Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Shmups...Period!

Default Your Favorite Shmups...Period!

Figured I'd ask what shmups are everyone's favorites when rounding all the systems together for a big list. Sorry if this has been done many times over!

Here are mine:

1. Radiant Silvergun - I liked this the most because the unique arsenal gave me many options on how I could play through the game each time I started, and I liked the idea of leveling up my ship as an alternative to power-ups (not that I mind those either ). Great production values for its time, and I just loved the epic boss battles!

2. Darius Gaiden - The Darius series has long remained one of my biggest favorites for its unusual enemy selection and level branching (adding much replayability), plus the power-ups that leveled up your attacks and shield were a nice touch. The best part to this game though? Definitely those bosses!

3. Raystorm - The first shmup I ever bought myself, and the game is still a nice fit for me today. I loved the added emphasis for the lock-on lasers in this installment with more targets and a special lock-on attack if you can nail the same target at once. The levels were gorgeous for their time, and the soundtrack is Zuntata goodness all the way!

4. Thunder Force V - I've played Thunder Force titles before this one, but TFV was the first game in the series I owned and beat. The weapons get a nice boost in this game, and the game's difficulty is absolutely punishing as I tried going through the whole game with my Free Range weapon. The boss battles were very fun in this game too, and I always laugh at the boss in the fourth level that tried to blow you away after you think you've destroyed it.

5. G-Darius - I know, another Darius game! But seriously, everything I liked about Darius Gaiden was brought back with an added bonus of capturing regular enemies to fight bosses with, and the option to turn them into a giant beam to nail the level boss with! (try a beam duel with the boss for added effect!)

6. Robo Aleste - A great introduction to the Aleste series for me, this game had some very creative art direction and enemy design. The weapons were very unique as well, and the story elements were cool to witness too!

7. Sokyugurentai - Easily one of the greatest games I've played for my Saturn, this game is an underrated gem that deserves more attention. The lock-on system was unique in this game with two different options, and the ship variety was nice too. I really liked the graphics in this game too, as the approach was unique to other shmups I've played.

8. Gradius V - Freaking hard, but easily the most refined entry in the series as this game sticks to its roots and improves upon everything. The graphics in this game are still great by today's standards which says a lot.

9. Ikaruga - Insanely hard, but the color-switching system was a nice touch. This game isn't about avoiding gunfire, it's about adapting to it, and that alone makes it rather groundbreaking in its own right.

10. Galaga - A tried and true arcade classic that's always fun for me to aim for a new high score on!

Honorable Mentions: Thunder Force III and IV, Elemental Master, Galactic Attack/Layer Section, Keio Flying Squadron, Cotton, Metal Black, 1941, Mars Matrix, Space Invaders, Sengoku Blade 2, Aero Fighters II, Last Resort, In The Hunt, Zanac (and the sequel for PS1), Einhander, R Type, R-Type Delta, Raiden, Gunbird 2, Giga Wing, and Gaia Seed.

Future Shmup Purchases I'm Considering - Battle Garegga, Batsugun, Kingdom Grandprix, M.U.S.H.A., Cotton 2, Border Down, Under Defeat, Zero Gunner 2, Hyper Duel, and Blast Wind.

I am also open to any recommendations for quality Shmups out there as I'm willing to play more of them these days!
    Last edited by Milkymagic; 10-06-2011 at 10:40 PM.

I quit video games ESWAT Veteran

I can't make a definitive list right now, because I've only ever played about 6 or 7 Shmups in my entire life, But I loved Thunder Force III and Bio-Hazard Battle.

I'm not a huge Shmup fan but Einhander is my favorite.

Master of Shinobi

1943 is my all time favorite.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I'm still discovering the genre as we speak. I'm sure Kollision will be able to come-up with a great list. I don't think anyone else here would be more apt to do so.

My humble few from the few I've played would have to be:

1. Fire Shark - Sega Genesis: It's raw; but it gets it right at every angle. It's everything I would want in a shmup in its rawest of forms.

2. Bio-Hazard Battle - Sega Genesis: I've yet to beat this one, but I can't get enough of it. I'm more of a vertical shmup kind of guy, but this one is an easy general-rule-bender for me.

3. Giga Wing: There are few games that I want to play over and over and over and over... This is one of them.

4. Truxton -Sega Genesis: Again, same gameplay as Fire Shark, though with slightly-less victorious music, but just as awesome, nonetheless.

5. Darwin 4081 - Sega Mega Drive JP: It's so weird. Who doesn't love weird? Alright, alright. After thorough research back when I played through it, it reminded me so much of the storyline from Yars Revenge. If you've played Yars Revenge after reading the story, then you'd probably appreciate this one a lot more after reading it's own story. It's simpler than the one in Yars Revenge, but it's so fantastic it's awesome. The gameplay can leave you with a dry mouth at times, but it's juicy in the right places, nonetheless.

6. Kolibri - Sega 32X: It's 2 Player Co-Op!

7. Thunder Force II:
    I haven't beaten this one either, but I can't help but be drawn to the early genny titles with their awesome gameplay and graphics. That's right, I said "Awesome!".

8. 1943 - Arcade: This game is just as delicious as Fire Shark.

9. Android Assault - Sega CD: Yet another sidescrolling shmup I don't mind saying I love.

10. Centipede - ANYWHERE: I think I've played this shmup more than any other in my life. It counts as a shmup, right?
    Last edited by QuickSciFi; 10-06-2011 at 11:59 PM.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Shooters aren't my favorite genre, so it is easy for me to make a list.

Asteroids 2600 - My first time
    R-Type - Probably my favorite, either for Master System or TG16
    Life Force NES - Two Player Coop cherry pop for me
    Whip Rush - Revival of Shooter interest for me
    Thunder Force III - Graphics weren't great, but the music and gameplay were
    Sub Terrania - This game rocks to no end
    Soul Feace - Too many great boss fights and tunes to ignore
    Galactic Attack - Second time to fight through an atmosphere reentry, Target Earth was the first
    Thunder Force V Saturn - Beautiful, awesome music, great gameplay, PS1 version is dull, doesn't get better

Here are mine:

Gate of Thunder (best shmup ever!)
    Lords of Thunder
    Thunder Force 3
    MUSHA
    Blazing Lazers
    Raiden
    Truxton
    Lightening Force
    R-Type

Banned by Administrators

Ikaruga but only because its very easy. I dont get the whole omg ikargua is hard. Its mindlessly easy. Its not even considered a bullet hell. But I like it because its fairly easy looks good and has some pretty good gameplay mechanics.

Android Assault, Sol Feace, Kolibri (my favorite 32X game no less), and Life Force were four other games I forgot about and also liked. Definitely some great choices thus far!

Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    Ikaruga but only because its very easy. I dont get the whole omg ikargua is hard. Its mindlessly easy. Its not even considered a bullet hell. But I like it because its fairly easy looks good and has some pretty good gameplay mechanics.
    Depends on your ability to adapt. Like I said, the game isn't so much about avoiding gunfire as it is adjusting to it.

Of course, I'm no Shmup pro either, I happen to be good at certain titles, but average or worse at others. Guess it depends on your ability.

Either way, I'm still a fan of the genre.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Milkymagic View Post
    Android Assault, Sol Feace, Kolibri (my favorite 32X game no less), and Life Force were four other games I forgot about and also liked. Definitely some great choices thus far!

Depends on your ability to adapt. Like I said, the game isn't so much about avoiding gunfire as it is adjusting to it.

Of course, I'm no Shmup pro either, I happen to be good at certain titles, but average or worse at others. Guess it depends on your ability.

Either way, I'm still a fan of the genre.
    The way I look at it is like this. I only have to avoid half the bullets of a normal game and the ones I dont have to avoid give me infinite powered up shots.

Master of Shinobi

Never cared for the bullet hell shooters.

Retrovertigo Wildside Expert hashiriya1's Avatar

Ibara (PS2)
    Shin-Akai Katana (XBOX360)
    Battle Garegga (Saturn)
    Mushihimesama Futari (XBOX360)
    Harmful Park (PS1)

Go demon or go home Master of Shinobi AD2101's Avatar

No one said DoDonpachi yet? For shame. Depending on the mood I'm in, its a top 5 game for me all time.

Zero Wing, Hellfire, Thunder Force IV, Sokyu, Eliminate Down, and Mars Matrix also make my list. I just picked up Radiant Silvergun on XBLA so hopefully I'll know where I stand on that one soon.

Not in order (except the first 2):

1. Gate of Thunder (DUO) - Best Horizontal Shmup of all time.

2. Spriggan (DUO) - Best Vertical Shmup of all time.

3. Lords of Thunder (DUO) - Totally awesome, love the setting.

4. ThunderForce 4 (MD) - I don't like the slowdown, but at the same time I'm really thankful for it.

5. Robo Aleste (SCD) - Musha, but more serious, and harder.

6. Sylpheed (SCD) - The 3D effect is a lot more epic than starfox, despite being a "cheap" trick.

7. Axelay (SNES) - Also uses a cheap gimmick, but it's a really fun game.

8. Blazing Star (NG) - Will make your thumbs bleed.

9. Soldier Blade (TG16) - The best game on the HuCard format.

10. Disposable Hero (AMIGA) - This game is really growing on me. It probably shouldn't be here but it is considering the system it's on.

11. Android Assault (SCD) - Really fun from time to time.

12. Cho Ren Sha (X68K) - This game is HARDCORE!

13. Wings of Death (ST) - Amiga version sucks.

14. Rude Breaker (PC98) - Can't believe it's only 16 colors

15. Flame Zapper Kotsujin (PC98) - Unbelievably good.

16. Agony (AMIGA) - I just love the setting and awesome parallax scrolling

17. Lethal Excess (ST) - A lot of people don't like this game, but it's still great, just not as much as WoD.

18. Soul Star (SCD) - For the desert and volcano stages... Far more epic than anything in starfox, shame it doesn't have that quality in the rest of the game.

19. Gleylancer (MD) - Love the music, and the game's not bad.

20. Sapphire (DUO) - Only the sound effects suck in this game, everything else is awesome. Shows the true power of the PC Engine.
    Last edited by Kamahl; 10-07-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Shake well before use Master of Shinobi Robotwo's Avatar

Wow , no love for Tyrian or Tyrian 2k in here? seriously? D:

Thread Information