Quantcast

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Genesis games that had a definitive version on Sega CD

Wildside Expert

I tested the cd-rom image in Fusion and there is some slowdown when the game starts but the actual gameplay feels "faster".
    Maybe this is the result of being emulated and not using the real hardware?

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

I've only played it on real hardware; I don't ever recall it feeling faster, but when there were enough enemies on the screen it would start to chug. This can happen even before stage 5 where they suddenly throw 853 simultaneous enemies at you. I was playing on one of the upper difficulties, but even on the hardest setting the cart version doesn't seem to slow down until you're on the ship (I seem to recall the SCD version having issues as early as stage 3, if not earlier).

It's also worth mentioning that the Golden Axe port doesn't allow 2 players, so there's another strike against the CD collection. Revenge of Shinobi seemed identical to me, though, so at least there's that.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

"Frames per second" and "slowdown" aren't the same thing, even in 3D games. 2D console games are designed to run at a locked framerate and never drop frames. When the cpu can't keep up it slows things down without dropping a single frame.

The distinction is important for instances such as the CD Arcade Classics disc, because the original Streets of Rage doesn't run at a typical 60fps, it runs at 30fps... but also suffers from slowdown.

I believe that Joe Redifer checked the differences between the cart and CD versions years ago, probably before Game Sack. For the most part the CD versions are downgrades if different at all.

I doubt that Streets of Rage performs any different unless it's 1 player only (can't remember).
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Wildside Expert

The "Sega Classic Arcade Collection (5 in 1)" for the Sega CD does include the definitive version of Super Monaco GP at the very least, as the scratchy voices from the cartridge version have been improved as well as the music. The other games either have issues, such as no 2 player on Golden Axe, or they are simply ports of the cartridge versions with no improvements.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsox2013 View Post
    The "Sega Classic Arcade Collection (5 in 1)" for the Sega CD does include the definitive version of Super Monaco GP at the very least, as the scratchy voices from the cartridge version have been improved as well as the music. The other games either have issues, such as no 2 player on Golden Axe, or they are simply ports of the cartridge versions with no improvements.
    I did not know that about Super Monaco GP on the Sega Classic Arcade Collection, but just to correct you on a couple of things, Golden Axe boasts the music from the arcade game, rather than the Mega Drive music, and both Streets of Rage and Revenge of Shinobi have improved voice samples. Well, improved to a degree anyway...

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    "Frames per second" and "slowdown" aren't the same thing, even in 3D games. 2D console games are designed to run at a locked framerate and never drop frames. When the cpu can't keep up it slows things down without dropping a single frame.
    Not entirely true, 2d consoles can "drop frames" too, in the same exact way that 3d consoles do. Which is technically not "dropping" a frame, but being unable to refresh the screen contents for the upcoming frame before the TV starts displaying it. The next frame isn't dropped, it just comes too late. It's the frame rate that drops as a consequence.

Slowing down the action won't mean that the cpu (or even gpu) can keep the framerate up, since it still has to compute so much action in one frame that it can't keep up. It's just that the slowdown is the same rate as the drop in the frame rate. Otherwise we are talking about artificial slow motion.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    Not entirely true, 2d consoles can "drop frames" too, in the same exact way that 3d consoles do. Which is technically not "dropping" a frame, but being unable to refresh the screen contents for the upcoming frame before the TV starts displaying it. The next frame isn't dropped, it just comes too late. It's the frame rate that drops as a consequence.

Slowing down the action won't mean that the cpu (or even gpu) can keep the framerate up, since it still has to compute so much action in one frame that it can't keep up. It's just that the slowdown is the same rate as the drop in the frame rate. Otherwise we are talking about artificial slow motion.
    This sounds like it's just semantics, but generally "dropping" frames refers to frameskip. If you're running to the right and the framerate drops from 60 fps to 30 fps, one of two things happens. Either half the frames are dropped and your sprite moves the same distance per second (or twice the distance per frame). Or if frames aren't dropped, the game slows down and your sprite moves half the distance per second (or the same distance per frame). A frame that takes too long isn't dropped, it's delayed.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

From 8-bit generation onward, 2D games running at 60fps without dropping any frames became standard. The odd exception running at 30fps usually stood out and didn't look right.

Younger generations also like to use "lag" to describe slowdown, frame drops and all kinds of random things. It only fosters further confusion and historical revision.

Not dropping frames is so important in 2D ganeplay. Our minds adjust to slowdown in realtime. A missed frame leads to performing a move based on incorrect information.

Typical 8 & 16-bit games move elements at specific pixel based integers. These are the true framerates of gameplay. The framerate maintains the same rate/integer of pixels of movement during slowdown.

3D games can have slowdown, the way you described zyrobs, which is the same as classic 2D games. When frames get dropped and the "framerate" takes a hit in 3D games, the speed is maintained but you literally have fewer picture-per-movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training McValdemar's Avatar

I bought MegaCD just few years ago and I remember was my dream machine that I couldn't afford back then.
    I managed in the last two years to buy a few titles and I was amazed how good they are.
    Speaking of "best on Sega CD" I would definitely name:

- Shadow of the Beast II. Simply fantastic. The game is renown and bound to the Amiga, but the quality of the Sega CD version is incredible. Added cutscenes, completely dubbed, I just regret the guitar when you die. Plus the Sega CD cover is awesome.

- Eye of Beholder. The music is superb addition and with the mouse plays like/better Amiga/PC. I only blame the internal Sega CD memory that allows only one save game if I remember correctly.

Thread Information