Quantcast

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Genesis games that had a definitive version on Sega CD

Hero of Algol

About Out of This World (Another World):

3DO's Out of this World is an abortion and nothing more. The original game design was fucked up by people who had nothing to do with the original team. The new compositions are good but for another game, the atmosphere is completely wrong...
    The backgrounds are digitized but characters aren't... It looks weird to say the least. All the environmental animation has gone, the whole concept is lost... Some other details were lost, like the crawlers in the first segment that don't drop anymore.
    Loading times are twice as long as the Sega CD version, the truly best one. Original game but running faster than any other console port, great sound effects and a soundtrack composed by the original composer, preserving the atmosphere of the game.
    3DO version also has additional loadings compared to the Sega CD and some slowdowns/sluggish moments too. The elevator in the second part clearly shows it. Some cutscenes run in lower framerate...

http://hg101.kontek.net/anotherworld/anotherworld.htm

The graphics are very close to the Amiga (Genesis/SCD version) so I don't see any reason to trash them. The SNES version only looks a bit more colorful but it's totally censored so I don't realize where is the advantage. The resolutions should be considered too.

Genesis/Sega CD version still has more details here and there than the SNES one. And both have more animations than the 3DO version, which is static for the most part.
    SNES has a lot of slowdown during the gameplay and cutscenes. Genesis has some noticeable slowdown but less than SNES. Sega CD has much less slowdown than both.
    3DO version didn't improved in such aspect. There are more slowdowns than on the Sega CD and additional loadings during the gameplay.

The sound is also superior on the Sega CD IMO. The 3DO sfx sound low quality sometimes (the voices and steps sound better on the Sega CD), lacking bass for the most part.

Out of this World isn't what I would call "colorful game" and I think the colors are OK on the Genesis/Sega CD; nothing strange or something.
    The resolution on Amiga is higher than on Genesis/Sega CD that is higher than on SNES.

The SNES is far superior to the Genesis version in the sound department. The sound effects are very weak in the Genesis version, some are missing, some are very low quality...
    And the music on the SNES is also far superior to the Mega Drive. FAR superior...
    IMO the Genesis version has the reasonable framerate as the main advantage over the SNES and, of course, no censorship... A bit more details/enemies here and there...

The Genesis version already had some advantages in the sound department with the addition of music for some action moments. However, the quality is so poor for the music and sfx that it's almost nothing in comparison. The Amiga version is far superior to the Genesis, also in terms of framerate.
    The SNES version had some upgrades over the Genesis version in the sound department. And I'm not talking about the far superior quality for the music and sfx, but there's more music for some other action moments. In comparison with the Amiga version it has a lot more music and the compositions are great. However, the sfx on the Amiga are still superior IMO and especially the voices sound deeply muffled on the SNES. The SNES version also suffers from very low framerate and loadings that are longer than the Sega CD ones, something really depressing for a cartridge version.

Well, I'll give you more details about sound...
    The Sega CD version is like an upgrade over the SNES one. It adds more music in the game and also with great compositions. It has more sfx than on the SNES and the quality is far superior; more channels are used at the same time too.
    Like I said before, it runs in a much higher framerate than the SNES version and also clearly better than the Genesis (especially in the worst moments of the Genesis version).

Comparing to the the Amiga, the Sega CD version has tons of added music and I think it's great for the game. The music has a lot of atmosphere, being minimal in the slow paced moments and stronger in the action ones... It's really great IMO.
    The voices are a bit better on the Sega CD and the sfx have a bit more quality (they are better equalized IMO, the Amiga version is only treble and treble; sometimes they sound clearly better on the Sega CD).
    The stereo sensation is still far better on the Amiga for the sfx but the CD soundtrack brings some compensation 'cause it has lots of tiny stereo effects to please your ears.
    I think the Amiga has more laser sfx in some parts too.

The Sega CD has a bit more sfx and they have better quality (the voices are clearly better) in comparison to the 3DO version.

The Amiga version is a very quiet game. The Sega CD has a lot more atmosphere.

The Sega CD has less slowdown than the Amiga version in the "heavy" action moments.

Hero of Algol

A bit more info about Samurai Shodown:
    -The Genesis version looks muuuuuch better than the Sega CD's when you are using component or scart video.
    -The backgrounds on the Genesis still preserve some "interactive" elements (like when you cut the flowers on Hanzo's stage). Sega CD version doesn't have them.
    -The water animation on Haohmaru's stage is closer to the arcade on the Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    From experience, Mickey Mania is certainly definitive on the Sega CD. But, even then, I wouldn't skip-out on the great chip tunes the Genny cartridge brings.
    I myself can't bear some notable omissions in the Mega-CD version, like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    Eternal Champions: has always felt to me like an enhanced version, but some people even go as far as calling it a sequel. It also is quite definitive on the Sega CD.
    That's because IT IS a sequel that takes part after the events of the first Eternal Champions game, with Shadow's ending accounted as canon.

The final sequel to the series was going to be Eternal Champions: The Final Chapter on the Sega Saturn.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training TMP's Avatar

Mickey Mania, Chuck Rock and Demolition Man are three I know off the top of my head.

Child in Time Nameless One Antony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    I myself can't bear some notable omissions in the Mega-CD version, like this one.

You know, I had exactly the same thought as I was ready to write about Mickey Mania, lol.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    Better on CD =

Flink
    . It's historically broken on Mega Drive.

Worse on CD =

Spiderman vs Kingpin: awful music and annoying extras.
    Earthworm Jim: the added level is mediocre, the music sounds inferior, and the extra touches added throughout the game are chintzy.
    Sol Feace = god awful slowdown and flicker.

add Mickey Mania = hearing his voice over and over is nettlesome and ruins the music.
    wow. about everything in your post is wrong. especially spiderman vs kingpin. the sega cd version is a ton better than the mega drive version

I like the videos and music in sega cd version. the fact that you could chose levels and see the whole city. it added lot more openworld feeling and the graphics looked to me a lot better as well or at least smoother animations.
    Last edited by bultje112; 03-30-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Please explain. I have both versions and I prefer the Genesis one. But, perhaps I'm missing something. The biggest difference is the cutscenes, which I prefer on Genesis. The original cutscenes have their own style, whereas the Sega CD ones look like typical PSX era cutscenes in really grainy form -- advanced for the time, but still not pretty. The only other differences I noticed are minimal -- better audio but it's a marginal difference, voice acting but it's terrible, faster saving, and that's about it.
    I like the suspensefull music. the fmv's I like, although are no huge deal in the game. same for voices

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

I finally just got around to playing Out of This World on 3DO. I have now spent two twenty minute sessions trying to get past the very first scene with the worms and the wild animal. So far I just cannot consistently jump between the damned worms, I either jump to soon or too late for some reason. I'll have to fire up the Sega CD game later on to see if I'm just inept or if this game just has crappy timing or something.

-edit-

Nevermind, I forgot you were supposed to kick all the worms. I figured I was supposed to run and jump over all of them three times.
    Last edited by sheath; 03-31-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

I can't remember if it has been mentioned but the Sega CD version of the 3 Ninjas Kick Back game is way better. Amazing soundtrack, greatly improved sound effects, 2 smooth scaling stages and good usage of FMV for once. The game is just ok but still, big improvement.
    EDIT:
    Last edited by Kamahl; 07-01-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Genesis

Regarding Samurai Shodown:

It is fascinating to read about the tiny differences between versions (which Sheath and some others were discussing a couple pages back). The arcade game is one of my favorite games ever and I have it on the PS2 S.S. Anthology.

I also have both the Genesis & Sega CD ports. But I'm not really going to comb through them to find every tiny difference, which is why I appreciate folks like Sheath taking the time to do that!

The comparison video is cool but it's not always completely obvious what all the differences are between the versions -- so I wd enjoy it explained with even more detail if anyone wanted to.

Also, to compare the home console ports of Samurai Shodown at that time, IMO the Sega CD version seems like the best -- aside from the 3DO, or Neo Geo versions.

The SNES version's characters should have been bigger; it looks awful! And the Genesis version is nice (with more small details intact from the arcade, apparently, like interactive background pieces, etc.) BUT Haomaru is missing his strong slash, possibly the most iconic move of the whole game!!!!

Also the Sega CD has the great arcade soundtrack -- though not quite arcade perfect, I just found out.

Anyways IMO the Sega CD version is best for the full arcade move-set, & soundtrack!!! Genesis version is nice but broken IMO with the missing moves!!!

To rate the home versions of the time (although I haven't played every single one):

--Neo Geo home version
    --3DO
    --Sega CD!
    --Genesis
    --SNES

Question: Were there more home versions of the time, that should be compared additionally? These are the ones that always get mentioned...
    Last edited by Ecco; 07-13-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Mortal Kombat on the Sega Cd is the best 16 bit version available IMO. Lethal Enforcers on Sega CD is pretty close to arcade. Out of this world due to exclusive heart of the alien game. Ecco the dolphin. I used to and still do play that sega cd in a cd player. Music is haunting and outstanding. And although it didn't have a cartridge port, Final Fight was better than the SNES port in almost every way.

wow. about everything in your post is wrong. especially spiderman vs kingpin. the sega cd version is a ton better than the mega drive version

I like the videos and music in sega cd version. the fact that you could chose levels and see the whole city. it added lot more openworld feeling and the graphics looked to me a lot better as well or at least smoother animations.
    Not really the MD version is better imo too. Its laid out and structured much better and lovely little Spiderman touches taking photo's gone .

Sol Feace = god awful slowdown and flicker.
    The MD version is just the same , only diff is the music
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Spider-Man Vs the Kingpin wasn't just 10 times better than the Genesis cart, its practically a whole new game. As well as showed off what the hardware could do.

Great gameplay, controls, colorful graphics, CD quality soundtrack to full effect, cartoony cinematics and spiffy voice acting that enhanced the experience, a large world to explore, neat selection of enemies, etc.

This one is up there along with Sonic CD and Final fight as the "big three" definitive titles, that were great games AND made good use of the hardware. I remember seeing this gem at a K-mart on discount and with new SCD releases being sparse, decided to give it a shot. Glad i did.

Edit: To further beat a dead horse, this is probably the BEST Spider-Man game of the 16-bit era!

As well as showed off what the hardware could do
    How ?. Zero scaling or rotation effects , a rather piss poor cartoon intro and not the best use of the Mega CD PCM chip - Give me the Cart version anyday of week - The soundtrack was great though I must admit
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    How ?. Zero scaling or rotation effects , a rather piss poor cartoon intro and not the best use of the Mega CD PCM chip - Give me the Cart version anyday of week - The soundtrack was great though I must admit

• Great soundtrack
    • Cool cinematics throughout the game adding to the experience
    • Much improved graphics and animation(cart game looks ugly as hell by comparison)
    • Improved gameplay
    • Rebuilt with a much larger world to explore

^^ Genesis hardware alone could not have contained such goodness. The Sega CD version not only craps all over the cart release, but uses the features of the hardware and CD format to full effect. Its a stellar title on the Sega CD.

Edit: Yes i don't think it used the mode 7 chip, but everything else was there.
    Last edited by Saturn Fan; 10-28-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Thread Information