Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Space Adventure

Ninja Space Adventure

Hudson Soft brings Buichi Terasawa's classic Cobra manga to life on the Sega CD. Fun and filled with great animation and story, its linear gameplay and poor voice acting may turn some potential gamers away. And there's that whole "costs around $100 on eBay" thing... Read our review for all the details.

Hero of Algol

Nice! I was already interested in this game and this review just increased my curiosity...

Could anybody here tell me how this version compares to the Cobra II: Densetsu no Otoko for the PCE CD?
    Are they exactly the same game? Any censorship in the Sega CD version? How about the graphics?
    Last edited by Barone; 09-22-2011 at 01:28 PM.

The Man Beyond Bionics Wildside Expert InfraMan's Avatar

Glad to see this one finally got a review! The Space Adventure is one of my favorite guilty pleasures on the Sega CD... I know I shouldn't enjoy it as much as I do, but it's just so damned goofy :P

I have always looked after getting the PC-Engine CD version and giving it a try to check the possible differences, but for some reason or other I couldn't do it. But I don't think the Mega-CD version is very censored, or at least in terms of graphic content.

The Mega-CD version is an awesome game as it is. Sure, Snatcher is a better game, but The Space Adventure is still one of the best Japanese visual adventures I have ever played and a kick-ass experience for any Cobra or non-Cobra fan, up to the point that it even manages to improve the source material (that is, the original manga story, which develops A LOT BETTER the way it is told in this game).
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

I have always wanted to try this one even if its not great.

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

Neat, I was always curious about this game, nice to see it got reviewed.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Wildside Expert

Did Hudson suddenly run out of money by the time the voice-overs came around? Did it just lose interest and want the game out the door already?
    More like "Is the game merely a product of its time when voice actors were an afterthought?"

Huh, ironically enough I JUST bought this yesterday and was looking for a review. Sweet!

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    I have always looked after getting the PC-Engine CD version and giving it a try to check the possible differences, but for some reason or other I couldn't do it. But I don't think the Mega-CD version is very censored, or at least in terms of graphic content.

The Mega-CD version is an awesome game as it is. Sure, Snatcher is a better game, but The Space Adventure is still one of the best Japanese visual adventures I have ever played and a kick-ass experience for any Cobra or non-Cobra fan, up to the point that it even manages to improve the source material (that is, the original manga story, which develops A LOT BETTER the way it is told in this game).
    IMO you have the best (useful posts)/(posts count) ratio of this board.
    Thanks a lot.

I've saw some screen shots and the Sega CD version looks better, I don't know... The resolution is higher, right?

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

Awesome review! I've been curious about whether or not this game would be worth it for a while, and it sounds like something I would definitely enjoy. Probably won't be picking it up for a while, though; as far as $100+ Sega CD games go, Snatcher is a much higher priority for me.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

Quote Originally Posted by agostinhobaroners View Post
    IMO you have the best (useful posts)/(posts count) ratio of this board.
    Thanks a lot.

I've saw some screen shots and the Sega CD version looks better, I don't know... The resolution is higher, right?
    Thanks man. I'm just a Mega Drive / Mega-CD / most Sega systems enthusiast who likes to be as helpful as possible.

I have also noticed those PC-Engine CD version screenshots (probably the ones featured at pcengine.co.uk) and yeah, it sorta gives that impression because of the different res output of both consoles.

Hudson Soft did a good job adapting the pictures to the higher Mega Drive/Mega-CD res. The color count seems to be slightly better (or at least more vivid) in the PC-Engine CD version, but that's a minor difference in my eyes.

I still would like to try the PC-Engine CD version to check out other differences myself, mostly regarding the sound. With Snatcher, the music was better arranged in the Mega-CD that it was in the PC-Engine CD, so I'd like to see if it's the same way here.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

I love Cobra but I didn't like how the video game turned out to be. I found a copy at $10 at a video game show and to me it wasn't worth my time. I remember trading it for a couple of good JP Saturn titles.

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    Thanks man. I'm just a Mega Drive / Mega-CD / most Sega systems enthusiast who likes to be as helpful as possible.

I have also noticed those PC-Engine CD version screenshots (probably the ones featured at pcengine.co.uk) and yeah, it sorta gives that impression because of the different res output of both consoles.

Hudson Soft did a good job adapting the pictures to the higher Mega Drive/Mega-CD res. The color count seems to be slightly better (or at least more vivid) in the PC-Engine CD version, but that's a minor difference in my eyes.

I still would like to try the PC-Engine CD version to check out other differences myself, mostly regarding the sound. With Snatcher, the music was better arranged in the Mega-CD that it was in the PC-Engine CD, so I'd like to see if it's the same way here.
    I doubt the Sega/MegaCD version runs at a higher res. Not that it couldn't, but it seems pretty wasteful when none of the original assets seem changed/improved at all. Especially when the GEN/MD is capable of running lower res mode.

Also, PCE low res mode (along with Gen/MD low res mode) is not square pixels. Those pce pics aren't scaled to fit the pixel aspect ratio, SunteamPaul just puts up raw/uncorrected captures from emulators (like most sites of any consoles). Matter of fact, just looking at the pics/snaps from the review page (SegaCD) - it's apparent that it runs in low res mode. You can see the nearest neighbor scaling artifacting in the emulator Ken used (Ken corrected for PAR, but without filtering).

That's what happens when you can't play the actual game by any mean and have to make your guess in whatever thing you find around.

Either way, the Mega-CD version seems a pretty solid port overall. I'd still like to try the PC-Engine CD version since I want to check how the music synth differs between both platforms.

Jizzed in my pants... NOT Raging in the Streets M4R14NO94's Avatar

I've been meaning to try this one since a really long time, 'cause it looks quite good.

Also, it's kinda weird that they could get away with the almost nudity in the game, while Rise of the Dragon's SCD port had a freakin' french kiss scene removed from it.
    Links and stuffz:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/LanceBoyle94
    www.youtube.com/user/M4R14NO94
    http://lanceboyles.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by "Weird Al" Yankovic (on the AL-TV "interview" with Kevin Federline)
    Really? You mean like if someone got right up on your face and said that you're an IGNORANT, NO-TALENT WHITE TRASH, FORTUNE SQUANDERING VANILLA ICE WANNABE LOSER, you'd be okay with that?

Thread Information