Quantcast

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: PS2 vs Game Cube graphics?

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Who wants to see me post some interesting stuff about Burnout 3?
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Nevermind, Imgur is being a slow crappy site. I f^#^$#king hate when this happens.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    SegaAMD you are always doing the worst job of being unbiased. Other members often talk about the positives and negatives of the PS2. For you its always positives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    The "too sharper" argument I had never seen before, I guess you just pulled it out of your ass like most of the stuff you wrote in this thread.
    @Yharnamresident I'm trying to be impartial, I just seem partial because most people here already have an opinion formed and they can't revise some prejudices, ok I'm here just posting, my objective not to convince anyone, I respect the most variable opinions ok.

I said that the PS2 '' is too sharper '' every Playstation 2 player on good TV knows that and see above the answer I received, so I will have to post the links, otherwise I will be like a liar.

I will not take into account other points, just sharpness ok

Burnout

It can in fact be described as better on cube, this is because this version came few months later and has changes in the skybox, which affect all lighting, some changes in reflections and shadows in addition to having a progressive scan, it's not the same settings. GC does these changes in many games, then I'll post.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2002/04...t-head-to-head

''PS2 definitely has a sharp display, but loses out to the shimmering and aliasing issues. GameCube looks impressive with soft lighting, nice textures, and a few effects the Xbox doesn't have. It's very odd in that the GameCube version looks "dirtier." Whether this was intentional or not by the developers is unknown. Cars don't look perfectly plastic or freshly waxed as they do on the Xbox and PS2. You may actually enjoy this look, but in the end Xbox definitely has the upper hand -- even if just barely. The specular lighting, car reflections, and crisper textures work nicely. All versions run at an impressively solid 60 frames per second.''

Burnout 2

https://www.ign.com/articles/2003/06...t-head-to-head

''We were shocked to see just how solid this engine is on the PlayStation 2. Sony's console might have its troubles with jaggies and flickering, but when it comes to Burnout 2 the results are amazing. It has a sharper look than GameCube and Xbox''

''Last year the softer look of GameCube was a definite advantage, but this year PlayStation 2's sharpness in combination with all the specular effects beats out GameCube.''

''GameCube, even though it looks smooth and improved over last year's version, does not have the same caliber lighting and reflection effects that the other two''

Beyond Good and Evil

https://www.ign.com/articles/2003/12...l-head-to-head

''GameCube, like with Prince of Persia, has a more vivid, bright look. It also hits higher framerates more often, but it is far too inconsistent to make it valuable. It's a runner-up to Xbox, and not too far behind. It has no progressive support. The PlayStation 2 has a really sharp, crisp display, but the lighter load on texture quality and much worse framerate makes it the most visually inferior. Over GameCube, however, it does support progressive scan, a rare treat for PS2 owners.''

NFS: Underground

https://www.ign.com/articles/2003/11...d-head-to-head

''PlayStation 2 actually provides the sharpest look of the consoles''
    ''GameCube's anti-aliasing and filtering methods leave it looking decidedly blurrier than the PlayStation 2. Not by a huge amount, but it's noticeable''

Viewtiful Joe 2

https://www.ign.com/articles/2004/12...d-to-head-mini

''PlayStation 2 is just slightly more saturated and "dirtier," meaning you've got some jagged edges and just a little less sharpness than what you have on GameCube

In the end, GameCube looks just a bit cleaner and, especially, if you've got a progressive scan (480p) capable television you can see the difference in sharpness.''

Golden eye: Rogue Agent

https://www.ign.com/articles/2004/11...t-head-to-head

GameCube Advantages
    Framerate -- Better than PS2.
    Textures -- In the distance, sometimes more detailed than PS2.
    Widescreen
    GameCube Disadvantages
    No 480p
    Weakly Ported -- Odd color; poor effects implementation like reflections
    PlayStation 2 Advantages
    Crisp Display -- Colors and edges are more crisp.
    Widescreen
    PlayStation 2 Disadvantages
    Textures -- Distant textures not as detailed, lack of filtering.
    Framerate -- Weaker than GCN and Xbox
    No 480p

Madden 2004

https://www.ign.com/articles/2003/08...4-head-to-head

''Look closely at the PlayStation 2 and you should see that it has a very sharp look to it; the downside are all the jaggies from lack of anti-aliasing.''

''And, well, as for the PlayStation 2, it by no means looks bad, in fact it's quite sharp looking.
    ''

I could stay here all night posting this, but as a good adult I need to work, It is clear that the PS2 is ''too sharper'', this occurs even in games where the PS2 is not the base platform, from 2001 with Baldurs Gate until the end of generation, the PS2 presented some of the sharperest games losing only in some games, in that specific aspect. Even if we compare exclusives Battalion wars and Socom 3.
    Last edited by SegaAMD; 12-11-2020 at 12:17 AM.

Master of Shinobi

I must've been thinking of something else. It was something to do with sprites.

But again, just take a look at a SNES launch game and you can see the console has tons of improvements you would expect from newer hardware, compared to the Genesis. How the hell could this not also be the case with PS2 vs GameCube?
    Maybe... the only SNES launch title that I remember really looking impressive was Pilotwings, because that kind of zooming and rotation had never been done on a home console. Or if it had, I hadn't seen it. But it (and F-Zero) were essentially tech demos for Mode 7, they looked cool but didn't make me want to run out and buy a SNES. Pilotwings also needed a DSP on the cart so in a way it was showing the SNES would be dogged by its slow CPU from the start.

The best title the SNES had at launch was Super Mario World and the game is hardly impressive technically, the action is slow and it has fewer colors than many Genesis games. Other than the fight with Bowser and some of the transparency effects in the ghost houses there wasn't much that showed off the hardware capabilities.

With the GC/PS2, at the time I thought the PS2 looked fine, because I was used to seeing that kind of heavy aliasing on earlier consoles and PC. Today 20 years later I look back and think the PS2 looks much worse, while the GC has aged better.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Maybe... the only SNES launch title that I remember really looking impressive was Pilotwings, because that kind of zooming and rotation had never been done on a home console. Or if it had, I hadn't seen it. But it (and F-Zero) were essentially tech demos for Mode 7, they looked cool but didn't make me want to run out and buy a SNES. Pilotwings also needed a DSP on the cart so in a way it was showing the SNES would be dogged by its slow CPU from the start.

The best title the SNES had at launch was Super Mario World and the game is hardly impressive technically, the action is slow and it has fewer colors than many Genesis games. Other than the fight with Bowser and some of the transparency effects in the ghost houses there wasn't much that showed off the hardware capabilities.

With the GC/PS2, at the time I thought the PS2 looked fine, because I was used to seeing that kind of heavy aliasing on earlier consoles and PC. Today 20 years later I look back and think the PS2 looks much worse, while the GC has aged better.
    It seems gamevet is far from the only Gen-Xer around here.

I'm thinking about Mario World, I've played the game so much I don't even need to look at pictures of it. Right away the game has more accurate colours than any Genesis game because of that 15-bit colour palette, the SNES almost has a next-gen colour palette compared to the Genesis. But yes besides that I can't think of a whole lot its doing that the Genesis couldn't do.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post

Don't agree F Zero looked incredible and the screen shots alone made me want a SNES . Mario IV also featured some lovely MODE 7 tricks on the bosses and some nice colour layering effects . The SNES launch was a big step up over the Mega Drive launch line up of Super Thundeblade and Space Harrier II in comparison

Very few consoles/Systems have really graphically impressed me on Day 1 bar the SNES, OG XBOX (Dead or Alive 3 looked insane ) N64 (Mario 64 was like the best looking game on the system ) and the PSP (Ridge Racer PSP is the most impressive launch game going )
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Who wants to see me post some interesting stuff about Burnout 3?

@Yharnamresident I'm trying to be impartial, I just seem partial because most people here already have an opinion formed and they can't revise some prejudices, ok I'm here just posting, my objective not to convince anyone, I respect the most variable opinions ok.
    @SegaAMD you convinced me. You really really not is partial. Your opinions about PS2 graphics sharp are not your opinions but ign.com opinions. LOL.
    PS: Ao citar apenas uma fonte de informação você já está sendo parcial.
    Last edited by segarule; 12-20-2020 at 06:27 AM.
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Wii is dying. Last game Just Dance 2020. Thanks for all!

SegaAMD you are always doing the worst job of being unbiased. Other members often talk about the positives and negatives of the PS2. For you its always positives.
    Repped this post for pretty much being true.

Is it that hard to admit that the Gamecube just looks better overall on a lot of games over the PS2? I'm not even trying to be that biased but yeah, The Cube just looks more modern than the PS2 does on a lot of titles.
    05/05/15

End of line.. Shining Hero gamevet's Avatar

Just stop dude. Price has nothing to do with what is inside of the GameCube. Dreamcasts were sold at a loss for most of it’s time on the market. They had hoped to recoup those losses through software sales that never happened.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

EGM: From a multiplatform perspective, we found that the GameCube and Xbox versions offered the most breathtaking visuals…was it difficult to get the game running at the same speed on the PS2?

TI: Of course, as you know, the PS2 has the least favorable amount of memory... so, Sonic Team created a basic ideal of how Heroes should play and then arranged it so that it would work on GC, XB, and PS2. So, I had to sacrifice a certain amount of technical performance in order to offer the same experience on PS2.

http://www.egmmag.com/article2/0,2053,1507899,00.asp
    Any comment ?
    "I wanted to create something that the Famicom wouldn’t have been able to do..." (Kotaro Hayashida)
    Wii is dying. Last game Just Dance 2020. Thanks for all!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Quote Originally Posted by segarule View Post
    EGM: From a multiplatform perspective, we found that the GameCube and Xbox versions offered the most breathtaking visuals…was it difficult to get the game running at the same speed on the PS2?

TI: Of course, as you know, the PS2 has the least favorable amount of memory... so, Sonic Team created a basic ideal of how Heroes should play and then arranged it so that it would work on GC, XB, and PS2. So, I had to sacrifice a certain amount of technical performance in order to offer the same experience on PS2.

Any comment ?
    what he said seems to be true and consistent with the specs.

The ps2 has a limitation in combining polygonal count and texture at the same time, just note that the ps2 games with better textures have a limited scope as in SH3 and legacy of kain defiance, games that have a great scope, polygonal count and textures like Jak. the textures work well, as the game is designed to respect the limits of the machine

In this interview Takashi Lisuka naturally spoke of vram, the ps2 has 32mb of memory to ram and vram, the 4mb are actually for the frame buffer and texture cache. The bus despite being extremely fast is a limiter for this type of highly textured game, to be able to challenge the compression of the gamecube and keep all the modeling, the ps2 certainly used 8 bit clut so the frame rate had to be reduced.

even with this effort the textures are better on the gamecube, the console appears to be using 512x512 textures and many 256x256 textures with 16 bits, between 1.8M and 3M. the forest frog stage shows this well.

this is the best hypothesis, but we can use the hypothesis of ps2 fanboys and say that the game is just a port and that there are better games on ps2 or do like the fanboys of the GC and say that this game proves the superiority of the GC over the ps2.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Boured's Avatar

Both consoles are great, sure the PS2 is not as powerful as a gamecube, but games built for it look decent or even like they barely aged a day. Such examples being Silent Hill 2 and especially Dragon Quest VIII. Though it's not so great in the port department.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

One kind-of advantage, or maybe disadvantage, for the PS2 is that its games generally benefit more from HD remasters. Dark Cloud 2 looks phenomenal in HD. I'm generally not impressed by HD remasters of Xbox games.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Ico looked amazing for the time.

A lot of ports from PS2 suffered greatly like Silent Hill 2.

Thread Information