Quantcast

Thread: PAL Model 1 RF Socket Removal

Road Rasher

Default PAL Model 1 RF Socket Removal

I'm going to be attempting my first ever mod soon, adding a 50/60hz switch to a pal-asian model megadrive. Since I have the one minor benefit of having RGB in PAL land, I was wondering if there are any guides or tips in removing the RF modulator from the MD board.

I'm trying to make the mod as cosmetically clean as possible, so I'm considering routing the switch through the back, using the hole where the RF modulator would be. I obviously however don't want to ruin the system haphazardly figuring as I go along how to pull the RF box out.

Anybody want to chime in with some advice?

Hero of Algol

I got one of these Pal-Asian model 1 Mega Drives some months ago...
    I removed the RF Socket with my own hands, it was no difficult at all. If you take some pictures (motherboard) I can tell you if it's exactly the same. These Asian models were roughly adapted to be sold in Europe, so you might have no trouble doing a rough socket removal! If there's any screw, just unscrew it; if it's glued just use your brute force. Obviously, take some care to not f*** up everything but these model 1s do like some tough love.

Prior to getting a de-solder gun, I used to remove these to fit a s-video socket (perfect size).

I would de-solder the 3 pins that would go from the board into the RF socket using a soldering iron and de-solder pump (easy).

Then to remove the RF socket itself I have a pair of small cutters that have a flat surface on one side, with this I would cut the solder blobs as close as possible to the board. These solder blobs are what hold the RF modulator to the board. I would then get a small flat bladed screw driver and prise it gently under a corner of the RF modulator. I would then use my soldering iron again to melt what was left of the solder blobs. Continue to do this until it pops off. There isn't any major tracks under the Modulator, just earthing. However, there is another set of 3 through holes for a smaller model RF modulator. So long story short,there is nothing directly under the RF modulator to hurt.

Road Rasher

Cheers guys, I both really appreciate the feedback! I'll post some pics up probably after some free time tomorrow, the families coming up for a meal. Then I'll have a crack at removing the RF, then I'll maybe postback again soon after some success with soldering!

Thread Information