Quantcast

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Genesis vs. SNES: Game-by-game comparisons.

Suggestion:

I think will be bether this thread turns into a comparison central following the same rules, incluinding mega drive vs any system that we can compare like pc-engine, amiga and etc.. it gonna be good to comunity finds good stuff about this material on the same place

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Genesis vs arcade comparisons would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

just a general port differences is perfect. Either way, I'm happy we are focusing more on this topic. Such a great read.

-SEGA-Jorge

Hero of Algol

I've once again restores its images and provided more details to the Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure comparison.

It's interesting to notice how the tile work was simplified in some screens of the SNES/other versions (if you can look past the awful palette choices of the Genesis one):

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    the following was originally posted by -RT, but written by ALEX_230_VOLT

Flashback
    Genre: Adventure shooter. A MASTERPIECE
    Case: B
    Verdict: Genesis and Genesis only.
    Here we have one of the most successful and most-ported games of 16-bit era. The game was on Amiga, Acorn Archimedes, Atari ST, Mega Drive/Genesis, MS-DOS (floppy disk & CD-ROM), NEC PC-9801, 3DO, Atari Jaguar, CD-i, FM Towns, Mac OS, Sega CD, iPhone OS.

What am I leading to? To the fact that none of those ports was as ridiculously bad as SNES version!

SNES:

Genesis:

SNES cons:
    1) HORRIBLE slowdowns, both with game loading and with cutscenes loading, and also in gameplay when there are many enemies on the screen
    2) HORRIBLE music quality. Many tracks were just cut out of the game (especially small tracks and holocube music)
    3) It gets worse with sounds - even the battery charging sound is left out!

SNES pros:
    1) It's hard to believe, since they cut out 60% of sounds and music, they ADDED on track that wasn't in Genesis version! The track sounds when you arrive in New Washington

Differences:
    1) SNES has usual character palettes, Genesis has exclusive ones (the main character has white shirt instead of red and the enemies are red instead of yellow)
    2) Third level in Genesis version is called "Death Tower", on SNES it's "Cyber Tower"
    3) Genesis version had bug that lets you pass through walls, it was corrected in SNES version.

Verdict: if you have SNES cartridge with this game - throw it out of the window and forget that this version even exists. If you want to play the game play Genesis or 3DO version.
    What's wrong with the Amiga version?

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

^Just to be clear, the post you've quoted was originally from -RT, so you'd have to ask him.

Life got busy for me, but I'll try to get my Andre Agassi Tennis and No Escape comparisons done sometime over the summer.

I've also got a "different name, same game" comparison brewing for Davis Cup Tennis on the Genesis vs. International Tour Tennis on the SNES, and that's an eye-opening one indeed.

BTW there are some detailed comments from leatherrebel5150 on NintendoAge about the differences in 3 Ninjas Kick Back on the SNES vs. Genesis, here:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/message...tRow=14#bottom

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Do we have a full list of all the games that were released on both SNES and Genesis? It would be nice to have a table with all the 4th gen consoles as well as arcade.

Here is a great overview of all 16-bits shmup arcade ports if anyone is interested.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59738

Hero of Algol

Perikles is awesome. Him and Kollision are my go-to sources for 16-bit shooters details.

That's the kind of post which debunks anyone who tries to diminish the quality of the MD's shooter library.
    Last edited by Barone; 05-01-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vludi View Post
    Here is a great overview of all 16-bits shmup arcade ports if anyone is interested.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59738
    Hey, that's not bad at all.

Regarding Same!x3/Fire Shark, the arcade version turned out incredible hard due to management pressure in order to make the game more profitable to operators. When developing the MD port, the guys at Toaplan had a chance to rectify this, by better balancing the game and adding/correcting other stuff.

I think that's safe to say that the MD version can be considered the definitive version of this great game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottino View Post
    I think that's safe to say that the MD version can be considered the definitive version of this great game.
    Well it all depends on how hard you like your games, hardcore japanese players that can multiloop the original arcade will of course prefer that, while those who want a more relaxed experience will prefer the MD port. It's good to have both versions around (also the arcade has many different revisions)

A game can be as hard as it's designers intended it to be, which wasn't the case with Fire Shark.

One regret I have is not being able to balance the difficulty in a way that would satisfy both game center owners and players. (Yuge)

Q. Why is there such a huge difference in difficulty between the 1P and 2P versions?

A. There was a lot of pressure to make games that would bring in a lot of income for arcade operators. We fought about that a lot. We had to accomodate our work to this sales/business perspective, and we were forced to make a game that would, in the short term, build a lot of income. I regret it. Iím glad we were able to fix that for the Megadrive port.

Q. Why did you add a loop clear bonus at the ending?

A. Being so difficult (even clearing one loop is a struggle), we wanted to reward the player.
    Fire Shark AC is the product that corporate BS forced the Toaplan staff to do, while the MD version is the one that they intended to make in the first place.

Yeah I'm aware of that interview, still the final word is always on each player, for many veterans Same!3 1P is the definitive version for being the most demanding one (and even then it didn't stop players from looping it dozens of times). And again it's only the Japanese 1P version that is outrageously difficult, all the other arcade revisions are quite easier and removed the checkpoints.
    Last edited by Vludi; 05-02-2017 at 01:01 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Once Papi Commando SNES is done, you can then compare that

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by stika View Post
    Phantom 2040
    Genre: Adventure shooter
    Case: C
    Verdict: Super Nintendo
    Both games were released at the same time and play similarly. The Genesis has overall more effects but the suffers from a very noticeable lower color count and lower quality sound effects

SNES Pros:
    Attachment 8189
    1) The SNES has a higher color count, this is especially noticeable on some of the enemy designs
    2) Cutscenes generally have more detail
    3) The Water effects are more noticeable and featured more prominently on this version
    4) In the industry level you can see a smoke animation on the background, this isn't present on the Genesis version
    5) Destructible barrels have blinking lights on the SNES version
    6) It has more sound effects like the Phantom screaming when he jumps at the beginning of the game
    7) The Sound effects are of a higher quality

Genesis Pros
    Attachment 8190
    1) The Genesis seems to have more background images, the SNES re-uses the same backgrounds more often
    2) The open levels generally feature 4 layers of clouds moving at different speeds in parallax scrolling. On the SNES version the clouds don't move
    3) The levels generally have more blinking lights, these are static in the SNES version
    4) Has an extra cutscene right at the ending explaining a bit more of the story

Other changes:

1) In the SNES version, killing the optional boss in the University drops a permanent weapon upgrade, on the Genesis it doesn't though the game still lists the weapon in the menu. I assume you have to get it through some other means
    2) Noticed a few extra enemies here and there in the Genesis version
    3) Music is completely different in both versions. The SNES is very electric guitar based whereas the Genesis is more techno. I thought the SNES had catchier music, but that was a matter of personal taste
    Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    I had promised to do it a while ago; well, here is it:

5) Is not exactly true. Destructible barrels also blink on the Genesis, the difference is that they blink when you hit them.
    Here:
    http://youtu.be/g74YENClOCo?t=4m56s

7) IDK, the SNES sfx are deeply, deeply muffled for the most part; though some sound better... It's a mixed bag IMO; SNES have more sounds but worse quality (Genesis is the opposite, of course). Here are two real hardware videos to give us a better idea:
    SNES:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM2e8aE7nBI

Genesis:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g74YENClOCo

I'd add:
    8) The boss of the "Train Station" is articulated on the SNES, unlike in the Genesis version.

SNES version not only recycles backgrounds as it also recycles some animation details and have segments with black empty background where the Genesis had a proper one.

Maybe I'd add one or more of the following:
    5) It doesn't have in game pause for loading like in the SNES.
    6) Genesis version runs at higher res and so your view of the level/enemies/platforms is wider.
    7) Aside from blinking, stages are better animated; some examples:
    a)http://youtu.be/D0kZIqdB-0Q?t=6m22s vs http://youtu.be/860MJhTcUGo?t=3s
    b) http://youtu.be/Bb7pjZQqnBw?t=3m10s vs http://youtu.be/vNWbAdQzqL4?t=4m4s (Faster scrolling on the Genesis, with the sides looking static on the SNES)
    8) Less slowdown.
    9) More enemies (Iknow you've already mentioned it as "extra details" but I think it's one of the pros here) in situations like this:
    SNES: http://youtu.be/lihn7uX0AGs?t=4m20s
    Genesis: http://youtu.be/RUS8DAJydTY?t=3m58s

Also, just as a comment, I don't think the color difference is so huge in this case as you suggested; the foreground of some stages are actually better colored on the Genesis IMO and it's actually one of the games who make a very good use of its palette IMO. Of course, the color counts are higher and the shading is overall better on the SNES, yes.
    And I'd probably have gone with the Genesis version instead of the SNES; the former is more polished all around IMO.
    I just noticed that the explosion effects are also reduced/simplified on the SNES:

It's kinda common cut in SNES games in order to reduce the VRAM usage by sprites (since all explosion sources are synchronized to display the same animation frame you don't need to have all the explosion frames in the VRAM at once) and also to avoid/reduce flickering (the number of simultaneous sprites/explosion sources is clearly reduced).

Thread Information