Quantcast

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: PS2 vs Game Cube graphics?

Quote Originally Posted by 108 Stars View Post
    What?
    OOOOOOOOOOPS! Ugh!! I get so mixed up with the XBOX name branding.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    One thing that pissed me off about Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube was that it was letterboxed in a shitty 4:3 image area. The PS2 version was true 16:9 and as a result that means the game has a higher vertical resolution than the GC version. There was no excuse for the GC version to be like this.
    Well, the PS2 may have the right aspect ratio but that doesn't necessarily mean it's actually running in a higher resolution. It could be the same resolution just blown up to fit your screen.

Also does GC RE4 still leterbox itself when you use Component Cables and run in 480p?

Road Rasher

The PS2 was a Ten Ton Gorilla with forearms like tree trunks but two broken legs...

Massive fill-rate with high bandwidth memory, but a paltry 4MB Vram that was hard to work around and was a massive bottleneck for textures and resolutions before dev's got better at under the hood optimisation. Powered by an unnecessarily complicated main processor that was very powerful but had to handle many functions via the VU units that the competitions more modern GPU's handled with ease.

All topped off with good old mad Ken's pretentious marketing bullshit.... "the emotion engine!"

I have an old special edition of EDGE magazine that deals specifically with the Gamecube, there was an issue for each of the three consoles, PS2, XBOX & GC. From what I can recall from reading it with dev interviews the biggest complaints about the GC was a lack of main ram and the paltry storage offered by the proprietary optical disc format the GC used.

A lot of Dev's mentioned how nice the GC was to work with, and had a lot of easy to tap power right up front to work with, but was very inflexible which is where the XBOX and PS2 had the main advantages over it, you could literally turn on 10 or so light sources with little overhead on the system but since most of its pre-programmed either via the dev tools or the feature set of the GPU it was'nt great for flexibility.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 108 Stars View Post
    The Gamecube definitely has the better graphics. There is just no denying that. I think that Resident Evil 4 is indeed a good example. The PS2-version does come fairly close, and the PS2-scenes in the comparison vids above are worse than it looks in reality (it does look sharper than that, probably bad cables or something) but there is definitely a noteable difference. The textures are a level below the ones on GCN, and for example in caves with torches on the wall you will see fewer torches (=fewer real-time lighting effects) on PS2.
    Both vids are taken from S-video. Unfortunately Avid Free DV downgrated the bitrate to ~700kbps if I recall. This is one of many videos I have to redo from scratch now that I can maintain a high bitrate but have lost the source files. That's not a terrible thing though, I've since learned even more useful ways to compare and have been convinced that some kind of title and explanations are better than none.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Well, the PS2 may have the right aspect ratio but that doesn't necessarily mean it's actually running in a higher resolution. It could be the same resolution just blown up to fit your screen.

Also does GC RE4 still leterbox itself when you use Component Cables and run in 480p?
    The polygons on the PS2 version are rendered in 16:9 so yes, it does have a higher resolution than the GC version. That doesn't mean the textures or lighting are better, though.

And yes, it is 4:3 no matter what video connection or mode you run the game in. The GC version is gimped for no reason, unless the GC couldn't handle those graphics at 16:9 just like Nintendo claims that it couldn't handle Wii Zelda in 16:9 (though I don't think Nintendo ever actually made any 16:9 games for the GC so they could just be full of shit).

How does the aspect ratio affect resolution if both are 480i?

One is anamorphic and uses the full 720x480 resolution. One is 720x404 inside a 720x480 frame. 480 is more than 404. If you play Gamecube games on a 4:3 TV (which you shouldn't), then it wouldn't make a difference.

Okay, I see what you're saying. I haven't had the opportunity to check resolutions with overscan considered either. When I made the comparison video I was able to use the same crop setting in Virtual Dub for both videos.

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    Both vids are taken from S-video. Unfortunately Avid Free DV downgrated the bitrate to ~700kbps if I recall. This is one of many videos I have to redo from scratch now that I can maintain a high bitrate but have lost the source files. That's not a terrible thing though, I've since learned even more useful ways to compare and have been convinced that some kind of title and explanations are better than none.
    I did not notice you made the vid yourself. Generally it is good work, switching between both versions regularely rather than having one clip from PS2 followed by the same clip from GCN.
    If you can manage to get the image somewhat sharper its even better; Im a bit spoiled by only playing via RGB, but I think also on S-Video the difference should not be that big (although it is true that the PS2s video output generally is not the best).

For the future Id love to see a comparison of the Splinter Cell games. I know that the Xbox ones, especialy the last one, is leaps ahead of the PS2 one, but people always ignore the GCN version.

I'm honestly very hesitant to do any more comparisons of anything from the Dreamcast on until I get a capture device that accepts Component. S-Video is fine for standard definition videos, but I'd really rather do it from the best possible cable next time.

I compared the PS2 and Gamecube ports of Madden 2006 not too long ago. Gamecube port looks, and plays noticeably better. In fact it is even a bit better than the 360 port. Faster frame rate, and the better franchise mode.

For some odd reason, the Gamecube port of Madden 2006 is the best version of the game(Xbox port was good too). The following year, the Wii recieved, in my opinion, the best version of Madden 2007(out of the 3 current gen ports anyway). EA was taking care of Nintendo in 2005,2006. What happened?
    Last edited by Nobi; 09-28-2011 at 10:01 PM.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

Master of Shinobi

To me the Gamecube was the little system that could.
    Great selection of games, small footprint, and it had the GB Player add-on, which played Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advance games.

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

I kinda missed that whole generation when it came out because I was so turned off by games from the 32-bit era I just stopped gaming altogher. Recently though I've been back tracking and picking up a lot of PS2 and GC games. Good time to do it too since they're all so cheap now
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Wow, turned off by the 32-bit era? Well, tastes are different I guess.
    For me that era is the pinnacle of gaming. Never before or after did I enjoy games so much.

I never knew much about the GC specs but always thought the graphics looked much cleaner than the PS2. It definitely handled textures better. My impression of the PS2 is that it pushed more polys but they weren't as good looking. Seems like comparable machines with different emphases (I aways felt like Sony perhaps rushed the PS2 because of the DC, and it was a bit slapdash in the same way the Saturn was). But to my eyes, the GC was definitely superior.

I don't think either was as powerful as the Xbox though. I can't imagine the DC or PS2 doing Halo justice. It seemed like the Xbox had the best of both worlds, great textures and high polys. And the "off the shelf" PC design probably made it easy to program (especially for experience PC programmers).

Thread Information