$165 for Panorama Cotton

$125 for Alien Soldier (Jap)

Banned by Administrators

oh i thought u meant SEGA GAME

100$ for Digital Devil Saga complete in collectors box with pre order controller skins

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Around $1500 twice for Darxide and Primal Rage for 32X.
    ...and the winner is

Approximately
    $1450 for T-Mek (PAL 32X)
    $1350 for DarXide (PAL 32X)
    $1250 for Primal Rage (PAL 32X)
    $1111.11 for a factory sealed Daytona USA CCE Netlink Edition (US SAT)
    $700 for a factory sealed Spider-Man Web of Fire (US 32X) - then one sold just a couple months later for around $300 (pissed me off!!!)

Everything else is $400 and under I think (I could just be forgetting some - I've purchased so much it's all a haze)
    $400 for Tarzan (PAL GG)
    $350 for Mallet Legend w/ controller (GEN)...

and many, many others I can't immediately remember...

The most I've bid though was about $1900 for some Neo Geo game, but I obviously lost.
    Be Attitude For Gains!

Banned by Administrators

u guys are fukin rich man godamn

over the years I never paid over 50$ for a NeoGeo game thats only cuz they were boxed. I live in s. florida there are two major flea markets with vendors that just get bulk videogames and dont have an idea of what they are.

The flea markets in the late 90s and early 2000s it was a haven for classic gaming deals, thats where I got almost all my neogeo games since online they are just way overpriced IMO. Plus Im poor.

The two game heavens aka flea marets were THE SWAP SHOP in fort lauderdale, and the big arabian flea market in miami, I forget it official name. It just has these big arabian looking buildings at the entrance.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

The most that I've ever paid was $45 for a loose copy of Mega Man X2, and that was really pushing it for me. I don't like to spend a hell of a lot on a single game. The most I ever paid for a Genesis game in comparison was $27 for a complete Gunstar Heroes.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

$190: Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Worth every penny and more

$100: Dracula X PC Engine
    Worth it

$175: Double Dragon 2
    The full Arcade Machine, not some overpriced piece of garbage.

$210: Neo Geo Compilation Bartop Machine
    I rigged it to take quarters.

Man, Zebbe and SpaceFlea you guys spend some mad cash for games! I could never dream of spending over a grand for one game.

The most I've paid for games (Not counting retail, because I usually don't remember that stuff and would do trade-ins and whatnot to get the price down, and usually I just don't remember the price.)

1. Guardian Heroes - $80 for this one, ended up being very disappointed with the gameplay and sold it for $80 a week or two later.

2. Burning Rangers - $60 This is quite possible one of the BEST games I've played for the value of my money. I played the everloving crap out of this game (Like NiGHTS) and this definitely put Saturn as my favorite system. The game is just so fantastic!

3. Saturn Bomberman - $50 Everyone raves about this game and I had never played a Bomberman title before, and since I got it for relatively cheaper than what it goes for ($80 or 90) I decided to pick it up. Fun little game, but I feel that it gets really fun with the most people.

4. Mega Man V (Game Boy) - $50 Picked this one up in store credit from working at a video game store (I didn't work for cash when I worked there) but it's still a pretty substantial amount for a cart-only game especially. Fantastic Mega Man and Game Boy game though, and still the only Mega Man game I've played all the way through. The power-ups were great and the bosses challenging, but the entire game wasn't overly frustrating.

4. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker - $40 - Got this from eBay right after the AVGN reviewed it (And a few months before MJ Died) so I didn't totally pay out the ass for it, but the condition it came in was pretty terrible, which kind of sucked. Water damage on the insert and the manual was a bit beat up. But I didn't care because I'm not a collector, still ended up playing the hell out of the game anyway!
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Master of Shinobi

I have never payed over the original sticker price for a game.

Thread Information