Quantcast

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Shmups...Period!

Galaga all the way.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

Megadrive Maniac Outrunner Crackdown's Avatar

Easily one of my favourite shooters on any system
    To be this good takes AGES, to be this good takes SEGA!

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    I guess I made the term up. Basically, my idea is that FFVII often gets labed, "the greatest RPG ever." Likewise, Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga often are labelled, the "greatest shoot 'em up ever." I do like them, but I generally prefer playing most of the games I listed in my above post. They failed to live up to that "greatest ever" title.

For the record, I feel the same about Mario 64 and Zelda: OoT.
    On the same note there's people who thumb their nose at Final Fantasy VII because of its popularity.

I get what you mean though, and I also feel this way about Ocarina of Time.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    On the same note there's people who thumb their nose at Final Fantasy VII because of its popularity.

I get what you mean though, and I also feel this way about Ocarina of Time.
    Problem with FF7 is its not time less. It feels like shit going and playing it now. Its probably one of the worst aged games ever.

If you didnt play it when it was brand new I cant imagine how you could enjoy it. Which isnt true of say ff8 or 9 which are totally fine still and every ff before 7 is also still playable because 2d simply doesnt age unless we're talking pre nes.

FF7 has better gameplay/story than 8.
    Both are awful compared to 4 or even worse, to 6.

EDIT: Even pre-nes is OK if the system was pushed hard . I don't mind playing some atari 2600 games, though they really need to be pushing the system for me to stand them. Some Atari 8bit and Commodore 64 games too, which are also pre-nes.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    FF7 has better gameplay/story than 8.
    Both are awful compared to 4 or even worse, to 6.

EDIT: Even pre-nes is OK if the system was pushed hard . I don't mind playing some atari 2600 games, though they really need to be pushing the system for me to stand them. Some Atari 8bit and Commodore 64 games too, which are also pre-nes.
    Just saying that going pre nes you sometimes feel the graphics are limiting the gameplay. I've never felt that after nes that any systems gameplay was limited due to its graphical abilities. Im saying this to a point. Don't bring up something stupid like saying fps were not possible or that 3d games werent because thats just obvious.

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

To many to think of! AGHHHH MY HEAD!

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Part II

LORDS OF THUNDER-I feel very bad for not including this in first list, but LOT is one of the best Hori shooters no doubt. I remember shelling out 50 bucks for the US version like 5-6 years ago.

STAR PARODIER-The best....Parody shooter....I have ever played. No lie! This game is a perfect example of why I miss old school Japanese shmups. Sob....

Gradius III (SNES)-This will surprise many, But this is my favorite old school 16-bit Gradius game. The difficulty is just right, and the customization of power ups is a feature that adds a lot of replay value to an already brilliant game.

Sexy parodius-The best game in the series, and one of the best parody games ever made. I am not perverted, But this game sure is wacky and off the wall. This needs a US release!!

Nexzr (PC engine)-An absolutely great game. Hard at times, but all it requires is some dedication and memorization.

I see Galaga on here a lot, which is a great game and a personal favorite. I know definition of "shmup" varies; my personal one is that of scrolling, ship shooters. It's rather narrow, I know However, if I were to broaden my definition to shooters more generically (I still won't put run'n'gun in the shmup category), I'd have to add:

Galaga
    Asteroids
    Scramble
    Defender

The last two actually do fall into my narrow default definition of shmup, but I simply forgot them. All four games are classic arcade games that ate a lot of my quarters. Looking back on it, outside of Pacman, most arcade games I played frequently as a kid were shooters of some sort or another.

Master of Shinobi TheSonicRetard's Avatar

I'm a huge shmup fan but I'll just state my two favorite - my absolute favorite SHMUP is, without a doubt, THUNDER FORCE III. I got it, along with Sonic 1 and Columns, for Christmas in 1991. I didn't care much for Columns (and obviously I loved Sonic) but Thunder Force III blew me away. That wailing synth in Venus Fire is forever burned into my brain, along with the sin-wave distortion on the background. Simply awesome.

The other game I'll mention has a story associated with it. The very first video game I can remember specifically asking for, and setting out and buying, was Fantasy Zone II for the Sega Master System. My family had picked up the original sometime shortly after we got the SMS, and it quickly became one of my favorite games on the console. As we got more games, I'd scan the flyer/poster that came with them that advertised new games, and one caught my eye - Fantasy Zone II. I remember absolutely everything about picking that game up on my birthday - we got it from Toys R' Us, they actually didn't have it on the sales floor because they were shifting away from the SMS, but found a copy in the back (inside that magical room where all the games were stored that every kid wished they could have spent 10 minutes in) and we went to burger king afterwards.

With that said, it might surprise you when I say that Fantasy Zone II is NOT my 2nd favorite SHMUP of all time. No no, while I love Fantasy Zone II a lot, that honor goes to the much more recent FANTASY ZONE II DX, from the Sega Ages Collection. What a completely fantastic remake it is, it is very easily one of the greatest games made in the last 5 years. Such an underrated hidden gem - if it were released on Wiiware, PSN, or XBLA, it would have become a big hit I'm sure. My love for that game knows no bound.
    Last edited by TheSonicRetard; 10-10-2011 at 02:40 AM.
    A retarded Sonic.

Nothing beats Souky, NOTHING !!!!

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

5200 controllers repaired Master of Shinobi tz101's Avatar

Taito Darius arcade, 1986. It was three screens wide, seemlessly integrated, and my jaw almost hit the floor the day I first saw it at the arcade. Nothing else comes close to its amazing look and play.
    It is finished!

PunkicCyborg Road Rasher ELabit's Avatar

Gunhed

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tz101 View Post
    Taito Darius arcade, 1986. It was three screens wide, seemlessly integrated, and my jaw almost hit the floor the day I first saw it at the arcade. Nothing else comes close to its amazing look and play.
    I agree Darius is a REALLY wicked cool arcade cabinet, it's probably why I find the home versions so disappointing even though they're not that bad.

Thread Information