Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Shmups...Period!

Rogue Master of Shinobi Pulstar's Avatar

Ikaruga, Raiden II and Gunbird 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    Ikaruga but only because its very easy. I dont get the whole omg ikargua is hard. Its mindlessly easy. Its not even considered a bullet hell. But I like it because its fairly easy looks good and has some pretty good gameplay mechanics.
    This post is a joke, right?

As for the topic my picks are, in no particular order, Mars Matrix, Darius II, Mushihimesama, Giga Wing, Gradius V, Axelay and Zero Wing.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    This post is a joke, right?

As for the topic my picks are, in no particular order, Mars Matrix, Darius II, Mushihimesama, Giga Wing, Gradius V, Axelay and Zero Wing.
    No not at all. Ikaruga is easy. I don't get where this overratedness of its hardness came from. Go play some cave games almost every single one makes ikaruga look like a cake walk or a Touhou game.

oh, hello there WCPO Agent Robivy64's Avatar

DoDonPachi: Dai Ou Jou

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    ...Go play some cave games...
    I take it you don't know who Kollision is.

Do you have TP??? Raging in the Streets Cornholio857's Avatar

What a manly game.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    I take it you don't know who Kollision is.
    Obviously I dont. I just think bullet hell games are harder than tactical thought shmups are. Just the amount of focus you need to see the paths in bullet hells drive me insane.

Clessy, in what sense is Ikaruga that much easier than Cave games?
    It's just that it doesn't make sense to me. I can't barely make it to stage 4 in Ikaruga. Ikaruga is bullet hell IMO.

Make objective statements, but please disregard the ability to continue.

Gate of Thunder
    Lords of Thunder
    Air Zonk
    Super Air Zonk
    Macross 2036
    Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams
    Star Parodia
    Thunder Force IV
    Zero Wing
    Forgotten Worlds
    Bio Hazard Battle
    Super Fantasy Zone
    Undead Line
    Soldier Blade
    Spriggan

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Kollision View Post
    Clessy, in what sense is Ikaruga that much easier than Cave games?
    It's just that it doesn't make sense to me. I can't barely make it to stage 4 in Ikaruga. Ikaruga is bullet hell IMO.

Make objective statements, but please disregard the ability to continue.
    If you ignore the score and chaining component of the game it becomes broken and easy. Most of the time you can simply swap the correct color in ample time to just absorb all the bullets. Also since you can constantly absorb the bullets you constantly can use your powered blast clearing most things on the screen if it gets to hecktic. The enemies that fire the huge lasers are pretty much a free energy fill up. I think the average person with pratice should be able to beat the first 3 stages without dying. Stage 4 is by far the hardest. Stage 5 is only hard because of the boss. Another thing thats pretty easy about ikargua is you don't have to kill much as each section is over very quickly you can simply just avoid fighting stuff if you dont want to. Change to the color of whatever is on the screen the most and get in a spot where the least bullets come. Ionno I've got a dreamcast save with something like 90 hours. I guess once you play anything that much it becomes easy. But this one has always baffled me as I find it as one of the vastly easier ones. Another one people say is hard that I found myself doing very well in in a short ammount of time is Fast Striker. Within 2 days I could beat the easiest mode without dying, normal mode without dying until the final boss ( hard as shit ) and maniac mode until the final stage.

Not a HUGE Shmup fan, but I love the original Aero Fighters and Gradius.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Fair enough, Clessy.
    I for once can't ignore chaining, that's why I have a gripe with Ikaruga.

Not in any order, except for the first 3.

1. GATE OF THUNDER-no competition here. The best Horizontal shooter ever. This is the game that got me interested in shooters, and is the epitamiy of a perfect shooter.

2.RAIDEN-The best vertical shooter ever made. The game lacks in presentation, but the game play is sublime. I could not put it down until I cracked it. You really feel that your fuckin' shit up.

3.GRADIUS GAIDEN-Why has no one mentioned this awesome shooter? All aspects come together to create a unforgettable experience. If it wasn't for GoT, this would be the best Hori.

4.GAIARES-I am sorry for the psychological harm to genesis fans, but this is the best shooter on the genesis; Nothing comes close to this one! MUSHA you say? I'll just say your a shmups noob.

5.AXELAY-I thought about it, and came to the conclusion that this is the best Snes shooter. The atmosphere and the music in this game is unreal. Classic!

6.BIO-METAL-It's really too bad that people judge this game on its music and the first impression. If you play through it, you will discover a unique and intense shooter. The GAM feature is awesome!

7. 1941-Simply, the most addictive arcade shooter I've played. This is a tough shooter, But you will get further and further with each play. Classic!

8. ROBO ALESTE-Why do people consider this inferior to MUSHA is beyond me. This is everything MUSHA should have been. The music is a amazing and unique, and the story--you heard me right--is awesome!

9.R-TYPE-This is a no brainier; R-type is an classic. Super addictive and fun!

10.SUPER STAR SOLDIER The definitive best Hucard shooter! The game play is sublime and the difficulty is just perfect.

11.GRADIUS V If there is a modern shooter that melts my heart, it's Gradius v. We need more shooters like this. Fuck Bullet hell vertical shooters and Fuck cave; I don't regret saying this.
    Last edited by Curryman123; 10-07-2011 at 10:55 PM.

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

Darius Twin - SNES
    Tyrian - PC
    Thunder Force IV - Genesis
    Undeadline - Genesis
    Android Assault - Sega CD

In no particular order.
    Ready to print game covers and cart labels: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gm45wyxr3xvv

Quote Originally Posted by Curryman123 View Post
    Not in any order, except for the first 3.

1. GATE OF THUNDER-no competition here. The best Horizontal shooter ever. This is the game that got me interested in shooters, and is the epitamiy of a perfect shooter.

2.RAIDEN-The best vertical shooter ever made. The game lacks in presentation, but the game play is sublime. I could not put it down until I cracked it. You really feel that your fuckin' shit up.

3.GRADIUS GAIDEN-Why has no one mentioned this awesome shooter? All aspects come together to create a unforgettable experience. If it wasn't for GoT, this would be the best Hori.

4.GAIARES-I am sorry for the psychological harm to genesis fans, but this is the best shooter on the genesis; Nothing comes close to this one! MUSHA you say? I'll just say your a shmups noob.

5.AXELAY-I thought about it, and came to the conclusion that this is the best Snes shooter. The atmosphere and the music in this game is unreal. Classic!

6.BIO-METAL-It's really too bad that people judge this game on its music and the first impression. If you play through it, you will discover a unique and intense shooter. The GAM feature is awesome!

7. 1941-Simply, the most addictive arcade shooter I've played. This is a tough shooter, But you will get further and further with each play. Classic!

8. ROBO ALESTE-Why do people consider this inferior to MUSHA is beyond me. This is everything MUSHA should have been. The music is a amazing and unique, and the story--you heard me right--is awesome!

9.R-TYPE-This is a no brainier; R-type is an classic. Super addictive and fun!

10.SUPER STAR SOLDIER The definitive best Hucard shooter! The game play is sublime and the difficulty is just perfect.

11.GRADIUS V Once again, why the fuck has no mentioned this yet? If there is a modern shooter that melts my heart, it's Gradius v. We need more shooters like this. Fuck Bullet hell vertical shooters and Fuck cave; I don't regret saying this.
    I totally forgot I had Gaiares, that game was awesome!

I have yet to beat it however...and it is certainly a worthy challenge!

Also, in my post in the beginning of this thread, I mentioned Robo Aleste and Gradius V in case you were wondering.

As for Gradius Gaiden, I'm guilty of not playing that one yet.

And on another note, I liked DonDonPachi for PS2, so I'd vouch for that being a good one. Haven't played DonPachi or DoDonPachi yet however, but I'll get around to those too in due time...

And finally, I still stand that Ikaruga is a simple matter of being able to adapt to the bullet speed to succeed. I need more practice in that one, but it's still one of the best made shmups I've ever played in my humble opinion.
    Last edited by Milkymagic; 10-07-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Thread Information