Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side by Side: Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis vs. Saturn)

Sonic Side by Side: Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis vs. Saturn)

Sega disappointed everyone by not releasing a true Sonic game for the Saturn, and what we got instead was Sonic 3D Blast, which was also ported to the Genesis. Well, now that we have two of them, why not see which oneís better? Check out our latest Side by Side and find out!

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I was seriously disappointed by the Saturn version back in the day, I especially didn't like the music. I ended up with the Genesis version, I liked it better even before I played Sonic Adventure. I just wish they had added a better run and slide mechanic, something like Sega Sonic Arcade would have been so much more amusing.

King of the Ring WCPO Agent ThugsRook's Avatar

the Saturn version looks like the PC version.

(PC version still works perfectly as-is in WindowsXP, not sure about later OSes)

Both the Genesis and Saturn versions of the game start up with a cool FMV clip, the trendy thing of the time (how they fit it on the Genesis cart Iíll never know).
    It's short, has a relatively low framerate (still high enough to look somewhat smooth though), the resolution is really low (it's scaled up in real time), and each frame is compressed using RNC (which is a general purpose LZ77-like compression format). It doesn't take up that much space though, it's under 200KB in the ROM if I recall correctly.

The level graphics are more of an issue, since those make up most of the cartridge and they're uncompressed... This is because the level format allows them to use up to 4096 tiles (double the amount of tiles you can fit in video memory) so the graphics need to be streamed as you move around. Object graphics are also uncompressed for the same reason... and pretty much everything you can see in-game.

Hero of Algol

The Saturn version has a strong feeling of "rushed".
    The loading screens are totally non-sense IMO. Like added in the very last minute...
    I don't like the CD soundtrack too...

Banned by Administrators

The saturn version is in every way better but, I enjoy both versions. This is surprisingly one of my most played Sonic games.

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

The Saturn version was about the only thing I enjoyed about that godawful mess of a system, I especially remember liking the music in Rusty Ruin. The Genesis version was a nice effort but it just really didn't work on the limited hardware. Very cool article overall.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

I've always defended the Genesis version over the Saturn version. It's more impressive technically (the Saturn could and should have done a full 3D game) considering the hardware, it plays the same, and I really prefer the 16-bit soundtrack. Some of the tracks are super catchy. It's not that the Saturn version is a bad game - it's just a disappointment considering the hardware and lack of other Sonic games.

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

I disagree that Saturn should've had a fully 3D Sonic game. I think it would have sucked epically and been received worse than 3D Blast was. Sonic is a character that IMO just doesn't translate well into 3D. They can't even get it right with current technology, imagine the mess it would've been if it played like the new 3D Sonics and looked like a first gen 3D title. I think that would have potentially killed the franchise.

I think 3D Blast was a fine game on the Saturn and all the stink around it was the result of the Genesis release. I think that Sega of Japan had the right idea by keeping it a Saturn exclusive, then again they also managed to make the Saturn something of a success over there... coincidence? Maybe. Sega of America could have at least released it on the 32X since they were still trying to support that system parallel to the Saturn, maybe with the extra bit of oompf from the black mushroom the cart version would've looked a little better and who knows it could've actually made the 32X less of a commercial failure.

Also, I think the most disappointing thing that Sega has done since is not release the Saturn version of 3D Blast on any of those Sonic compilations they keep crapping out. I'd love to play that game again but I'm not buying a Saturn for just one game, and I don't think there's a Saturn emulator out there that actually works.

EDIT: You know what I just realized that article could really use - a side by side picture comparison of the special stages. You know because that's a big difference and all.
    Last edited by djshok; 09-14-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

I usually turn this off after I beat the first boss and am expected to tornado around in the second zone. It is a horrible game with ugly graphics, shitty FMVs, and worst of all it is headache inducing.

The Saturn special stages and both soundtracks should have been in better games. A lot of wasted music there.

Banned by Administrators

How can anyone hate that? Its got that sonic cd vibe to it that sounds so great.

Being a new Saturn owner, I was pleasantly surprised by the relative quality of 3D Blast for Saturn. If I was a Saturn owner back in the 90s, I probably would have been very disappointed to receive a mere upgrade of a Genesis I already played to death rather than a real 3D Sonic game. Still, the music in the Lava level is just amazing, almost Pirates of the Caribbean-esque! And the special stages are a real joy; I found the Genesis versions boring since there was no danger of falling off the edges. I commend the designers for limiting the number of emeralds you can earn per stage. It keeps me from messing around for hours getting rings in the early stages just so I can knock them out early like I do in the Genesis version.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

I am not crazy about the game on either system, but I do love the Special Stages on the Saturn version -- just like Sonic 2's but better! I just wish the Saturn version had a level select so I could JUST play the Special Stages...

I second the motion! It's too bad the Saturn/PC version hasn't made any reappearances (that I'm aware of) in all the repackaging of the classic Sonic games. Those special stages are pretty spectacular!

Master of Shinobi

They both look like crap. But the Saturn version looks like much prettier crap!

Thread Information