Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Side by Side: Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis vs. Saturn)

Pity rep is still rep. Raging in the Streets Mr Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bastardcat View Post
    They both look like crap. But the Saturn version looks like much prettier crap!
    I think this is the key point. Regardless of it being Saturn or Mega Drive, you're still playing Sonic 3D, which is tosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl
    You my lord, are a poet and a scholar. Of death.

Hero of Algol

Thanks, President!

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

I never played Sonic 3D Blast for long, but I must say I really like the graphics. It´s not easy to make pre-rendered graphics look good with the Genny´s color palette, but they pulled it off very well.

I♥Mikuru Asahina Outrunner Tasuke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bastardcat View Post
    They both look like crap. But the Saturn version looks like much prettier crap!
    ALSO makes a GREAT soundtrack CD, IMO...
    ♥Mikuru Asahina♥

Way to go Baloo, Bringing back the Side by Side, my personal favorite Sega-16 feature.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

I must be one of the few people who prefer the Mega Drive soundtrack much more than the Sega Saturn one.

I loved what Richard Jacques did in the Sega Saturn with his fantastic work in games like Shinobi X (this one features a WAY BETTER musical score than the utter crap present in Shin Shinobi Den/Shinobi Legions) and Sonic R, but not so much what he did in the Sega Saturn version of Sonic 3D except for the awesome Panic Puppet music tracks. These are the only zones/act in which I prefer the Sega Saturn versions of the music, with the Mega Drive versions taking the edge for me in the rest of the game, especially regarding the boss themes which stand out a lot more than the Sega Saturn counterparts. The alternative boss music (Rusty Ruins Zone boss and onwards) and the final boss music in particular are incredible.

There's also a significant difference regarding the Sega Saturn and PC versions of Sonic 3D. The Special Stages in the PC version were not the poligonal-rendered pipe stages developed by Sonic Team that are featured in the Sega Saturn version. Rather, this version has some similar but unimpressive 2D equivalents developed by Traveller's Tales using assets of the bridge-like Special Stages from the Mega Drive version.

1:00

And on a side note, the appearance of Sonic 3D for the Sega Saturn was very secondary in Japan. It didn't mean anything to the console's Japanese success (not "something of a success", since you don't have "something of a success" on a market where it gathered over 1200 games on sale in its entire lifespam and with sales numbers/figures only below to those of the PlayStation) and of course the Japanese release was exclusive for it, as the game was kept unreleased in there until October 14, 1999 for some reason, being the last first-party game released for the Sega Saturn in Japan (there were some third-party games like Capcom's Final Fight Revenge still appearing in 2000). A Mega Drive release was totally out of the question by then, but it would have been out of the question also in 1996 since the last Mega Drive release in Japan was Compile's Madoh Monogatari I in March 22, 1996.
    Last edited by Wesker; 09-20-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Why does everyone prefer music in Saturn version over Genesis one? 16-bit Sonic 3D has some of the best tunes in the series period.

Hero of Algol

Oh yeah! Rusty Ruins Zone soundtrack is mindblowing on Genesis.

Road Rasher

Response to 108 Stars

I've played the Sega Mega Drive version of the game and I agree that the graphics are pretty good for the system.

I've only ever experienced Sonic 3D Blast on the Saturn, so that's the one I'm gonna comment on:

I think the game looked beautiful- particularly in Rusty Ruins where they tried setting an atmosphere with mist. The special stage was an updated treat to those that missed the Sonic 2 version. It had a great soundtrack, save the cheesy song that ran during the credits. And the only hang-up I ever had was with the controls- they were just a bitch.

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Nice article. Strangely enough Ive never played either version. I'll probably give the Saturn version a go.

I bought this game in 98 or 99 for the Genesis and I thought it looks great for a Genesis game but not so much for a Saturn game. Overall it's not really a great playing Sonic game and i'd rather have these graphics but in a 2D playing field.

Thread Information