Quantcast

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 62

Thread: Your Favorite Shmups...Period!

  1. #31
    Old Sega is where it's at Wildside Expert Mykale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada, Montreal
    Age
    33
    Posts
    208
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    my fav would have to be the raiden jet fighter series on the arcade, had best times on that game. I think i usually played Raiden Fighters 2 - 2000 Operation Hell Dive the most

    2nd would be ray storm, even tho i haven't played it a lot i still consider it the 2nd fav. I replayed the demo i have all the time when i got a psx back in the day

    now im going to say TFIV is 3rd

    probably gonna update this iunno

  2. #32
    Master of Shinobi Curryman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,446
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milkymagic View Post
    I totally forgot I had Gaiares, that game was awesome!

    I have yet to beat it however...and it is certainly a worthy challenge!

    Also, in my post in the beginning of this thread, I mentioned Robo Aleste and Gradius V in case you were wondering.

    As for Gradius Gaiden, I'm guilty of not playing that one yet.

    And on another note, I liked DonDonPachi for PS2, so I'd vouch for that being a good one. Haven't played DonPachi or DoDonPachi yet however, but I'll get around to those too in due time...

    And finally, I still stand that Ikaruga is a simple matter of being able to adapt to the bullet speed to succeed. I need more practice in that one, but it's still one of the best made shmups I've ever played in my humble opinion.
    Thanks for mentioning gradius 5, and in this case I will edit my accusation.
    I like donpachi too, But I can't stand modern bullet hell shooters that aim to overwhelm the player with 1000 bullets.
    I played Death Smiles and the whole game just felt too hectic and distorting for my taste. Cave should put some soul into their shooters, because you rarely establish any intimate connection with these shooters, like you do with older shmups. It's mostly about high scores and chains.

  3. #33
    Wildside Expert Milkymagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    203
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Curryman123 View Post
    Thanks for mentioning gradius 5, and in this case I will edit my accusation.
    I like donpachi too, But I can't stand modern bullet hell shooters that aim to overwhelm the player with 1000 bullets.
    I played Death Smiles and the whole game just felt too hectic and distorting for my taste. Cave should put some soul into their shooters, because you rarely establish any intimate connection with these shooters, like you do with older shmups. It's mostly about high scores and chains.
    No prob, I had to get Gradius V back in the day because I liked shmups and it happened to be for a reasonable price. Needless to say, it was quite a bargain for what I got!

    And I agree with what you're saying for modern shmups. A lot of my big favorite shmups had a strong presence with me because they were not only very playable for me, but I also got a nice visual/audio experience to go with my shooting. This doesn't mean I don't enjoy getting a high score, but more like I know I'm not good enough to get a great score with where I'm at so I focus more on just enjoying the game and getting as far as I can within it.

    Speaking of which, I still have yet to beat Gradius V for liking it so much, but it's a game that definitely rewards you for getting better at it, that's for sure!

    Also, hooray for Raystorm shoutout from gglol!

  4. #34
    not a real fan Raging in the Streets old man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    I live in the moment
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,209
    Rep Power
    94

    Default

    Lords of Thunder
    Dodonpachi
    Gunbird2
    Thunderforce V (that's right, five!)
    Elemental Master

    There's plenty more, but these are the main ones.

  5. #35
    Master of Shinobi cheaterdragon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,426
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    I don't have a favourite, or I atleast don't think I do. I haven't had one that I acctually liked a lot.
    Owner of the Nintendo 64 fansite Micro-64.
    Join us in our Facebook Group.

  6. #36
    Master of Shinobi sketch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,592
    Rep Power
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Curryman123 View Post
    Not in any order, except for the first 3.

    1. GATE OF THUNDER-no competition here. The best Horizontal shooter ever. This is the game that got me interested in shooters, and is the epitamiy of a perfect shooter.

    2.RAIDEN-The best vertical shooter ever made. The game lacks in presentation, but the game play is sublime. I could not put it down until I cracked it. You really feel that your fuckin' shit up.

    3.GRADIUS GAIDEN-Why has no one mentioned this awesome shooter? All aspects come together to create a unforgettable experience. If it wasn't for GoT, this would be the best Hori.

    4.GAIARES-I am sorry for the psychological harm to genesis fans, but this is the best shooter on the genesis; Nothing comes close to this one! MUSHA you say? I'll just say your a shmups noob.

    5.AXELAY-I thought about it, and came to the conclusion that this is the best Snes shooter. The atmosphere and the music in this game is unreal. Classic!

    6.BIO-METAL-It's really too bad that people judge this game on its music and the first impression. If you play through it, you will discover a unique and intense shooter. The GAM feature is awesome!

    7. 1941-Simply, the most addictive arcade shooter I've played. This is a tough shooter, But you will get further and further with each play. Classic!

    8. ROBO ALESTE-Why do people consider this inferior to MUSHA is beyond me. This is everything MUSHA should have been. The music is a amazing and unique, and the story--you heard me right--is awesome!

    9.R-TYPE-This is a no brainier; R-type is an classic. Super addictive and fun!

    10.SUPER STAR SOLDIER The definitive best Hucard shooter! The game play is sublime and the difficulty is just perfect.

    11.GRADIUS V If there is a modern shooter that melts my heart, it's Gradius v. We need more shooters like this. Fuck Bullet hell vertical shooters and Fuck cave; I don't regret saying this.
    Rep'd for truth. Gate of Thunder is literally the perfect horizontal shmup. The graphics, level design, music, weapon system, everything is perfection (or as close as a game can get). And I've never seen the appeal of Cave games; they don't do it for me.

  7. #37
    Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,637
    Rep Power
    143

    Default

    The japanese version of Bio Metal has great music.

  8. #38
    Hero of Algol
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,113
    Rep Power
    190

    Default

    Unsorted:
    Bari-Arm
    Robo Aleste
    Gradius II
    Darius II
    Aero Blasters
    Lords Of Thunder
    Raiden
    R-Type

  9. #39
    Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    4,171
    Rep Power
    61

    Default

    Oh man this isn't going to be easy. These aren't in any particular order since that would be hard for me to do. I'm sure I'm going to forget a bunch of games I'd like to list. I suppose I could judge this by looking at what shmups I play the most when I get the itch.

    Tyrian 2k: (PC) I was a classic DOS gamer for much of my youth and Tyrian was a perfect example of how PCs added layers of complexity to games back then compared to consoles. I wish there were more shmups like this with awesome stories, customization, and non-linear gameplay. It does for shmups what another great DOS title, One Must Fall 2097, does for fighters. It's so simple yet so complex. Unfortunately it's maybe a bit easy once you know what you're doing and totally upgraded.

    Giga Wing: (DC) I'll tell you right now that I'm not a big fan of bullet hell shooters so you won't see some of the popular shmups mentioned in this list. They all look the same to me and I'm not interested in all the flashing and pulsing lights of hundreds of bullets filling the screen in geometric patterns. It's can get a bit boring to me. It's not that I don't like them they're just not among my favorites. Giga Wing is an exception though because of its gameplay mechanics, and really you could probably include Mars Matrix in here too. I like Giga Wing a bit more even though I think Mars Matrix might be the better game because I love Giga Wing's personality and graphical style.

    Thunder Force III/IV: (GEN) I couldn't decide which one I like more. I enjoy TF3's gameplay a little more but the graphics and action in TF4 is second to none. Both of these games are masterpieces of the horizontal shmup genre. They're simply pulse pounding classics.

    Bangai-O: (DC) Some people count this as a shmup, some people don't. Regardless it's one of my favorite shooter games in existence. It's just pure, visceral manic fun. It's the ultimate evolution of the Robotron 2084 play-style and wicked fun as a result.

    Galaga: (ARC) This at least deserves a mention as it's probably the earliest shmup-style game I can remember playing. It never gets old either. I could play this game for hours and not be bored.

    MUSHA: (GEN) One of my favorite shmups of all time. I get in the zone when I'm playing this one. I still have a hard time believing it's such an early Genesis game.

    Under Defeat: (DC) I actually pretty much suck at this one but it's beautiful and a blast to play, and not just because of the amazing explosions which are a big reason I really enjoy playing this.

    Lifeforce: (NES) This is mostly thanks to the memories I have of playing two-player mode back in the day with my friends. It was really awesome to sore through a game like this with a buddy and I've got lots of fond feelings for this title because of it.

    Ikaruga: (DC/GCN) I know it's a little cliche to name either this or Radiant Silvergun but they're at the top of many people's lists for a reason. They're beautiful, well polished games with unique mechanics that set them apart from the crowd. I am admittedly pretty terrible at Ikaruga but playing it is still a real joy. The bullet hell nature doesn't take away from the character of the game as much as I feel it does in similar titles. Ikaruga manages to feel like its own special snowflake in a genre that often languishes in the creativity department.

    Fire Shark: (GEN) Truxton comes close to taking the place of this one but I really adore Fire Shark. I'm not even sure why there's just something undeniably fun about it. The graphics aren't stupendous and the gameplay seems to be pretty average fare yet I often find myself picking this game out of my Genesis collection far more often than any other shmup.

    Gradius V: (PS2) Oh boy another Treasure game, I feel bad listing so many. I've never been a big fan of the Gradius series save for its offshoot Lifeforce which is mainly for the multi-player. I think I was spoiled by the Thunder Force games which I enjoy a lot more. Gradius V not only has multi-player but is one of the coolest designed horizontal shmups I've ever played. It requires quite a bit of memorization but it takes everything that was cool about the Gradius series and turns the dial up to eleven. Konami knew what they were doing when they handed over the reigns to Treasure for this one.

  10. #40
    The Man Beyond Bionics Wildside Expert InfraMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    130
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    I've always had a soft spot for Keio Flying Squadron, for some reason... it's not the best shmup by any means, but I'm pretty sure it's the one I've replayed more than any other.

    I also really like the Trouble Shooter/Battle Mania games, although they're a little on the easy side.

    If I had to pick an all-time favorite, though, I'd probably have to be really boring and predictable and say Radiant Silvergun.

  11. #41
    The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,162
    Rep Power
    40

    Default

    Right now, I'd say my favorite shooter is Deathsmiles. Once you get past the whole loli thing it really is fantastic. I may change that answer in a bit, as I have a J360 and some Cave goodies coming today.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

  12. #42
    Firebomber7 Outrunner Breetai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    532
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    My tops, in no specific order:

    -The four Parodius games (not including the MSX one). Sexy Parodius is my favourite.
    -The PCE Soldier games. Final Soldier is tops for me.
    -Gradius games. Gradius Gaiden is tops, although V is right up there. Honourable mention to Salamander.
    -R-Type and R-Type III
    -Gate of Thunder
    -Winds/Lords of Thunder
    -Spriggan is sweet.
    -Thunder Force series (Thunder Force III and IV are tops)
    -DonPachi series (DoDonPachi is the one I have the most experience with)
    -I do appreciate the Raiden series. I have a soft spot for Raiden II.
    -I find Air Zonk to be a lot of fun.
    -Silpheed (honestly, not as good as the others, but I still enjoy playing it. I get mesmorized by the graphics the Sega CD put out. Similar with Sapphire, to a lesser extent)
    -Galaga is a lot of fun. Galaga '88 (aka. '90) being the one I play.

    Speaking of Sapphire, I don't really get all the hype. It's not in my top games. Neither is Radiant Silvergun or Ikaruga. I like both, but I think they suffer a bit from Final Fantasy VII syndrome among shoot 'em up fans. Yes, I have owned all three (although the care4data boot in the case of Sapphire).

    Of course there are others, but these are the ones I constantly go back to.

  13. #43
    Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,637
    Rep Power
    143

    Default

    The biggest feature of sapphire is that it has multiplayer.

  14. #44
    Wildside Expert Milkymagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    203
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I wasn't sure if Bangai-o was considered a shmup or not so I didn't list it. But if it was, then it would be number two for me personally. (I guess I've always considered it an action game beforehand)

    Also, the allure behind Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun isn't just their production values, but also how different they play in comparison to other shmups as far as how one can gain a high score and attack enemies as well.

    I've never played Final Fantasy VII (the only one I've ever beaten was VI, and the only other FF game I've played aside from that one was XI), so I'm not sure what Final Fantasy VII syndrome is. Actually, I think when it comes to Squaresoft, I generally play titles that aren't Final Fantasy from them to begin with because I'm eccentric like that.

    Then again, I did discover gems like the Saga Frontier series and Grandia by going this route.

  15. #45
    Firebomber7 Outrunner Breetai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    532
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milkymagic View Post
    ...I'm not sure what Final Fantasy VII syndrome is...
    I guess I made the term up. Basically, my idea is that FFVII often gets labed, "the greatest RPG ever." Likewise, Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga often are labelled, the "greatest shoot 'em up ever." I do like them, but I generally prefer playing most of the games I listed in my above post. They failed to live up to that "greatest ever" title.

    For the record, I feel the same about Mario 64 and Zelda: OoT.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •