Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just found out about this.........Mind blown

5200 controllers repaired Master of Shinobi tz101's Avatar

If that thing played Atari 2600, 5200, and Neo Geo as well, I might consider it. As it stands, the three consoles it tries to duplicate are all readily available.

Why use a substitute when the real consoles are so much better? The same reason I don't do emulation.
    It is finished!

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by tz101 View Post
    Why use a substitute when the real consoles are so much better?
    They're affordable, and most people who just want a passable solution aren't going to care that the audio is slightly off, or that the colors aren't the perfect hues.

Not all used consoles sell for the extremely reasonable prices that you'll find the Genesis selling for.

Quote Originally Posted by tz101 View Post
    If that thing played Atari 2600, 5200, and Neo Geo as well, I might consider it. As it stands, the three consoles it tries to duplicate are all readily available.

Why use a substitute when the real consoles are so much better? The same reason I don't do emulation.
    If you are keen atari 2600's (3 versions) and 7800 are very easy to mod for AV

Quote Originally Posted by Bastardcat View Post
    They're affordable, and most people who just want a passable solution aren't going to care that the audio is slightly off, or that the colors aren't the perfect hues.

Not all used consoles sell for the extremely reasonable prices that you'll find the Genesis selling for.
    Agreed; it's not for everyone, but I don't see anything wrong with something like this. Classic Game Room gave it a good review, and the video/audio seemed *okay*. The one plus of this system is it has s-video built in, something that is not available cheaply in the Genesis realm.

People tend to jump in an slam these things without having actually played one. Real reviews of the hardware would be nice.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Then when is my affordable repro Neo geo aes console coming out?
    ***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Master of Shinobi

Dunno, might not be much of a market for those. Neo Geo only got a tiny sliver of the market, and you can't just walk into any old pawn shop or retro game store and see piles of Neo Geo games collecting dust, waiting to be bought. There's not a demand for knock-off Ataris for the opposite reason. Back in the day, you couldn't walk down the sidewalk without tripping over one. Your dog had puppy? Chances are an Atari was in the litter. You walked into the bank and wanted change for a twenty? You got a ten, a five and an Atari. And the things were built to last. A few years ago I sold off my 2600, it wasn't a refurbished model, and still worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post
    Agreed; it's not for everyone, but I don't see anything wrong with something like this. Classic Game Room gave it a good review, and the video/audio seemed *okay*. The one plus of this system is it has s-video built in, something that is not available cheaply in the Genesis realm.

People tend to jump in an slam these things without having actually played one. Real reviews of the hardware would be nice.
    CGR's review of the FC Twin is what convinced me to buy one. I was on the fence for a while. Let me tell ya, not a purchase that I'm regretting.
    Last edited by Bastardcat; 09-27-2011 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Feels good man.

Shake well before use Master of Shinobi Robotwo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I feel dirty. That poor Genesis cart is stuck in between two Nintendo products of questionable quality.
    Fester's smug face sneaking up behind it isn't helping either. D:

Master of Shinobi

Fester LOVES the cock.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaze16 View Post
    Then when is my affordable repro Neo geo aes console coming out?
    Probably never, but if it makes you feel any better, you can get pirated NEO-GEO MVS hardware... That's sort of the same thing. I've seen some modeled after the MV-1FZ and the MV-1C.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Probably never, but if it makes you feel any better, you can get pirated NEO-GEO MVS hardware... That's sort of the same thing. I've seen some modeled after the MV-1FZ and the MV-1C.
    Pirated? Do you mean consolized MVSs or something else?
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

I'm swearing off clones until someone makes a good Game Gear or CD32 clone.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

CGR's review of the FC Twin is what convinced me to buy one. I was on the fence for a while. Let me tell ya, not a purchase that I'm regretting.
    That was the first Famiclone I ever bought and I loved the thing. I recently bought another one as my first one crapped out after a failed mod, and couldn't help but notice the NES side has been downgraded. The video looks the same, but the audio is too loud and distorted. It's not as bad as the ear-shattering distortion on the RetroDuo, but it's still nothing exceptional.

As for the RetroN3, as a Genesis, it could be better. Just watch these two clips I've uploaded comparing the RetroN3 Version 1 and Version 2 to a VA3 Genesis Model 1:

Version 1:

Version 2:

Now, obviously, as you can tell, barely anything has changed between the RetroN3 Version 1 and Version 2, but when it comes to modern Geniclones, the FC3 Plus beats all of them(not the early revisions; those ones are not as good). It plays Virtua Racing, the volume balance between PSG and FM Synthesis is correct for once, VERY little distortion in the audio and most importantly: the sound is clean and crisp, but with weak low frequencies as it seems the FC3 Plus' Genesis audio amp has a high-pass filter of some sort on it. The one major flaw is the complete lack of Stereo sound due to a retarded design error by Yobo on the NES board, which is where the RCA jacks are soldered to. They linked the left and right audio outputs. Why they did that, I have no idea. Also, believe it or not, the 32X DOES work on the FC3 Plus! But as there's no RGB output, you can't mix the RGB(if there is any RGB) from the FC3 Plus' GOAC into the 32X's A/V input and since pins B1 and B3 are not hooked up to the audio amp, you get no 32X PWM. Still is worth trying to see if the FC3 Plus can be made to fully work with the 32X.

Now, while you can't use original Genesis controllers on the FC3 Plus without modifying it with Genesis controller ports(the existing controller ports use Super NES controller signals), if you own a Gen-X, GN Twin or any other Genesis/NES 2-in-1 clone, you can use their controllers on the FC3 Plus. And if you have a Genesis controller you don't mind modding, you can convert it into a controller which will work on the FC3 Plus using 2 ICs(I don't remember which ones).

Back to the RetroN3: DO NOT use a RetroN3 Version 2 to play Super NES games. They will hurt your ears big time. Have a look(WARNING: keep some earmuffs near you, especially for the 5th clip):

That is horrible and inexcusable considering the RetroN3 Version 1 sounded MUCH better than this.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

Master of Shinobi

That reminds me, I need to get a Super Gameboy cart.

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

Be sure to underclock it if you do because the Super GameBoy runs a bit too fast and the sound pitch is noticeably higher than on an actual GameBoy. This is why I have two Super GameBoys, but since the Super GameBoy's sound pitch is higher than normal out of the factory, I use my stock Super GameBoy when comparing clones.
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Note: If you want to contact me on Skype, identify yourself or your contact request will be rejected.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kool kitty89 View Post
    Pirated? Do you mean consolized MVSs or something else?
    Nope, bootleg MVS boards, just like how there's bootleg MVS cartridges.

Thread Information